Sukura's kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sabine wrote:
paul2641 wrote:
Sabine wrote:
paul2641 wrote:
Sabine wrote:
What happened?
I had said earlier that it was very skinny so we had increased it's feedings to 4 times a day but that didn't work?
Didn't you keep the baby with the mom? I thought Sakura wasn't harming her babies? Maybe it got chilled?
She rejected them, I thought she was feeding them but she wasn't.
But she was feeding them at the start. They only feed once or twice a day. Maybe she got stressed out being made to feed them?
Well I really don't know I only looked in and they seemed fatty But then they all became skinny.

I can't quite make sense of all this but one thing is for sure. You must change your approach to breeding or preferably stop experimenting. Maybe an experienced breeder might take you under his/her wings to help you through the next lot of litters so that this tragedy doesn't repeat again

Sabine wrote:
I can't quite make sense of all this but one thing is for sure. You must change your approach to breeding or preferably stop experimenting. Maybe an experienced breeder might take you under his/her wings to help you through the next lot of litters so that this tragedy doesn't repeat again
I wasn't experimenting, I didn't mix breeds.

paul2641 wrote:
Sabine wrote:
I am not talking about mixing breeds but throwing together pet shop bunnies that you only just bought. Sakura was in your house a few days and she got pregnant. Suki was bred to Roger from the word go and i put money on Savannah expecting a litter. And you weren't even set up for breeding. All of them were bought and kept as pet bunnies

Sabine wrote:
paul2641 wrote:
Sabine wrote:
I am not talking about mixing breeds but throwing together pet shop bunnies that you only just bought. Sakura was in your house a few days and she got pregnant. Suki was bred to Roger from the word go and i put money on Savannah expecting a litter. And you weren't even set up for breeding. All of them were bought and kept as pet bunnies
Savannah isn't excepting a litter at all. Suki is though.

paul2641 wrote:
irishbunny wrote:
Experimenting isn't just mixing breeds.
So you mean breeding all my rabbits? Because I don't know there genetics?
It's not only their genetics you don't know. You don't even get a chance to get to know them as animals, what they are like...

I think what Sabine basically means is your breeding irresponsibly, you know, breeding them when your not setup for it and basically breeding them as soon as you get the rabbit, and you are paying the price by the does rejecting the kits.

I do hope all the people that encouraged your breeding will be there to support you when Suki has her litter. i'd love to come up with advice but i lack experience and i can't make sense of what is happening. I don't think an outside hutch setting is an option though because it is still going to be cold in a few weeks time. Maybe the shed option?

Paul, it sounds like Sakura may not be cut out to be a mother. Not all rabbits have good maternal instinct. I think I'd retire her to be a companion bunny.

BlueGiants wrote:
Paul, it sounds like Sakura may not be cut out to be a mother. Not all rabbits have good maternal instinct. I think I'd retire her to be a companion bunny.
I was thinking that, But I really want suki to be a mother as I love her patterns she is so darn cute:pinkbouce:.

Unfortunately, we don't always get what we want. I suggest you sit down with a breeder and talk them through everything rhat happened before, and maybe that can advise you for where you went wrong, and what you can do to give them a better chance next time.

Flashy wrote:
Unfortunately, we don't always get what we want. I suggest you sit down with a breeder and talk them through everything rhat happened before, and maybe that can advise you for where you went wrong, and what you can do to give them a better chance next time.
I understand I can't get everything I want, So I will live with what I can get.

I agree with whats been said about the stress to me i feel maybe to much fuss is happening over the babies i know you said you checked the nest 2-3 times aday but how many times was your mum, other siblings or dad were looking at them. if i had a baby i really wouldnt want everyone looking and holding it all the time.

i suggest when your other doe has her babies check them once a day and dont let your mum or anyone else check the nest. once a day will be enough in my opinion.

has anyone got any pictures of say an unfed kit all shrivled time to worry stage and a fed kit? just so Paul knows what to look out for as i feel its also panic on pauls side of teh kits not being fed when they are. i know 2 of Crystals kits were slightly wrinkly but they were being fed and both survived and grew upbut id imagine an unexperienced person would automatically panic.

I send him a youtube video link before which shows a fed kit and an unfed kit, not sure if he kept the link or not though.

irishbunny wrote:
I send him a youtube video link before which shows a fed kit and an unfed kit, not sure if he kept the link or not though.
If it was through pm onRO I still have it, but if it wasthrough emailmore then likely I wouldn'thave it,all my links are on the old computer.

Could you move Suki into a sheltered shed? I remember you saying you had a shed that wasn't used?

A sheltered shed sounds like a good idea.

BlueGiants wrote:
She's only had one litter though, hasn't she? Sometimes 1st mums don't know what to do. If you want to start breeding, maybe get rabbits from breeders? Good luck! Sorry to hear the kits died :(

Latest posts

Back