REHOME: Minirex Female in MI Needs a Home- RESOLVED!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shes doing great! I had her and Amina (another forum bunny who Im taking down to have spayed) in the same room but Amber was not happy. They were trying to get at eachother through the cage so I moved Amina out.

Shes awesome though- she loves to be petted. She comes up to the door of her cage and sticks her nose between the bars until you pet her. And when shes out running she comes up and puts her head on my leg (or if Im in the chair she jumps up to sit on my lap). She definitely loves snuggles!

Shes not eating a whole lot of pellets but shes eating tons of hay and some romaine lettuce tonight. Poops are good though :)

Thanks for the update! I'm relieved to hear that she is eating and pooping normal again.

She sounds like a lover :hearts

So she didn't care for the other bunny, huh? I wonder if that's a hormone thing?

Oh, I was wondering if she is litterbox trained? And, when you get the time I would still like to see her crate (it's not a rush I'm just trying to figure out what I want to set up for her)

Thanks! Maria

You know what I was wondering? What you said about her head kinda being big for her body reminded me of something. Years ago I had a doe that had a Rex mother and a Mini Rex father, and she looked like that. She hadkind of a Mini head and Rex body, if that makes any sense. Could that mabye be what this girl is? She would still have the rex coat that way, too. Very pretty girl, BTW, you are so lucky luvthempigs!

Yeah thats possible GG, since she was purchased from a pet store you just never know.

Maria, Im not sure about her with other bunnies. Were you thinking of bonding her to a male? Im sure most of it was that it was another unspayed female. Hopefully she'll settle down after her spay. Shes pretty good with her litter box so far. Shes definitely peeing in it but leaving some poops here and there. That too should improve after her spay.

I'll try and get some pics of the cage tonight :)

Thanks Haley, I just want to get an idea of what it looks like so I can decide if I should go up in the attic and see if I still have my dog crate (I used to have two very large dog crates and once I wasn't using them anymore I may have sold one and hopefully put the other one upstairs) If not then I will go to plan "B" :)

I don't have any plans at this time to try and bond her with another rabbit. I can always keep her in another room if she gets upset by my other buns. Maybe after she's spayed it won't bother her?

I am already nervous about her surgery. Can't wait till Thursday night/Friday morning to make sure she is okay.

luvthempigs wrote:
I am already nervous about her surgery. Can't wait till Thursday night/Friday morning to make sure she is okay.
I am with you on that one! The days leading up to thursdayhave been/arenerve racking.

As promised, heres a few pics of Amber's cage shes in now (which belongs to Kirst3buns).

BasilnPenny041.jpg

BasilnPenny042.jpg

BasilnPenny043.jpg

And she loooves the second level. Shes mad at me now since I had to take it down while shes recovering from her spay.

Cool :cool:That's the exact cage I should have up in the attic (I guess I better be getting up there soon)

I see the second level is a piece of plywood, not sure what it's resting on though to hold it up? Is that a braided rug? Is it clipped to grids to hold it in place?

Good to know she likes to sit up higher, I will definately have to get her a shelf :)

Sorry for all the questions....

Thanks for posting the pics!

And, thank you to kirst3buns for letting us borrow the cage.

I'll take some pics from the side later- its two wooden slats Kirsten's hubby cut to fit in the grids of the cage. They are about 1 in by 2 inches and they slide right in the grids. Then she has 2 NIC panels zip tied together. I lay them on top of the slats and then zip tie those to the cage to secure them. I put a braided rug on top and clipped it down. Something more permanent like a piece of pegboard with carpet on it would work better Im sure. Kirsten puts down a straw mat and a cat bed on hers. Pretty much anything sturdy and soft will work for her to lay on.

She doesnt like walking on the bottom of the cage since rexes have little padding and I think she sort of slides. The first day I put down a large piece of cardboard but she kept spilling her water. Something like a piece of coroplast would probably work better on the floor.

Haley wrote:
She doesnt like walking on the bottom of the cage since rexes have little padding and I think she sort of slides. The first day I put down a large piece of cardboard but she kept spilling her water. Something like a piece of coroplast would probably work better on the floor.
Lily handles hardwood floors/vinyl flooring better than Bender does, but both of their cages are lined with "soft" flooring (I know that Bender, for sure, will slide on "slick" surfaces and feels really awkward on them). Lily has a carpet square in her cage and Bender has a folded up fleece blanket in his. They work well for each of them; Lily is a fabric chewer (no blankets!) and Bender loves digging up the corner of his blanket for fun. :) Silly Mini Rexes!

Congrats on your new addition, BTW! She's a beauty!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
She's so pretty! I just want to feel her fur..... then snort it like I do with Bo! LOL!
LOL! I can't wait to feel her fur, she looks so soft. I don't know about the snorting thing though ;)

A note on the flooring- Luna didn't like the floor of her dog crate either. She slipped all the time and it scared her. I fixed the problem by putting a layer of arctic fleece on the floor and clipping it down with binder clips. She loved it! Also, it doesn't unravel so it shouldn't be asharmful if the bun turns out to be a fabric chewer overnight.

Thanks for the heads up, I happen to have some large pieces of polar fleece from when I used it for the guinea pigs. I was using it in Malleys cage for a while but she kept chewing it up, little stinker that she is! I'll have to see what I have left. Either that or I can stop by Walmart and see if they have any on sale.

luvthempigs wrote:
How is Amber doing? I'm getting really excited about her coming home :)

Sorry I missed this! Shes doing great. Although I think shes still very upset with me re: the spay. She grunts more often this week and sort of half charges me when I open her cage door. Poor dear must be really scared coming to a new place and then being sliced open like that.

Im really hoping we can get her to you soon. Im going on vacation May 20 so I really need to do it before then. The difficult part is finding someone to do the Toledo-Cleveland area. Everytime I do a transport I run into trouble east of Toledo :(

LOL! I love to bury my face in their fur - it's my snorting thing. They always seem to smell good to me. Well, unless they've got stinky scent glands or you put your nose in the wrong spot! LOL!

luvthempigs wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:
She's so pretty! I just want to feel her fur..... then snort it like I do with Bo! LOL!
LOL! I can't wait to feel her fur, she looks so soft. I don't know about the snorting thing though ;)

I'm sorry to hear Amber is being such a stinker, hopefully we can get some help very soon to get her closer to me (I really wish I had a more reliable vehicle but I just can't be driving it that far if I could I would have picked her up already)

Have any offers on help with transport?

Going anywhere good for vacation? I'll watch Mr Tumnus for you :biggrin2:

Haley wrote:
luvthempigs wrote:
How is Amber doing? I'm getting really excited about her coming home :)

Sorry I missed this! Shes doing great. Although I think shes still very upset with me re: the spay. She grunts more often this week and sort of half charges me when I open her cage door. Poor dear must be really scared coming to a new place and then being sliced open like that.

Im really hoping we can get her to you soon. Im going on vacation May 20 so I really need to do it before then. The difficult part is finding someone to do the Toledo-Cleveland area. Everytime I do a transport I run into trouble east of Toledo :(
I forgot to ask in my PM, when will she be ready to travel?

I just love hearing the updates about Amber. I'm in love with her:heartbeat:.

I've said before that I'd be willing to help if at all possible from Sandusky into Cleveland. Toledo's a bit too far for me to go since I don't drive and it'll be up to my roommate/mom. I'm going away this coming week (May 6-11) though and don't know how that'll work for you guys. But definitely keep me posted and if I can help, I definitely will.

I hope she gets to you soon, Maria.

Latest posts

Back