REHOME: Long Island, NY (RESOLVED)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am interested and am wondering if we canarrange a visit to meet her and see if i can take her off your hands:).I live in patchogue and it would be a nice quick and easy drive to comeand meet you and trixie and maybe adopt her and give her a new lovinghome.:bunnydance: (by the way how old is your little trixie.)

~ani-lover~ :)

Oh that would be wonderful, I really hope this works out for you and maybe you both can meet up every now and then.

Bless your heart if you take pretty Trixie. :bunnydance:

One thing Ani-lover, is that Trixie is an indoorbunny. I think I remember you saying that Domino is an outside bunny.Would you be able to provide this little princess with an indoor home?

trixie i understand is an indoor bunny i knowand it may be a possibility that she could live indoors with us but she"might be outside" for a short while. although it will be nice to haveanother bunny (since domino is getting old) it will make some changeshappen.

I am realy looking forward to possiblymeeting trixie because i have wanted another rabbit for awhile and iknow she is an indoor rabbit she probably could be in our house andmake friends with domino also you could visit if you want and believeme, if i adopt her she will be as spoiled as domino.

ani-lover wrote:
trixie i understand is an indoor bunny i know and it may bea possibility that she could live indoors with us but she "might beoutside" for a short while.
I just want to add my 2 sense but based on my lack of knowledge of yourarea, I can't really say exactly. But for my area it is definitely muchtoo late to put a rabbit outdoors! It's November meaning it could getrather cold (in comparison to the normal) and it is a definite no-noputting a rabbit outside in cold weather when it is used to the warmhouse. Add the stress of the move and the shock of temperature change,it is bad news for the bunny. On top of that, you said a little whilemeaning the rabbit would be moved inside before the spring? That isalsonot a good idea because then they can suffer from heatstroke.

(Keep in mind I'm basing this on geography and considering yourproximity to Canada, I would assume you have cold winters as well.)

That's just my 2 cents, last year we had a really mild winter and Imoved a rabbit outside in November and her coat was thrown off for thewhole winter. She never grew a thick winter coat like she has this yearmeaning she had less insulation than my other bunnies.

my bunny that i have right now is 15 and helives outdoors with plastic wrapped on his cage and a big pile ofhay, and he also gets warm water frequently in winter so heis warm. our winters haven't been bad for a few years now. In the eventthat it does get cold or a rabbit gets sick they do come inside forawhile until it gets warm again or they get back to normal health. myrabbit is very warm and my family has a lot of experience with manytypes of animals including rabbits so I am knowledgeble with my petsand that is one reason I know I might be able to adopt TRIXIE.

we also have an out door barn that my rabbit can also stay indue to the fact I used to have three horses and between 22 and 34rabbits. we had an indoor rabbit and ferrets and many other exoticcreatures for awhile.

Ani-lover, I believe the point that MBB istrying to make is not that rabbits shouldn't be housed outdoors (allthree of hers live very well outside), but that a rabbit moved frominside to outside at this time of the year is not capable of building aproper winter coat.

If it was earlier in the year (around August/Sept), then it would beokay because the weather would be cooling down and would trigger awarmer coat to grow in. But because Trixie has been livingindoors, she hasn't grown a winter coat.

So Trixie would have to live indoors untill spring time when the weather starts to warm up.

After that time, she would be okay living outdoors and she would grow a nice winter coat for next winter.

We all understand that you would make a wonderful home! It's just the circumstances caused by the time of year.

--Dawn

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
.....last year we had a really mild winter and Imoved a rabbit outside in November and her coat was thrown off for thewhole winter. She never grew a thick winter coat like she has this yearmeaning she had less insulation than my other bunnies.

HI MBB!! :wave:

Good point! All 8 of my buns are indoors and just finished a heavyshead/molt....and I'm sure many other owners have had the same happenby them.
Their coats grew in, but lacked the heavier characteristics of a goodwinter coat. Fine for indoors at a constant 70 degrees, but notsufficient to insulate againt the elements.

IMO......I think the change might be a bit overwhelming for a young indoor bunnie.

`jim

MBB has a really good point here. I agree thatit is too late in the year to move the rabbit to living outside (and inmy opinion - even a barn-like structure probably wouldn't besufficient). I grew up in Ct. and remember what the winters can be like(and yes, I had rabbits as a kid - even in the winter).

Around here, our big concern isn't cold but heat. I just rehomedseveral rabbits and talked to everybody before they took them to makesure that either the rabbits would be indoors or that they knew how tocare for them if they were outdoors (in a shed or something). It stillcan hit 80 or so here - so I explained about frozen water bottles,etc.

