Prayers for Zeke

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad that the honey worked, if only for one night...

Hope you find the key soon...you might be right about injecting it. It might be easier on him in general.

Hugs to you and the crew!

Rosie*

Honey carries a very, very minimal risk of botulism. Truly. About as much risk as you getting salmonella from your chicken sandwhich. We eat raw, unfiltered honey here and it's great. I used to give it to one of our mice when his allergies were bad, because honey that's harvested within twenty miles of where you live actually contains trace amounts of pollen from plants in the area that can help to lessen the effects of seasonal allergies. I used to give it to Peanut when she needed meds and the applesauce, baby food, and other things weren't working. It was a lifesaver. There are risks with everything, and if it really works, I'd be reluctant to give it up.

Anyway, I hope Zeke is feeling better :hug:

Zeke is officially a Mr. Picky Pants. He took the antibiotics willingly, right out of the end of the syringe with nothing to buffer the taste! I just don't understand the guy. Two days of fighting with all his being, and then the next slurping it up like it's candy.

He also managed to get his collar off again. I think I forgot to double bow the knot, because he hadn't chewed it off, it looked like it just fell out because there was no chew marks any where.

He did get a few stitches. The ones closest to the opening where his penis is. There where some internal stiches and then the regular ones on top. He left the internal ones and only chewed the top ones. I'm not sure if the internal ones where itchy and he just wanted to lick them?

I wasn't able to take him to the vets tonight, as I've lent out both of my small carriers and only have one that is too heavy/big for me to get on the bus. Ryan was at class, so I had no car, and I can't afford to take a cab (about $50). I need to save my money in case Zeke needs more treatment.

I'm going to goop him up with the antibiotic/steriod cream when Ryan gets home. I think he'll be okay till his appointment tomorrow.

Arg, this boy is stressing me out!

--Dawn

he might have gotten the idea it is easier to take the medicine than to have you sneak it on him with the offer of a craisin! LOL!

Or maybe he's just waiting until he feels better to plot his revenge;) :p

I think he must be conspiring against me, he's trying to make me go crazy.

He didn't want his antibiotics this morning. I got a half in him by using banana baby food, and then went to smearing some on his collar. He did end up getting it all today with out forcing, but it still wasn't as beautiful as last night.

He gets to be at the vets tonight, and we'll see if he needs new stitches.

Arg, he's totally stressing me out!

--Dawn

Back from the vets! And he looks good, no need to replace the stitches he pulled. He needs to wear his collar until his stitches come out, so at least another week.

He did lose some weight, went from 2.84kg to 2.44kg (6.26lb to 5.37lb). So I'm going to mix up some mashed pellets and baby food to spoon feed him before bed. I don't think he's able to get to his pellets very easily. He's eating hay, and I hand feed him greens every morning and night.

The vet also gave me injections to give Zeke instead of oral. He gave me 7 pre-filled and mixed syringes that are already cut with saline. I only have to do it once a day, so I can do it every evening and cut down my morning routine. He didn't even flinch when the vet showed me how today. I think this is going to work much better.

The vet was very pleased with his progress. I'm going to try to get some pictures to compare to tonight.

Yay, finally some good news!

--Dawn

Yeah, I wish he didn't have to wear it either, but it's for his own good. Even though he hates it and can't eat as much.

I am concerned about his weight loss. A pound in a week is pretty substantial. He didn't really like the pellet mash, and the only thing he'll eat willingly from me is greens. I think he's also dehydrated. I moved the water bottle up in hopes it would be easier for him to get the collar around it. Also, held the bottle up to his mouth last night and this morning. Last night he had a big drink, but wasn't interested this morning.

The other three bunnies love the baby food though. Sekura was grabbing the syringe and attempting to run away with it, she didn't think it through though as who was supposed to empty it for her?

You can feel poor little Zeke's hips sticking out now, and you can see them too.

I am very glad I can do the injectable antibiotics though. It's so much better all around. Easier for me, and better for him in terms of healing and them not upsetting his tummy.

--Dawn

aurora369 wrote:
I am concerned about his weight loss. A pound in a week is pretty substantial. He didn't really like the pellet mash, and the only thing he'll eat willingly from me is greens. I think he's also dehydrated. I moved the water bottle up in hopes it would be easier for him to get the collar around it. Also, held the bottle up to his mouth last night and this morning. Last night he had a big drink, but wasn't interested this morning.

Yeah, that's a pretty significant weight loss :( As for the hydration, if he's eating greens then douse them in water first so that they're just shy of dripping wet. That'll at least give him more H[sub]2[/sub]O.

So he's looking boney at 5 plus pounds?! He's a big mini-rex then! bo is like that tho but he's sorta chunky at 5 pounds. I try to keep him around 4.5 - 4 pounds he looks too thin.

Have you tried letting him eat while the collar is off? with you watching him?

Zeke is a standard rex, well his mom was anyways. His father was an angora or some other woolly breed. The litter ended up with 2 rex furs, one long furred and 5 with normal fur (but extremely soft). So, he's a bit under weight right now. He could have stood to loose maybe a couple of grams, but not .5kg! When you can see his hip bones sticking out, I think that is a bit too thin.

I think I'm going to get some pedialyte and see if he'll take it from a syringe. Or some watered down juice.

I will definitely soak his greens for tonight as well.

He's on a lower dose of pain meds too. So I'm going to watch him when I get home and see if perhaps he needs to go back to the higher dose.

--Dawn

I didn't realize you could get rex fur from one non-rex parent in the match.

YES he is underweight if you can see his bones. Poor baby. Give him a nibble of oatsies with giving him his medicine. That will pack weight on them. If you give it in moderation and just a pinch.... it shouldn't upset his tummy. Bo and Clover get them here and there as a treat.

Aww, poor Zeke! Hope he recovers soon... Hadn't looked in this area of the forum for a while, saw this thread and felt bad, you've been giving megood advice back over in the RO forum, but you've had all this going on too! Sending get well soon vibes to Zeke!

Awww, thanks for your support mouse_chalk! It's only because I'm addicted to this forum...

I had Zeke out on the couch this afternoon with his collar off. He had quite the grooming session, although he was a bit PO about not being allowed to groom his nether regions. I kept my hand between his privates and his mouth, but he got to groom everything else.

He dug on the fleecy blankets and lyed down with me for a bit. Then he got a large dose of polysporin on his man bits and back to the cage with the collar.

Ryan fed him the rest of the greens when he got home from work early. So he's had a lot of greens today. I'm going to try some oats after dinner. Maybe he'll like oats in baby food...

I took a couple pictures of his time on the couch. I'll post them when I get the chance to upload them.

--Dawn

Back