Sukura's kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul2641

Reaction score
Hi everyone Keep a calm head. Sukura gave birth to 4 little kits(unexpected litter). She gave birth to them between 3 and 8 this morning. She had fed them when I saw them at 8 and has built a warm nest for them. So I am not going to interfere, I will let her raise them. This was a completely unexpected litter. We have all rabbits separated, Savannah has her own cage we got it today. We are getting another hutch tomorrow so when I need to wean the kits, I can move them into a separate cage. And of course kits are with mother.So now I will have a cage to wean kits when I have more litters. So now I have finally gotten everything together and I can breed knowing I'm doing everything correct.

Lover_Of_Lopz wrote:
I am goingto dye if you dont put picks on soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

--Nicky

I plan to post pics soon.

My worry is this she has started to poo in the oppisite corner from where the nest is, Is she now starting to neglect them, There all still pretty round apart from the little pink one,Oh and every time I go to look at them she runs over and stands over them, Is this a good sign. When should I worry? And if this little pink one still looks alot less rounder then the others tomorrow should I give him some boba(Kitten milk supplement?).

IMO I wouldn't worry that she's pooing in the other corner than the baby's 'cause that's what you want her to do. You don't want to her go on the baby's. If the little one isn't being feed fell I wouldn't do the bottle just try and hold her over the kits or pick her up and put the baby on top.
If she's runny over to the kits when she see's you she's just being a good mummy keeping a close eye on them.

Do not give milk replacement to kits that are being nursed. As long as his belly has some roundness, he's been fed and is ok. If his belly looks shriveled or he consistently has a less full belly over several days, just hold Sakura in your lap and place the baby under her to nurse.

It would be a good idea to pick up the entire nest and put it into a nest box. Sakura should be ok with it. This will keep the babies from accidentally wandering out of the nest and getting too cold. In a pinch you can use a cardboard box, small plastic tub, etc.

And start getting more cages now, especially recently bred another girl didn't you? Also try to figure out how she got pregnant. Keep in mind that rabbits can breed through cage wire when they really want to, or if you have younger siblings that may have put them together.

naturestee wrote:
Do not give milk replacement to kits that are being nursed.  As long as his belly has some roundness, he's been fed and is ok.  If his belly looks shriveled or he consistently has a less full belly over several days, just hold Sakura in your lap and place the baby under her to nurse.

It would be a good idea to pick up the entire nest and put it into a nest box.  Sakura should be ok with it.  This will keep the babies from accidentally wandering out of the nest and getting too cold.  In a pinch you can use a cardboard box, small plastic tub, etc.

And start getting more cages now, especially recently bred another girl didn't you?  Also try to figure out how she got pregnant.  Keep in mind that rabbits can breed through cage wire when they really want to, or if you have younger siblings that may have put them together.
My mother had been letting Momma out with Roger(male), I didn't know this was happening.All the kits are round and there skin is tight,there are no wrinkles on the babies so it means she is feeding the, You sure she will know the kits are in a box, She is always with, And i've never seen them out of the nest. Biggest question, when Suki has her babies and if she regects them can I foster them To Sukura?

Posted: 4 Jan 2009 07:14 pm
button2_left.gif
spacer.gif

Sabine wrote:
Frankly at this critical stage I would get any cage/hutch at any price. i also agree that teaching the doe to feed is preferable to handrearing them.
P.S. Did you try to force her to feed them before she started cannibalizing them?
Paul wrote:"I only went near them to put them in the nest and that was like 4hours before she ate any of them. And she seemed grand with me touching them. I tried them up against her nipple once and she wasn't having it she wouldn't sit still and she killed another baby. that brought us to 3 because when she was trying to get away she bit onto it I pulled her away and thought it would be ok but obv not. then I went again to try and she broke skin and I was bleeding( I had three pairs of gloves on think working gloves and she got through) She wants nothing to do with the babies. So I will have to hand hear them. I think I'm going to section suki off and if she doesn't improve on behaviour I'm going to sell her. She has always been nasty. Sukura will make a wonderful mother, she is so friendly."

No, the kits will be too old for Suki's babies to be fostered to Sukura's. They should be fostered with, ideally, kits of only a day or so different, although I believe there is more leeway if necessary (this is why most decent breeders breed at least two buns at the same time).

You want her to go to the toilet away from the babies. You obviously don't want her to go to the loo in the nest, so she is doing the right thing.

There is no reason for try and supplement any baby unless mum's milk dries up, but right now it sounds like she is being ace.

