Sukura's kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to try, massage the nipple a little and gently stroke downward, kind of like you'd milk a cow, but much gentler. You will usually get a drop or two of milk to express. Have the baby right there and try putting it up against the milk, kind of rub it's mouth on it. Sometimes that works to get a baby to suckle.

I was afraid to mention the idea that she didn't reject the babies, but you may haveended up with a litter with a majority of "double dwarf" babies. (Strong dwarfing genes in your pair, Paul!)

But I suspect that may be what happened. "Peanuts" (called that because they tend to look like a peanut when born), inherit a dwarfing gene from both parents. Unfortunately, it is always fatal, usually within a week after birth. It is believed that they can not process any nutrients. They generally do not even try to eat.

Is there any way you could take a picture of the two together so that maybe experienced breeders can give their opinion whether you have a peanut or a runt?

Oh! Now I'm more confused! There's more posts above mine that weren't there before!!:shock:

Ahhh... There are 3 pages. What a dumb mistake! Okay, I'll start reading! ;)

It probably has to do with the change over. I don't think Paul has updated since the new forum. And if he did I can't see the posts

I don't like the new layout of the forum as much. It's confusing! :D

Hopefully when he comes back on he'll let us know how they are all doing.

irishbunny wrote:
Hopefully when he comes back on he'll let us know how they are all doing.
I also prefur the old layout, I was on this morning at like 7.30am gmt time, just didn't update on the babies, We only have one left, It is now eight days old and were feeding it 4 times a day off momma's milk but It is not putting on the weight? It is really strong and wriggling about so any advise?

Check the baby's belly after feeding it. Does it look full? Kind of like it swallowed a ping pong ball? The tummy area should look distended and tight.

BlueGiants wrote:
Check the baby's belly after feeding it. Does it look full? Kind of like it swallowed a ping pong ball? The tummy area should look distended and tight.
When it is outstreched it looks all skinny and sickly. But when it is huddled up it is all Tubby.

Do you give her unlimited hay to munch on too?

Flashy wrote:
How many pellets did you give her before (like a rough amount, I don't expect you to count pellets), and how many do you give her now?
I used to fill half of her bowl now I give a bit more then that.

Latest posts

Back