Sukura's kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can say that I really don't think a house is a good setting to breed bunnies. I have a seperate building designed for my breeding. I make sure that there is limited noise and disturbance for the expectant mothers during their pregnancy as the stress can lead to them losing their kits. I also do not move a mother after she is pregnant because this too is stressful. Having a place that is quiet is the first thing you need prior to even think about breeding any of your bunnies.

The second thing I'd add is that I only check my newborns twice a day until they are old enough to have their eyes open and to be handled more often. I check them in the morning when I do my rounds and in the afternoon when I do the same. The rabbits are used to this schedule and they are comfortable with it. The moms will tend to feed their babies twice a day. Most likely I will see the kits after one of these feedings during the day. Their bellies will be round from all the milk mom has given them.

I do not handle my bunnies much in the first two weeks as moms are pretty good at doing their jobs if left alone. You need to have some faith in her that if she has them in the nest she's going to probably care enough about them to also feed them. Does that don't feed their kits, in my experience, is rather rare. It's more common to find first time mothers who scatter their kits in the nest box or who have them outside the nest box due to inexperience in birthing most likely. However, even if they do this the first time they will not necessarily do it the second time.

To be honest, I find breeding the Lionheads one of the easier breeds to breed. The fact that you're having such difficulty tells me that there is either something wrong in your setup or your care of the mothers and their kits. I'd advise doing as much research as possible and having the proper setup before risking another one of your does with another pregnancy. Keep in mind that pregnancies can go wrong and if you are not prepared to deal with the situation, you may lose your bunny. That's a hard price to pay just to try your hand a breeding.

murph72 wrote:
I can say that I really don't think a house is a good setting to breed bunnies. I have a seperate building designed for my breeding.

Oh wow....I wish I'd known that before my 70+ litters were bred, born and raised in the house...

Now I gotta go build a barn...(oops - I gave up breeding - I don't need a barn).

I've known several other breeders though who have their rabbits (and breed) in the house - sometimes a separate section like a basement or a separate room.

Just my .02

TinysMom wrote:
murph72 wrote:
I can say that I really don't think a house is a good setting to breed bunnies.  I have a seperate building designed for my breeding. 

Oh wow....I wish I'd known that before my 70+ litters were bred, born and raised in the house...

Now I gotta go build a barn...(oops - I gave up breeding - I don't need a barn).

I've known several other breeders though who have their rabbits (and breed) in the house - sometimes a separate section like a basement or a separate room.

Just my .02

would just like to say.. thnx for that comment... i see a fight or something going on here soon... please everyone dont kill me after this comment.

I don't know the whole story to this as I just skimmed through the this page and the last but I would say to make sure they don't ever get bred again.

They obviously aren't cut out to be bunny parents and you don't sound like you care that you are buying them and breeding them right away.

And just because the mom is cute doesn't mean she needs to be bred, she might not have babies that look like her.

One question is Sakura and Suki the same rabbit?

I will not apologize for my statements. I feel that you either can afford to breed in an environment that is free from stress for your bunnies, or you shouldn't be breeding. I stand by that 100%. I think this is especially true in a household where there are other pets, small children, or many people that will be disturbing the does. Yes, you can have them in your house if you have a calm house and the inhabitants of that house are going to give the does their space, privacy, and will know the proper way to handle them....however, and here's the big however, I'm getting the idea here that Paul's family may not know what they are doing with breeding and his household is not the best environment to raise rabbits in.

Disagree with me if you want and I'm certainly not trying to start an argument, but I am tired of people who think that breeding rabbits is something you should do if you have two rabbits that you like. Breeding rabbits should not be done on a whim. It is harmful to the rabbits you profess to love. If you don't know what you're doing you put your own rabbits at risk. I've personally had to help give birth to stuck kits. If you're not prepared for such a situation, it's too late to learn online what to do. If you don't act your doe dies. In my opinion, that's too late to learn what you're doing. Research first. Set up a proper area to breed first. Know the market for the rabbits you want to sell. Then, and only then, think aboutbreeding your rabbits.

murph72 wrote:
but I am tired of people who think that breeding rabbits is something you should do if you have two rabbits that you like. Breeding rabbits should not be done on a whim. It is harmful to the rabbits you profess to love. If you don't know what you're doing you put your own rabbits at risk. I've personally had to help give birth to stuck kits. If you're not prepared for such a situation, it's too late to learn online what to do. If you don't act your doe dies. In my opinion, that's too late to learn what you're doing. Research first. Set up a proper area to breed first. Know the market for the rabbits you want to sell. Then, and only then, think aboutbreeding your rabbits.
I so agree with this 100%. I made horrific mistakes and only bred successfully after I realised I didn't know as much as I thought and went out and learnt, and BOY did I learn! I just really, really agree with this.

I really don't think a house is a good place to breed either, I've said that before I think, unless you have a quiet rooms that you won't be in and out of alot and isn't noisy.

It could also be due to bad genetics. That's the problem with putting two rabbits together when you don't know their background. Though I admit I'm thinking it's an environment issue. I honestly don't know why you want to breed so bad Paul, especially after all the unnecessary heartbreak the rabbits (and yourself) have been put through. If you are serious about breeding correctly (to improve the breed) then you really need to step back, research, and do it correctly.

Just my two cents.

Yup. How are the rabbits Paul? When is Suki due? Are you keeping Savannah?

Happi Bun--you definitely make a good point. Genetics could certainly be an issue since they are unknown in these two rabbits. Since they are pet store bunnies there's the possibility that this might even be inbreeding. I've found that in my local area it is the same breeders that seem to supply rabbits to the pet stores, so these rabbits might be more closely related than is safe to breed.

Paul has been made very aware of the problems like genetics, pet shop bunnies, rushing into it, lack of knowledge, lack of preparation, lack of resources, unideal circumstances, etc. All these points are right and valid, and have been raised to Paul several times before. Hopefully this time he will take them on board more than he has before.

Msn is what people call Windows Live Messenger, which is a one to one messenging service. http://download.live.com/?sku=messenger

In terms of Paul, often he seems to say what he thinks people want to hear, so what he says his plans are, and what his plans are may be different. HOWEVER, having said that, I'm hoping that this experience has alerted Paul to the risks and problems of breeding and he will now start to do it properly, and get a good, solid plan in place, with help from a decent, responsible breeder. :)

Latest posts

Back