Rebirth of the Phoenix from Ashes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Planted the bunny garden today!

1-9.jpg

2-9.jpg

I put the dill with the marjoram, the parsley with the basil, and the cilantro with the chives.

I hope this Chia magic grower stuff works... otherwise I'm going to have one angry bunny to report to! :p

ALSO... I realized if I put Phoenix's hay in a bowl BESIDE her litter box, she will nom the crap out of it, I think I've outsmarted her ways!!

Okay so not entirely :/ ....

She stopped eating her hay so I went out and got her some oxbow oat hay..... I think she liked it although she will try anything but I mixed it with her Timothy hay and we shall see how much is left tomorrow morning :)

I always see herbs and starting kits and such when I'm out and about shopping and I put off getting any but I really should. Let us know how it goes and maybe you'll inspire me to finally start a bunny garden.
Any updates with the adoption??

Hmmm actually no :/

I'm quite disappointed that it takes them So long to respond and this isn't the first time either... I called them when I found phoenix, never got a call back, and I called them before to ask about donating bunny feed to them, again no call back. I might try emailing my app to a different email on the website because i know I said I wasnt in a rush but geeze you'd think I could taking my time on setting Phoenix up for dates :)

As for the garden I will update with pictures and let you know how it goes... It's remarkably easy and I am not garden savvy... I bet it'd actually be a fun project for you and your son to do together :) I always liked stuff like that as a child.

Good news, good news. Last night I went to go pick my new coffee table up, which is great and all since now I have something to eat on, except for the fact that I can no longer flip the rug over when Phoenix is out of her cage....
She chews on the rug (I guess it reminds her of grass) and so she has left me no choice but to cover it up with blankets!!

CoffeeTable.jpg

and of course she likes to hang out smack dead in the centre underneath the table :p

Phoenix.jpg

More good news.... I emailed someone else from the Rabbit Rescue last night and they said they recieved my application and wrote me an email regarding that but they were having issues with their server so I may not have gotten it so someone will contact me either today or tomorrow with further details to proceed with the adoption :)

MORE good news (DANG, I am on a roll today!! :biggrin:) My herbs have started the germination process and you can see little greens sprouting on the basil already!!

Basil & Parsley

BasilandParsley.jpg

Basil

Basil.jpg

Dill and Marjoram

DillandParsley.jpg

and Chives and Cilantro

Cilantro.jpg

As you can see, my cilantro is getting damp, I need to spray it so it can properly germinate. I hope it is not too late :(

Also, to water them today, I used bunny poop water, you know for extra nutrients!

Speaking of extra nutrients, Phoenix's greens for today consisted of Dandelion Greens, Spinach, Dill and Cilantro.. She was super happy. I also think I figured out her hay pattern. First of all I found she loves the oat hay (still mixed it in with the timothy hay) and she likes it fresh because normally I fill up her hay every morning. Picky Bunny!! Yesterday I had to refill her hay 3 times ! That made me happy.

This is going to be a great week. Thanks for reading !! :)

Q-tip here. Wait till that basil grows! Mommy had to transplant mine because it got too big for the pot! I was nomming the hell out of it...and then the cat sat on the pot and squished it! Nothing is sacred with a cat around. Be glad mommy doesn't have one of those. It would sit on your garden. Trust me, it sat on mine.

Imbrium wrote:
it's SO exciting when you get those first tiny sprouts, isn't it? I did a little happy-dance, took pics, showed my neighbor, etc. I was so proud I made something grow, hehe.

Haha. Yeah, coincidentally, my boyfriend is a seasoned botanist so he doesn't care too much but I was like "YEAH I made it grow! I'm doing something right :)" Your garden looks quite good, I wish mine looks half as good !!

qtipthebun wrote:
Q-tip here. Wait till that basil grows! Mommy had to transplant mine because it got too big for the pot! I was nomming the hell out of it...and then the cat sat on the pot and squished it! Nothing is sacred with a cat around. Be glad mommy doesn't have one of those. It would sit on your garden. Trust me, it sat on mine.
Nexxus to Q-tip, Nexxus to Q-tip. I'm glad I don't have a cat thing in my house, mommy says we're getting another bun soon, I hope its a nice bun not a muppet ;)
I can't wait to eat the garden but I don't get it, it's all dirt... I don't like dirt :(

Sorry if Phoenix sounds like she's in a space station she's not used to this bunny chat yet.

On a good note, the rescue said they have a bun that just got surrendered because his mate just died and he got stressed out so they said he would be perfect to bond to Phoenix and he's super affectionate. I would love to see pictures, I don't know anything about him yet. They said I can't bring her for a date though I don't know why :( but I guess it's a risk I'll have to take.

Great news about the rescue! You know, my rescue at first said they wouldn't allow bunny dating at first either. Then, when I did adopt Archie from another location of the rescue, that gal did allow it....

But either way I would just make sure you can set up an agreement to bring the bunny back if they fight really bad.

Congrats on the sprouts and the new coffee table, lol. Lots of fun things :)

Can't wait to hear about phoenix's new possible husbun!

OKAY quick update.

