swine flu

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NetherlandDwarf wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090429/ap_on_he_me/swine_flu_world

Asian nations greeted returning airport travelers with teams of medical workers and carts of disinfectants, eager to keep swine flu from infecting their continent.

I wonder if this will work for them? because i hear and read how there's really no point to watch borders & airports because it will spread anyways, but all the asian countries are trying their hardest for it not to come into their countries. but at the same time will they report it if they do get a case of swine flu. a lot of those countries really reguard their privacy. But at the same time i think if they start to get quite a few cases of the swine flu they are going to have to report it. it will be interesting to watch to see if this will help them combat the swine flu, because if it does we should have done this from day one.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090501/ap_on_he_me/as_hong_kong_swine_flu

Hong Kong has their first report. they are going into extreme measures.

hartleybun wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:
Not sure about the rest of the world but the USA has a tradition of making cheesy movies out of things like this.

So those in the USA how long before they make one?
can i play the part of the housewife whose kids are convinced her hot flushes and bunny-fluff induced cough are swine flu? she's then forced to fake it cos the kids have signed an exclusive deal with Hello Magasine. kids pose for pics holding boxes of tamiflu, whilst hubby prays that the dogs cant get it....:biggrin2:
:p

Its not as bad as it seem my sister pediatrition said its not the flu it self killing in mexico its the fever and the dehidration. As long as she keeps the girl hydrated and there fever in the lower range with meds there body will fight it.

He said the test is just to know so they can notify the girls school.

Its a virus he said no true cure its just keeping the systems under control so the body can fight it off.Its like the cold virus. Just much worse. Thats from the horses mouth considering my neices where just tested this morning he also said they media is making seem so much worse. My sister pedi also told her if the girl stay at 103 for more then 1 hour bring them to the ER. Then its time for some drastic measure to get there fever down.

For everyone feak out look up what a high fever conbinded with dehydration can do to a body. Thats the info my sister got from her doctor.

Brandy456 wrote:
Becca wrote:
Flashy wrote:
Becca why are you still reading this? You ignore what people say and are just panicking. You've been told a lot of useful and rational info, but you're just allowing yourself to panic. Do you REALLY think your mum would put you at risk?

Why not just stop reading this thread when you know it distresses you?

I'm only reading it because I want to know whats happening..... though I don't suppose theres any point. I'm not ignoring what you say.... its not my fault I'm a worrying freak. People just don't understand me I guess :(Everyone is getting annoyed with me.

I won't come back to this thread.

Becca just calm down, you're fine. If you had Swine flu you'd surely feel it and know it and probably be hugging the toillette bowl right now.

hahaha oh em gee i'm litterally LOLing right now! :p
i don't know why i find it so funny! :biggrin2:
:blushan: I think its cuz the lack of energy from two hours of soccer training haha. OH em gee, LOL.

sorry i have problems. tehe.

The swine flu sucks! My best friend's wedding has been canceled because of it :pssd: They were supposed to leave Sunday for mexico and be married a few days later. This past Wednesday they got the call that all mexico flights have been canceled. So no wedding for them :(

They had planned a small reception here in town for may 30th so they are now frantically trying to turn that into a full wedding but with 4 weeks notice its a bit hard.

So my week has been hecktic and i'm still surprised my friend hasn't had a nervous breakdown. I'd still be crying if my wedding was canceled.

So stupid swine flu!

I'm a teacher and my school district has not closed any of our schools because this isn't something to shut a school down over. I'm sticking to my comment about the media sensationalizing things. ;)

t.

degrassi wrote:
The swine flu sucks! My best friend's wedding has been canceled because of it :pssd: They were supposed to leave Sunday for mexico and be married a few days later. This past Wednesday they got the call that all mexico flights have been canceled. So no wedding for them :(

They had planned a small reception here in town for may 30th so they are now frantically trying to turn that into a full wedding but with 4 weeks notice its a bit hard.

So my week has been hecktic and i'm still surprised my friend hasn't had a nervous breakdown. I'd still be crying if my wedding was canceled.