And yes, a nestbox is a good idea. She will obviously know they are there because you are using all the same material and will put it in the same (or near enough) place, plus rabbits aren't stupid and she will be able to find them. It will keep them safer.

Flashy wrote:
No, the kits will be too old for Suki's babies to be fostered to Sukura's. They should be fostered with, ideally, kits of only a day or so different, although I believe there is more leeway if necessary (this is why most decent breeders breed at least two buns at the same time).

You want her to go to the toilet away from the babies. You obviously don't want her to go to the loo in the nest, so she is doing the right thing.

There is no reason for try and supplement any baby unless mum's milk dries up, but right now it sounds like she is being ace.

And yes, a nestbox is a good idea. She will obviously know they are there because you are using all the same material and will put it in the same (or near enough) place, plus rabbits aren't stupid and she will be able to find them. It will keep them safer.
Wouldn't I be weaning the kits at this age? So I would only be putting her kits in there for a short period of time, And for the time when her kits are out away from her, I can put suki's kits in there?

I hope so too Sabine.

No, you can't put Suki's kits in there. Sukura is not stupid, she will know. She will need her kits weaned at 8 weeks, and given that Suki's may be born in 4, that does not add up. Plus, the milk is different at different ages for the kits, so Suki's kits would not get the rich early milk they need.

Flashy wrote:
No, you can't put Suki's kits in there. Sukura is not stupid, she will know. She will need her kits weaned at 8 weeks, and given that Suki's may be born in 4, that does not add up. Plus, the milk is different at different ages for the kits, so Suki's kits would not get the rich early milk they need.
Ok I will not put them on sukura if suki rejects her kits.

If yo do everything right with Suki this time there will be a far lesser chance of them rejecting her. The chance of rejection is something that you should have considered before breeding her. Ideally you could have done with having someone available to foster them too but that's obviously not happened. You could, however, try making contact with breeders in your area to see if there is anyone around that might be able to help if necessary (I know that you said there are only smaller breeders around, but that doesn't mean they won't be able to help).

Flashy wrote:
If yo do everything right with Suki this time there will be a far lesser chance of them rejecting her. The chance of rejection is something that you should have considered before breeding her. Ideally you could have done with having someone available to foster them too but that's obviously not happened. You could, however, try making contact with breeders in your area to see if there is anyone around that might be able to help if necessary (I know that you said there are only smaller breeders around, but that doesn't mean they won't be able to help).
Hopefully Sukiwon't abandon them, Because I have very little chance of finding a breeder who will help. It does put there own rabbit at risk. Feeding so many babies.

Hi Paul,
I've been reading through the the threads, can you tell me if I've got this straight:-

1. Suki has been bred by you as planned, her litter is due in a month.
2. Sakura has had an unplanned litter, but to date the babies are doing OK.
3. Savanah will be sold when a home is available?

Jo xx

jcl_24 wrote:
Hi Paul,
I've been reading through the the threads, can you tell me if I've got this straight:-

1. Suki has been bred by you as planned, her litter is due in a month.
2. Sakura has had an unplanned litter, but to date the babies are doing OK.
3. Savanah will be sold when a home is available?

Jo xx
Frist two are correct, but the last one could be changing mam really wants to keep savannah.

The little peanut just died there. I still have 3 others, I was expecting the pink one to die as I knew it was a peanut. SO Hopefully the last three will make it to adulthood. I took out all wet bedding and replaced it, Is this the right thing to do? I don't want her feeling Like I'm taking her babies away. The other three are nice and round, And are warm should I clean the whole cage and build a new nest?

I had planed on cleaning all the cages out tonight but my auntie called so that didn't happen.

Sabine wrote:
Has Savannah been bred too?

Nope but that is as far as I know someone could have been letting them out together. I say she is because my mother is letting all the rabbits out together, I quote what she says "what your doing getting all these cages is cruel they all should be in the one hutch, they are a social network" I walked out of the room tonight when I heard that because I don't know what I would have done, I just told her to stay away from MY RABBITS, and I said Not to let them out toghther unless I say so, But I have a feeling they have been left out together. But If I find babies in with savannah I will go crazy because I really don't want the babies, And It just annoys me how people think they can say what to do with my rabbits when I bought them, and plus there my pets there my responsibility, because I can garentee the minute any one of my rabbits die this will be said to me "it's your fault".

Just so everyone know's I haven't bred savannah to roger but who knows what my mother could have done.

Latest posts

Back