Prayers for Zeke

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I have pictures. I haven't had the chance to upload them yet, hopefully tomorrow.

Bad news though, his privates where covered in goop and fur today. I'm not sure if it was dried polysporin or if it's getting infected. I know it's never looked like that before though. The skin around it looks odd too, there's dried stuff that looks like peeling skin but it's just dried gunk.

I clean him out with saline and q-tips. I got as much as I could off before he squirmed too much. Then I dosed the area in polysporin, made sure to get a good coating.

I'll make sure to get up early tomorrow in case he needs more cleaning.

The injections are still going well. Ryan rubs his forehead, and I give him a quick jab. So much easier than getting him to eat something he doesn't want.

I made a hay rack today too, incase it helps Zeke eat more hay. He's still eating the hay out of the litter boxes, but maybe over night he'll get the idea. I hope it makes it easier for him to get more hay, he normally eats so much of it.

--Dawn

aurora369 wrote:
Bad news though, his privates where covered in goop and fur today. I'm not sure if it was dried polysporin or if it's getting infected. I know it's never looked like that before though. The skin around it looks odd too, there's dried stuff that looks like peeling skin but it's just dried gunk.

Goodness,i hope it is just dried polysporin...we don't want anything else happening to him now

I'm glad that other than that he's doing so much better :)

Cheryl

I hope it's just a bit of drainage or something you are seeing.

Poor little guy :(

Keep us posted, please?!

Oh No! I really hope that it is just dried polysporin and not a sign of infection. Poor Zeke - and you - are going through so much. At least you have a good routine for the injections :)

Keeping good thoughts going for you

Jan

It looks much better this morning. I think it probably was just dried on polysporin with some hair stuck in it. It doesn't look like it needs cleaning again this morning, but I still have to out on more polysporin.

Sigh, I have to go jump in the shower and gat ready for school.

--Dawn

YAY!! Go Zeke!! You're wonderful, little man...you keep making sure to help your mommy relax, and show her how wonderfully you're healing, ok?

Extra hugs to you, Dawn!! :hug::hug::hug:

Well, I'm still flip flopping on the whole infection thing. It still looks funny. I'm cleaning it every night with some saline and pulling off all the fur that gets stuck to it, and he gets polysporin on it morning and night. He's got another vet check up tomorrow, so they will be able to tell me for sure.

He smells so bad now. I feel so bad for my boy. He smells like cecals... ewww.... They get smushed all over the cage in the middle of the night, and I have to clean it all up in the morning, but he still smells like them. I can't wait till he can have his collar off and groom him self.

The vet used disolvable stitches, so most of the stitches have come off now. It looks really good down stairs except for the one gross part. All the cuts above is penis are all healed beautifully, and I'm very please with that.

And I still haven't had the chance to upload those pictures!

--Dawn

Dawn, could you describe what looks wrong with the wound? When Fey was healing from her belly wound, it would sometimes seep a little pale, thin yellow fluid. I was worried about infection so I took her to my vet. He said that the thin stuff is ok, it's just some lymph fluid (white blood cell stuff) leaking out. If it was infected it would have pus like in abscesses, the really thick stuff like cream cheese.

Hope he's ok!

Corky's seepage from infection was very liquified due to the antibiotics, but it was a cream color, and it had its own 'special' odor to it.....hopefully there isn't an infection. Can you leave the 'lampshade' off him for a bit when you are right there to allow him to groom himself..ugg, I remember dealing with that...hated it!

I've been letting him out of his collar for a couple hours a day, sitting on the couch with me for the last week. He also got a whole night of freedom last night he managed to get the collar off again some time in the night. The poor collar is absolutely trashed now. If he needs to continue wearing it, I'm gonna have to get a new one from the vets tonight.

I wasn't able to get a picture last night, as I had a quiz at 8:30 this morning and ended up studying till about 11pm. So I had to rush through the Zeke routine and didn't have time to take pictures. I will bring my camera with me to the vets and take some pictures.

After Zeke did a big clean up, his privates actually look alot better. I know him licking it is bad as it introduces bad bacteria, but it does wonders for getting rid of gunky build up.

He's only got a few stitches that haven't come out yet. All of his sutures where dissolvable, so about 80% of them have fallen out now. He really looks good except for the side of his penis.

I'm really looking forward to the vet visit tonight. I'm hoping no more collar after today.

--Dawn

I had to give up on the collar after he learned to get it off, after a couple days there was no keeping it on..thankfully by then the worst was over if he opened it up...it took awhile before he figured out getting it off....smart lil stinkers!

Glad he's getting some free time w/o it, its stll hard, they groom so much that when they can't that smell sure builds up fast...even when rght there, sometimes they still can't be trusted w/o it on!

Hope you get good news at the vet and he's done with it!

Well, the camera seems to have wondered off somewhere... I can't find it.

The vet was very happy with Zeke's progess. He said it's healing very nicely, and he is quite impressed. So I guess I don't really have to worry so much.

If there are any stitches left by next Thursday, I'll pop in to have them removed. Other wise, he should be good to go soon.

He still has to wear his collar for a few more days. I had to get a new collar for him because he had chewed through the bottom clasp.

I think I'll be able to take it off in a couple days. I just have to wait for the side of his penis to heal a bit more.

If I can find my camera, I'll take some pictures. The difference is phenominal, and it almost looks like he wasn't injured now. No scaring, from what I can see.

--Dawn

Back