I guess my point is this - when moving a rabbit and having it liveoutside when it has lived inside - you really need to do so at a mildtime of year that is closest to the temperature the rabbit is used toliving in.

Peg
P.S. Wow Ani - you've had a rabbit for 15 years? That is awesome!

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
ani-lover wrote:
trixie iunderstand is an indoor bunny i know and it may be a possibility thatshe could live indoors with us but she "might be outside" for a shortwhile.
I just want to add my 2 sense but based on my lack of knowledge of yourarea, I can't really say exactly. But for my area it is definitely muchtoo late to put a rabbit outdoors!

JimD wrote:
HI MBB!! :wave:

Good point! All 8 of my buns are indoors and just finished a heavyshead/molt....and I'm sure many other owners have had the same happenby them.
Their coats grew in, but lacked the heavier characteristics of a goodwinter coat. Fine for indoors at a constant 70 degrees, but notsufficient to insulate againt the elements.

IMO......I think the change might be a bit overwhelming for a young indoor bunnie.

`jim

Trixie is also near the end of a really big shed/molt and has a thinnercoat than she previously did. Which is one of my main concerns abouther living outside.
I sent you a PM ani-lover, I don't see that you have responded,although you have responded on this board. Please check your messages,there's one in there from me:)
~Denise

Aww...I'm so sorry to hear that you guys are forced to rehome Trixie. :(

But...I know that in you posting on this forum, you'll find her a veryloving, happy home. :) So, major kudos to you fordoing it this way. :D

I'm so sorry, and I know you'll miss your little girl. I knowthings have been so hard for you for the past few months, and I'm sorryto hear that you have to lose such a dear friend. But...I cansee that you're doing it for her good, as well as your husband's, andthat kind of self-less love does not go unrewarded in life.We love you for taking the time to do this so wonderfully, and witheveryone in mind so much!! :)

I hope you'll still consider posting on the board...we'll miss you somuch if we don't hear from you occassionally to know how you're doingand what's new and such! :)

It's okay if you don't think you can, after having to rehome your girl,though...we all completely understand your situation and feel for you,Sweetie. :)

Much love to you and yours,

Rosie*

P.S. If you aren't able to post anymore, many hugs and muchlove to you...it has been so wonderful knowing you and chatting withyou about things. You are such a gem! :D

maherwoman wrote:
Aww...I'm so sorry to hear that you guys are forced torehome Trixie. :(

But...I know that in you posting on this forum, you'll find her a veryloving, happy home. :) So, major kudos to you fordoing it this way. :D

I'm so sorry, and I know you'll miss your little girl. I knowthings have been so hard for you for the past few months, and I'm sorryto hear that you have to lose such a dear friend. But...I cansee that you're doing it for her good, as well as your husband's, andthat kind of self-less love does not go unrewarded in life.We love you for taking the time to do this so wonderfully, and witheveryone in mind so much!! :)

I hope you'll still consider posting on the board...we'll miss you somuch if we don't hear from you occassionally to know how you're doingand what's new and such! :)

It's okay if you don't think you can, after having to rehome your girl,though...we all completely understand your situation and feel for you,Sweetie. :)

Much love to you and yours,

Rosie*

P.S. If you aren't able to post anymore, many hugs and muchlove to you...it has been so wonderful knowing you and chatting withyou about things. You are such a gem! :D

OF COURSE I will keep posting! I mean, everyone on here is just so niceand any friend of a bunny is a friend of mine! HAHA! So you can lookfor me on the off-topic board. I may not be able to have a bunny now,but hopefully one day in the future I can work something out when Ihave a house that will be beneficial to all of my family...
Thanks for the kind words, Rosie.

XOXO,
Denise

You're so welcome...I was just letting you know that you're loved here, and would be so missed!! :)

Glad to hear we'll still be able to chat with you!!:D I'm sure you guys will be able to have another bun in thefuture. :)

In the meantime, keep your spirits up...and my best wishes for you guys and your Trixie girl! :D

P.S. I SO wish I weren't on the other side of the countryfrom you...if I were closer, I would take Trixie home in anINSTANT!!!! Who wouldn't want a cute, sweet littlebunny princess like her? :D

:bunnydance::bunnydance: And I'm sure Maisie and Flower agree!! :D

TrixieRabbit wrote:
OF COURSE I willkeep posting! I mean, everyone on here is just so nice and any friendof a bunny is a friend of mine! HAHA! So you can look for me on theoff-topic board. I may not be able to have a bunny now, but hopefullyone day in the future I can work something out when I have a house thatwill be beneficial to all of my family...
Thanks for the kind words, Rosie.

XOXO,
Denise

Latest posts

Back