Sukura's kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, no. There is very little a vet can do for one so young. They can not handle anesthesia or antibiotics at that young age....

BlueGiants wrote:
Turn the baby over (on it's back) and see ifthe front teeth protrude or appear to block the mouth. You can lift the baby cheeks and see how they line up.

It's very uncommon for new borns to have teeth issues. Their teeth are usually pretty small to start with. But it doesn't hurt to check when there are problems feeding.
The only reason I thought of teeth is because I know Polly has had teeth issues with a couple of lionhead litters (which I think she posted about on here, but if not, I will delete this if she wants me to), that's all.

Oh, and I thought I was posting my loast post straight after yours Sabine, I didn't see the other responses, somehow!

That sometimes happens to me too, that i post and then suddenly I discover there were several posts before me i didn't see.
I am just trying to figure out all the things that could become an issue if i have a litter so that i know what to do should complications arise. right now i'm quite put off breeding though:(

Maybe it's a good thing you're put off breeding? Less risk to your lovely bunners. Its heartbreaking when something happens during kindling, and I would hate for anyone to have to go through all that.

It's not so much the risk to my bun (I have full confidence in Magic) it's more the thought that leaving room for rabbits in need should be more on my agenda..

Paul, maybe you should wait until your rabbits are moved outside before you do any further breeding, I can't help feeling that stress may have a big part to play in the does being a bit funny with their babies, especially with Suki, does hardly ever cannabalize their babies for any other reason other then stress and feeling like the babies are in danger.

I hope Suki and Savannah aren't pregnant, you seem to have enough on your plate already :(It must be really stressful for you too *hugs*

Sometimes we can have all the confidence in the world and something goes wrong. Having said that, the reason about having space for more needy bunnies versus adding more bunnies to the population is one of the reasons that I give when asking people to think about breeding. Maybe you might have the potential to help out needy buns (needy in whatever way).

Sabine wrote:
right now i'm quite put off breeding though:(
Me too, I thought I wanted to get into breeding myself, like big time, with good rabbits and stuff,but to be honest I don't now, it's pretty pointless in this country, since we have no shows or anything. Really no reason to breed.

I think my babies that are on the way will be my one and only litter, plus with school and moving out in 2-3 years I don't have time.

Flashy wrote:
Sometimes we can have all the confidence in the world and something goes wrong. Having said that, the reason about having space for more needy bunnies versus adding more bunnies to the population is one of the reasons that I give when asking people to think about breeding. Maybe you might have the potential to help out needy buns (needy in whatever way).
Still, I don't want to end up feeling resentful of having denied myself the joy of breeding when I am set up for it and can give them the best care in the world as opposed to picking up the slack from others breeding recklessly. I am trying to find a balance. And although it doesn't work out mathematically maybe taking in a bun for each litter I breed is an option. But I'm hijacking the thread....

How are the babies?

Sabine wrote:
And although it doesn't work out mathematically maybe taking in a bun for each litter I breed is an option. But I'm hijacking the thread....

How are the babies?
That is if you can find a rabbit to take in, haven't seen any since I referred you to Raylann. :D

irishbunny wrote:
Sabine wrote:
And although it doesn't work out mathematically maybe taking in a bun for each litter I breed is an option. But I'm hijacking the thread....

How are the babies?
That is if you can find a rabbit to take in, haven't seen any since I referred you to Raylann. :D
Me neither, but the way things are going....:(

BlueGiants wrote:
Does that little one look any different than the other baby that is eating? Bigger head? Paddle like feet (webbing between toes)? Smaller hips? I'm just wondering if you have a "peanut" (or double dwarf)... (They generally can't suckle and fade within a few days of birth.)
I'm pretty sure the one that won't feed off the mother is a peanut.

Sabine wrote:
Flashy wrote:
Still, I don't want to end up feeling resentful of having denied myself the joy of breeding when I am set up for it and can give them the best care in the world as opposed to picking up the slack from others breeding recklessly. I am trying to find a balance. And although it doesn't work out mathematically maybe taking in a bun for each litter I breed is an option. But I'm hijacking the thread....

How are the babies?
the one feeding off momma is the healthest kit I have ever had. I really am happy with its progress, I think the little one will die. We are trying to feed it off momma but it just won't take to her.

Still worth trying what BlueGiants suggested about milking abit of the milk and putting it on his lips in case he's just a runt

irishbunny wrote:
Paul, maybe you should wait until your rabbits are moved outside before you do any further breeding, I can't help feeling that stress may have a big part to play in the does being a bit funny with their babies, especially with Suki, does hardly ever cannabalize their babies for any other reason other then stress and feeling like the babies are in danger.

I hope Suki and Savannah aren't pregnant, you seem to have enough on your plate already :(It must be really stressful for you too *hugs*
God I must say I am actaully pretty run down with all I have to do since these kits are now rejected, But I got to do what I got to do. Thanks for the support.

Sabine wrote:
Still worth trying what BlueGiants suggested about milking abit of the milk and putting it on his lips in case he's just a runt
What do I do, Just pull on the nipple till milk comes out?

paul2641 wrote:
Sabine wrote:
What do I do, Just pull on the nipple till milk comes out?
I can only draw from my experience with human babies. I expect you have to be quite gentle but maybe BlueGiants or someone who did it with rabbits before can talk you through it. A drop should suffice to give them the idea and go looking for more (babies do anyhow)

paul2641 wrote:
God I must say I am actaully pretty run down with all I have to do since these kits are now rejected, But I got to do what I got to do. Thanks for the support.

I don't know, it doesn't sound like they are rejected by the mom to me. You justgot several peanuts,andthat double-dwarf gene that causes peanuts is always fatal. That's the problem with these dwarf breeds, they're really heartbreaking to breed. Although any breed rabbit can have problems like runts that won't thrive, babies born dead, etc. I was so upset when two of Jazzy's kits were born dead.

This is something to keep in mind if you do decide to breed on purpose though.

Latest posts

Back