Prayers for Zeke

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is so sad... He's been trying to groom himself for the last 10 minutes, and all he can do is lick his cone. I can tell he's so frustrated with it. It doesn't seem like his wound is bothering him, he's active and doing his best to eat all the hay he can.

Baxter has been grooming his eyes for him a bit. So at least his eye crunchies from being asleep are all gone now.

I just gave him his second round of meds and put his cream on him. There is no redness or seeping. It still looks swollen, but I think that is going down as well. This morning I couldn't get very much of his steriod cream on because I was on my own, but just now I had Ryan hold him and I got tons on. I know that will help with the swelling. I'll have to get Ryan to help me tomorrow morning too, I know he's going to love getting up at 5:30am with me.

I need to replace the gauze that is tieing the collar on. He's managed to get his paw stuck in it twice. I'm not sure what to replace it with though. I'll probably pick up another roll of gauze when I'm at the store tonight picking up more veggies.

--Dawn

Oh man, Dawn, I really feel for you and Zeke. Poor baby. When you said he's trying to groom and just licking his cone, aww. I feel so bad for him. I'm glad the wound is doing well, that's the most important thing;). Baxter trying to help him is so cute. So Baxter had no problems with Zeke's new "smell"? That's good too!

Not really sure what else you could use as a tie for the cone, as I can't really see how it's fixated. It should be fine til you can get some new though. Could you maybe turn the cone so the gauze is in the back? Then maybe he won't catch it?

Sending healing vibes still. Feel better soon, Zeke. Baxter, take good care of him:).

Hugs, Dawn:hug:.

Awww Please give Baxter a kiss from me and tell him that he's a good buddy!

Poor Zeke. I'll be happy when it's all better!

I wish I could help you put his cream on. They hate their tummys touched usually anyhow.

Kisses to Zeke too!

The collar has loops along the bottom, four I think, and the gauze is pulled though all the loops then tied. If I twist the cone around so the knot is at the back, it twists itself back down to his front.

And I think he just managed to pull the knot into the cone, sigh... I'm going to go check my sewing kit for some ribbon.

--Dawn

I found some bias tape in my sewing stuff, so I used that. Basically white ribbon. I made the knot smaller, well the double bow smaller as I want to be able to get it off in a hurry if necessary.

He was really perky just a minute ago. I think now, about 4-5 hours after is metacam, is when he feels best. He's still having troubles eating and I can tell he's frustrated. But I think he's getting enough in him to keep him safe. I give him as much greens as he wants just before his meds so he doesn't have an empty stomach and I also help him whenever I notice him eating hay or pellets.

--Dawn

That poor thing! He needs to eat and keep up his strength! I wonder if one of the bowls like I have that hooks into a stand that attaches to the cage would help him?

They sort of stick out and might allow his collar to sort of surround it.

Heidinewdish.jpg

how's Zeke doing today? I keep thinking about him. Bo is wondering why he got extra cuddles and kisses last night LOL!

Awww, Zeke look so helpless in the photos. Wow, 100 stitches is a huge amount - he is being such a brave boy about it. And Baxter - what a little angel looking after his buddy. How long does the collar have to stay on?

Sending all good thoughts your way for a quick recovery1

Jan

Zeke goes back for a check up on Thursday, so 5 days after his operation to make sure everything is going well. So the minimum amount of time he'll have to wear his collar will be till Thursday.

I think I'll let him up on the couch with me and take it off so he can groom his face. It will have to be under strict supervision and he won't be able to groom his nether regions at all.

This morning he was a little grump and wouldn't take his antibiotics. We mixed some of it in juice and gave it to him diluted, but then I was running out of time to get to school on time so I had to just shove the syringe in his mouth and trick him. He was not pleased about that. I have no idea why he would take it so nicely the day before and then decide it was icky today.

I can tell he's so depressed, and I feel bad. But I know it's for his own good. If he can get through this short stretch, he'll be all better.

--Dawn

oh poor baby, glad to see the surgery went well, and he will be better soon when he gets his collar off. Belle had to have a collar on after her spay because she pulled her stitches out, i felt so bad. But let me warn you if you arent brushing him and he cant groom his hind end i would get some pumpkin because when he gets that collar off I guaruntee he will be doing some mad grooming,lol. :kiss: give him kisses

They fight yo umore when they start getting their energy back and feeling better :p Just wait... He'll make sure to get his revenge. LOL.

Poor lil guy. Must be awful annoying for them with that collar on. I know it's for their own good. i do think that removing it for a bit might be good if you think he'll let you put it back on. Lol.

100 stitches on a bunny. Whoa... Crazy! I am really happy that he is doing ok though. what a scary experience.

How can he eat his cecals then ?

I would definitely give him a short while each day without the collar to groom and just be relaxed...... but I would also make sure he's right with you. Even if you have to put him in a small room/closet to do it. Don't let him jump off that couch!

Poor little Zeke.... :(

Hehe, you wanna know how he eats his cecals?... Lol, I feed them to him by hand. He's had two so far, and I just pick up the pieces for him and he eats them off my hand. He seems very greatful about it and gobbles them up.

LOL, that's how you know how dedicated I am to my little man. Feeding him his stinky, squishy poops by hand.

--Dawn

You're awesome. Zeke is lucky you have no qualms about handling stinky nutrients. (things like cecal treats occur in our house also).

Get Well big lovebun rex!

Baxter and mommy in the cage with you were smilemaker visuals.

Awwww I would do the same thing for mine! I'm glad you're able to help him... I would worry about that!

aurora369 wrote:
Hehe, you wanna know how he eats his cecals?... Lol, I feed them to him by hand. He's had two so far, and I just pick up the pieces for him and he eats them off my hand. He seems very greatful about it and gobbles them up.

LOL, that's how you know how dedicated I am to my little man. Feeding him his stinky, squishy poops by hand.

--Dawn

Oh ouch! And I thought Fey's stomach wound from Mocha was bad. At least that was a straight line and not by the genitals.

Lots of love for you and Zeke! Thank goodness Baxter is such a good nurse!

Latest posts

Back