RIP: Tiny has bladder infection/sludge (thought it was seizures)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ra7751 wrote:
Just a quick note on using cranberry juice...it's much like using pineapple juice....the processed"juice" you buy has too much stuff in it that might not do so well. There is no doubt that cranberries have been known to help urinary issues....I would prefer to use the cranberry extract.

Poor Tiny! I've been having bladder problems for months so I can sympathize with the poor guy!

As for cranberry juice I have drank enough of it to drown an elephant and there is a specific brand that is unsweetened and not from concentrate that is really good, it's called Mountain Sun and you can find it in a safeway in their organic section or at some sorts of health food stores. Another good one is 'just cranberry' it comes in a glass jar and is a little more expensive for not as much good. I know wash like the mountain sun since he tackled me to drink out of my glass one day :p

We've been giving our guys reversed osmosis bottled water. Danny specifically went out looking for bottled water that did not contain fluoride (since we think that's what caused Hobbes' cystitis, since they upped the fluoride content in the water here about a year ago). It's my best suggestion.

Also, something interesting I found, Peg...they added fluoride to your city's water in October of 06...maybe it took that long to affect him as much as it has? I know it took Hobbes about a year. I found a link about it, that I'm fwding to you in PM. It's not the first place I found it mentioned...there were a couple other articles. It's interesting to note, since this is the first time you've encountered this with Tiny, and it takes a bit of time for that kind of thing to build in the system. I know that since they upped it for us, my own bladder issues have been more frequent...and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Anyway, wanted to just add that in as a thought on things. They're still debating in your city about whether or not the fluoride should be there. It was originally not going to be added, and the right someone pushed, and now it is...but it's still being fought, from what I've read.

Hugs to you!!

Rosie*

I've been following this and I am happy to hear Tiny is doing a lot better. I was extremely scared for you guys.

I do suggest in investing in a water filter pitcher. I use one for the bunnies and the rat's water. It saves money in the long run. Bottled water can be expensive (especially if you have to give it to a bunch of bunnies), when you can just buy a water filter pitcher that does the same job. Not to mention, you won't have a ton of bottles to recycle!

You could also use a bunch of empty milk jugs or something of the sort and filter a ton of water and pour it into those. You would then have enough filtered water to give to all the other bunnies.

You can really taste the difference from tap and the filter pitcher.

I've heard the pur filtered pitchers are great but I wonder if they would filter enough?

We're on a well, and I probably should go to something bottled or filtered myself.

*sigh*

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I've heard the pur filtered pitchers are great but I wonder if they would filter enough?

I wonder that too, but the taste difference is amazing. It has to filter enough and I think it's worth having one. Spending all that money on cheaper brands of bottled water thats probably filtered the same way seems too expensive.

I've been using filtered water from the same pitcher for over a year now and I haven't ever had issues with any of my babies :). If I did, it would certainly shown already with the rats because they age quickly because of their short lifespans.

Filter pitchers and regular filters do not filter out the fluoride, all the chlorine, nor a few other things.

The best way to get fluoride out of the water is by doing a reverse osmosis filtration. Now, reverse osmosis filtration systems run about $600 on the cheap end of things (LA prices, so might be cheaper elsewhere), but you can find bottled water that's been reverse osmosis filtered.

That's what we buy. It's a bit more money (about $.69/gallon bottle here, generic Kroger brand), but it's worth it to save their health and save in vet bills.

Edited to add: We haven't had a problem with all of our animals...but it did affect one out of ten, and that's enough to show me that it's a problem. All it takes is one.

I have well-water so I'm not worried so much about the flouride and chlorine. We have flouride but in a natural lower amount.

I'm really hesitant to post because I don't want to come across as a drama queen....I really don't.

But this is breaking my heart to see the way he just sorta lays there. I can tell he doesn't feel good - he won't eat or drink. He will let me pet him and he doesn't even fight Art over the sub-q fluids.

I'm doing a great job at staying calm around him - but I want to go outside and scream and cry and yell and then put my fist through a wall. It is just so hard to see a bunny "suffer" even if it isn't so much that he's not suffering - just...he's not really there right now.

He's not in a coma but its like he's just really REALLY tired and resting and just doesn't want to wake up and interact with me or anyone else. He is refusing everything and my options are to force him to take something (and thus stress him out)...or to continue what I'm doing - which is to steady the ship and wait this out.

Miss Bea spends most of her time laying beside him and sometimes she grooms him. When I lay down beside him - he will let me pet him on the top of the head and rub his cheeks and stuff like he loves. But he just doesn't have the energy to interact with me.

I mentioned that he peed and pooped earlier and we suspect that his body's system is kicking in to work on the infection....but it will take longer for us to see effects from the baytril.

Randy has been a great source of comfort when I talk to him on the phone. I'll be almost in tears when I call - and then almost laughing when I get off. He really does help me see the positive - which is hard to do when you see a bunny just laying there feeling miserable.

I guess I'm putting this out there to say....keep praying for us - and for me in particular.

As I'm typing this - Art is doing another sub-q injection. He's laying still...just laying there. You have to understand - Tiny NEVER EVER just lays there for medications. In fact, Art is done - that's how quick it went. Miss Bea laid beside him the whole time...

Oh well - I guess I better close this. Its just so hard....this waiting. I know he has a really REALLY good chance of making it through this - and he isn't acting like he's in pain - just like he's very tired.