I just got a picture of Hippo the bun... He is gorgeous!! :)

Hippo.jpg

Also, apparently he is very needy right now and really wants a mate to bond with so I think it could be bunny love at first sight since I THINK Phoenix could be the same. Not pushing my luck though ;)

holtzchick wrote:
Imbrium wrote:
it's SO exciting when you get those first tiny sprouts, isn't it? I did a little happy-dance, took pics, showed my neighbor, etc. I was so proud I made something grow, hehe.

Haha. Yeah, coincidentally, my boyfriend is a seasoned botanist so he doesn't care too much but I was like "YEAH I made it grow! I'm doing something right :)" Your garden looks quite good, I wish mine looks half as good !!
I cheated, though, I started with plants instead of seeds which is stupidly easy - just water any time they look wilty. I accidentally killed (pumpkin where the stem snapped during re-potting), deliberately abandoned (darn carrots that wore out my patience... one got eated by a raccoon or possum and the other one got given to my neighbor to make space for sage) and/or failed entirely (dandelions) at everything that I started from a seed. I keep meaning to give dandelions another try.

I'm not looking forward to any freezes we get this year - I'm so fail at paying attention to weather, I'll almost certainly kill them if it drops below freezing and my neighbor doesn't give me a heads-up. I'd bring 'em inside for the winter, but then I'd have to go re-purchase the plant lights I changed my mind about and returned and I'd have to find a place to put them.

I also need to figure out how to stop stuff from eating my plants - my raddicio, among other things, has holes in some of the leaves :pssd:

good luck with the rescue bunny - I hope they're very happy together! be sure to keep us updated with all the bonding stuff :)

I just read all the way through your blog! I just realized that you post on my blog all the time and I've never read yours. :baghead
Phoenix is BEAUTIFUL! I love her coloring! She seems like a total sweetie. I hope you get your big Hippo the Bun, he looks adorable. I hope Phoenix likes him.

Just wait until your marjoram grows and you smell it. It smells so good, I got Foo some and couldn't stop smelling it because it was wonderful!

Your loft looks so beautiful, I'm jealous. My house is the total opposite! hahaha.

I really look forward to reading more about Phoenix and her hopefully soon to be husbun. :)

Imbrium wrote:
holtzchick wrote:
Imbrium wrote:

I cheated, though, I started with plants instead of seeds which is stupidly easy - just water any time they look wilty. I accidentally killed (pumpkin where the stem snapped during re-potting), deliberately abandoned (darn carrots that wore out my patience... one got eated by a raccoon or possum and the other one got given to my neighbor to make space for sage) and/or failed entirely (dandelions) at everything that I started from a seed. I keep meaning to give dandelions another try.

I'm not looking forward to any freezes we get this year - I'm so fail at paying attention to weather, I'll almost certainly kill them if it drops below freezing and my neighbor doesn't give me a heads-up. I'd bring 'em inside for the winter, but then I'd have to go re-purchase the plant lights I changed my mind about and returned and I'd have to find a place to put them.

I also need to figure out how to stop stuff from eating my plants - my raddicio, among other things, has holes in some of the leaves :pssd:

good luck with the rescue bunny - I hope they're very happy together! be sure to keep us updated with all the bonding stuff :)

That is cheating! None the less, I still want my garden to look like yours :)

Thank you for the wishes, I surely will keep updates! I still don't even know if I'm going to get him but fingers crossed!

whitelop wrote:
I just read all the way through your blog! I just realized that you post on my blog all the time and I've never read yours. :baghead
Phoenix is BEAUTIFUL! I love her coloring! She seems like a total sweetie. I hope you get your big Hippo the Bun, he looks adorable. I hope Phoenix likes him.

Just wait until your marjoram grows and you smell it. It smells so good, I got Foo some and couldn't stop smelling it because it was wonderful!

Your loft looks so beautiful, I'm jealous. My house is the total opposite! hahaha.

I really look forward to reading more about Phoenix and her hopefully soon to be husbun. :)

Thanks :).... Marjoram is actually very commonly used in Polish cuisine and there people use it as often as people here use parsley. It does smell very good doesn't it. I love dill as well, Polish people often use it in their cuisine too.

I cannot wait to post updates and meet the bun... I need to get another playpen but I don't feel like going to spend another $80 on one... perhaps I can find one on Kijiji.
Where theres a will, there's always Kijiji.... LOL.

holtzchick wrote:
That is cheating! None the less, I still want my garden to look like yours :)
in my defense, the actual plants were $3-4 at home depot and I figured that way the bunnies wouldn't have to wait nearly as long to start getting noms :p

Well that's good to hear on the other hand I hate playing the waiting game.

Hippo is 5 years old and is not too much of a chewer. After I send proof of Phoenix's spay and a new picture of the enclosure which I did not have set up yet.... Hmmm I think I'll get to meet him this weekend if all goes well :)

Hippo is gorgeous! I sure hope that things go good with the bonding too. It can be stressful and tedious at times but it sure was worth it in the end to see Agnes and Archie together :)

I'll be watching for updates!

Latest posts

Back