So stupid swine flu!
That same thing happend to my brothers' Aunts' friend. .. do those friends happen to live in ottawa ?

JadeIcing wrote:
Not sure about the rest of the world but the USA has a tradition of making cheesy movies out of things like this.

So those in the USA how long before they make one?
Will this be a realistic movie about how everyone freaked out and nothing actually happened? I guess that wouldn't sell very well!

Many years ago, there was a made-for-tv miniseries version of Stephen King's _The Stand_. With Molly Ringwald and Gary Sinise. I'm not too excited about the good vs. evil themes in that book, but there is a flu epidemic that kills most of the population of the US. A good book, but quite a cheesy movie version.

I forgot to mention earlier, another thing I heard on Science Friday today: Apparantly, the swine flu going around now does NOT have the genetic markers for extreme virulence that the 1918 flu had. So that's a good thing!

The people who was/were (sorry bad grammar ...) in quarantine in Auckies are back at school a few days ago, I would be sooo HAPPY after being in quarantine for like weeks.

About the movie thing... i think they would make something like it just more EXTREME and EXAGGERATED.

;)

BethM wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:
BethM, actually it IS people coming down with it now. We have 2 more NEW cases in Indiana.

I just heard on the radio (Science Friday) that there are at least 2,000 suspected cases in Mexico that they don't even have the results for yet, and are so backlogged it will take them several days to complete all the testing. By the time the results are done, some of those people will probably be well again. Also, that people have had this in Mexico for at least a month before it even got reported.

Just because it's a NEW case, it didn't just happen THIS MINUTE or TODAY. That's just when the tests were confirmed. It takes time for the test to complete accurately. There are probably 10 more people with it in Indiana RIGHT NOW who aren't feeling sick yet, or the test results aren't in yet.

I do wish people would quit panicking over this, it's not doing anyone any good.

Most people aren't panicing, but being cautious. Hopefully the deaths in Mexico are the end of that but still - who wants to be that sick? I hate the flu. This is worse than the flu is symtomactically.... I don't want that crap!

NEW means new here. The child became sick 2 days ago and was immediately tested and we got the results today. I've heard other reports of "they became ill yesterday,... " type things..... it's still spreading. How far it spreads can be stopped if we close schools, etc., until it passes.

Brandy456 wrote:
degrassi wrote:

So stupid swine flu!
That same thing happend to my brothers' Aunts' friend. .. do those friends happen to live in ottawa ?
No they are from here in Edmonton

Definitely good news but still it's moving around.

Regarding conditions in Mexico/health standards, etc: Regardless of the feelings of how Mexico is thought of - their living standards in some areas are definitely not as sanitary as most US places. Many people leave Mexico because of those conditions.

When they move into this country - some still continue the poor conditions. My sister managed an apartment complex where some immigrants were living. They had about 4 people listed as living in the one bedroom apartment and she believes there were more like 4 families. She allowed it cause they were no real problem, but when they moved out and she went into the apartment for cleaning, it was absolutely disgusting! They had to literally have the entire apartment redone.

HUMAN CRAP in corners of rooms isn't healthy/sanitary/etc. Third world? maybe not, but health standards are NOT nearly as high as the USA.

I know there's 5 or so schools closed in Washington State, mostly in the Seattle area.
13 probable cases total (last update I heard; probably more now) in Washington.
My sister told me she heard that there were 2 suspected cases in Thurston County which could bump up the total to 15+.

I think it's moving south.
We're supposed to go on a vacation in June, and my mom says that if Swine Flu is in Seaside, Oregon (where we're goin) that we can't go...:( Hopefully it isn't.

Emily

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
I know there's 5 or so schools closed in Washington State, mostly in the Seattle area.
13 probable cases total (last update I heard; probably more now) in Washington.
My sister told me she heard that there were 2 suspected cases in Thurston County which could bump up the total to 15+.

I think it's moving south.
We're supposed to go on a vacation in June, and my mom says that if Swine Flu is in Seaside, Oregon (where we're goin) that we can't go...:( Hopefully it isn't.

Emily
they closed schools in federal way and in lakewood

Latest posts

Back