Thanks to all of you who are waiting with me. Also - thanks for the questions the other night - for discussing all the options. If I seemed short with some of you (CorkysMom comes to mind) - I do apologize....I was simply trying to answer questions quickly so that I could get back to him and maybe y'all would come up with other things.

One nice thing about this forum - is knowing that I'm not waiting alone.

Peg

Understandable on the short answers, but thank you for saying that.

Trust me, if there is ONE thing I do understand, its a rabbit dealing w/ a life threatening infection!

The ups and downs you are seeing are to be expected, I saw those for a good solid 2-3 weeks (obviously a different situation, but infection none the less) It is hard to see them like that, but just lovehim and do the best you can for him...a lil extra fussing doesn't hurt either, its all anyone can do.

Hang in there and let the meds do their job....its frustrating, but it does take time.

Oh, and we put a whole house filter on as the water here sucks...wasn't having any issues, but I wanted it done anyway...funny how it was to much work when I asked about it...but when it was an idea for the bunnies, it was OH, I'll go get the stuff now. :grumpy: Anyway..just a thought to help keep the expense down in the long run....

Man! I keep willing Tiny to feel better! I know you must be a mess!

I always worry that someone who has a sick bunny will feel like we are treating them stupid asking about all the things we do...... but in these cases - sometimes just the brainstorming can make a world of difference.

Whatever the cause - I hope Tiny comes around from this very quickly!

CorkysMom wrote:
Trust me, if there is ONE thing I do understand, its a rabbit dealing w/ a life threatening infection!
You know what - Corky came to my mind after this happened - I know his infection wa totally different - but I had just reread his story the other day and was like, "I don't know how I could handle something like that..." and now Tiny is like this.

Knowing that Corky made it through (and he had it pretty rough too) is really encouraging me that Tiny can make it through.

I just laid beside him and snuggled for a bit - then decided to get something to eat. As I got up - he turned his head to look at me and he watched me - I told him I'd be right back.

I hope I don't have to start sleeping in here every night this week but I may go ahead and pull in the dog bed again tonight and see if he'll settle on it with me. I know Art won't be thrilled - but he understands.

Peg

P.S. He just got his pain meds and I got about .5 cc of organic cranberry juice down him. He was NOT happy at all....and when I went to give him a bit more - he turned away and I decided I wanted him to see me as a friend and not the enemy - so I put it aside. I think I'll try a bit every couple of hours - along with other stuff.

I have little experience with rabbit health issues *knock on wood*, but if rats on Baytril are the same as rabbits on Baytril....then you should see the effects of it in 2-3 days.

As for the filter pitcher, I was simply trying to help Peg out by offering that option to her because I know it would be impossible for her to buy bottled water for all her bunnies because it is expensive. Most of the flouride/chlorine is filtered out, and that is better than it being in the water 100%. I would like to add, though, that when I filter my water...I can't smell the chlorine nor can I taste anything....it tastes like fresh bottled water.

Edit to add: I may have missed it, but how much Baytril did the vet prescribe? I am pretty sure that animals should be on Baytril for 10-30 days, and by day 10 if things are not clearing up, then they need to be on a Baytril/combo medication.

First of all - we appreciate any and all suggestions folks....so thanks to everyone!

Secondly - it looks like I'm spending the night in here - and I need to go feed rabbits so that is going to be tough.

You see - I just went out to get some food - and I got back and Tiny had dragged himself about 6" closer to the door and was trying to get even closer still. Earlier today - when I was in the living room talking - we came out to find he'd made it by the front door and was laying in front of it.

I suspect he REALLY wants me with him.

Whenever I walk back in the room - I can almost see him relax now...like he knows I'm here.

Peg

Amy, your info about the pitcher is valuable and kicking around all the ideas, aspects and considerations are great! it's how we can help each other make decisions!

My well water is going to be different from others...... and city waters vary from one area to another.

If you are unsure of the water content, I think it should be tested or use the best filtered water you can get.

I have friends who have the reverse osmosis thing IN their house so telling them to buy bottled water wouldn't be right.....

So always throw stuff out there! :)

What I've been told on the antibiotics, baytril in particular when Corky had it for so long, was double the time it takes for them to get better, so if he seems better in a week, stay on it for another week.

What I did was put Corky in a small cage so he couldn't possibly hurt himself if he got up and tried to move around, one side had a heating pad w/ a towel over it, the other side nothing so he could get off it if he got to warm.

Dunno that you'd have anything large enuff to do that w/ Tiny....did it help me 'sleep' any better...not really as I heard EVERY move he made, but at least I was in my bed and not on a hard floor...all he needed on top of everything else woulda been me unable to move from my back hurting!

Anyway..just a thought to maybe make you a lil more comfortable thru this...its hard enuff w/o the sleep and being exhausted....no need to hurt on top of it if you don't have to!

:hug2:Hugs for Peg

:bunnyhug:And bunny hugs for Tiny

I keep stopping whatever I'm doing and saying "gosh, I hope Tiny's still ok." You have so many positive thoughts floating your way it's got to do SOMETHING :p

I remember the news story about some bottled water coming directly from a city tap but I don't remember the brand. And don't think you are immune to water problems if you are on well water....you just have different issues especially if you live in a farming region. There was so much stuff inmy water that salt water aquariums grew very large crops of algae if they had any sunlight at all. I had to really test and treat the water to keep any fish alive. And I am not so sure about the faucet filters. We used them all the time and Yoda still had bladder sludge. After we went to bottled water, he never had issues again.

Randy

Latest posts

Back