Pick Your Pellet...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually use hartz now, I use to use thepurina until I found bugs in the last half of the bag and I had it in acontainer. I figured that it was way too much for one bun tobe storing. Plus one of the feed stores closed down thatcarried it and the other feed store never has it in. Is hartzbad? I did compare the ingredients and they looked the sameto me, I like that it had the good bacteria in it and it was a smallerbag

i use vitakraft...ive tried others, but my bunnywon't eat anything else. i recently tried purina and she stopped eatingcompletely and lost a few pounds.

ive heard hartz is actually one of the worstbrands out there, someone correct me if im wrong. when i checked it outa few years ago with my first bun, i saw that it had meat in it, whichis disgusting! does it have all that colorful stuff in it like thedried carrots and seeds? if so, those are very unhealthy for buns andjust causes obesity. im surprised your purina had bugs in it, it musthave been the feed store you got it from because they're a very highquality pellet. i was thinking about switching from purina to oxbow,but shipping is a KILLER! i think my boys are going to stick to purina,i am however switching them from the green bag to the complete plus,with the higher fiber.

kim, im sending you a pm.

gypsy- tank is a BEAUTY! wow shes really gorgeous, and im in love with that dewlap.

I feed Devon and Amber Oxbow Bunny Basics T. Itwas reccomended by our vet because of its high fiber, and the bunnieslove it too.

We use CopRice here, it's a local feed, our bunnies are thriving on it.

Crude Protein 18%
Crude Fibre 15%
Crude Fat 3%
Calcium 1%
Max salt 0.60%
MIn Phosophorus 0.70%

we now buy it in 40KG bags.

I use Nutrena and I would strongly back it whenasked. We get much better results than any other feed we've usedbefore. Put it this way, I tracked every one of my rabbits from aswitch from Blue Seal to Pen Pals. There was an improvement. And then Iswitched from Pen Pals to Nutrena and WHOA! Big difference!

Just My Opinion

Kat

FlopsnWills wrote:
ive heard hartz is actually one of the worst brands outthere, someone correct me if im wrong. when i checked it out a fewyears ago with my first bun, i saw that it had meat in it, which isdisgusting! does it have all that colorful stuff in it like the driedcarrots and seeds?
The one we buy is just pellets the Original Recipe no meat in it Iwould never buy anything with meat in it, meatisbadFor buns and people ;)I always checkthe ingredients on everything, and when I compared hartz and purina italmost had about the same ingredients in it. Maybe I shouldfind another pellet, it's just hard having one bun and I can't buy agiant bag he doesn't go through it that fast. Unless I can freeze itdoes anyone know if I could do that?

Does anyone have any opinions on Dumor Showformula? I got my first show bun this past weekend and would love tokeep her on the feed she was on but the nearset vendor is 1 1/2 hoursaway. :(So I am going to be gradually switching her oversoon. She is a broken blue tort AFL! :D

ratmom wrote:
FlopsnWills wrote:
ive heardhartz is actually one of the worst brands out there, someone correct meif im wrong. when i checked it out a few years ago with my first bun, isaw that it had meat in it, which is disgusting! does it have all thatcolorful stuff in it like the dried carrots and seeds?
The one we buy is just pellets the Original Recipe no meat in it Iwould never buy anything with meat in it, meatisbadFor buns and people ;)I always checkthe ingredients on everything, and when I compared hartz and purina italmost had about the same ingredients in it. Maybe I shouldfind another pellet, it's just hard having one bun and I can't buy agiant bag he doesn't go through it that fast. Unless I can freeze itdoes anyone know if I could do that?

Hartz no longer includes meat or animal by-products in their rabbitfood. At one time they did and I have heard of people getting oldoutdated stock that should have been pulled from the shelves. I alwayscheck for freshness/manufacture date marks.

ratmom wrote:
Unless I can freeze it does anyone know if I could do that?
Yes, you can freeze pellets. I use Purina, but go through a 25# bag inabout 2 weeks...so I really don't have to worry to much about it goingbad before I use it.

I'm going to see if I can find that purina againfor him then and just freeze it, because I really liked thatfood. His hartz is almost gone so I will still have to buyanother bag to slowly switch him back to purina again. Thanks for yourhelp:)

I use Hagen. Its the only rabbit pellet thatswidely available where I am. Others are either the no brand, cheapvariety packed in plastic bags or the super expensive imported type.

I fed my show netherlands Martins for years withgreat results. I just bought some breeding stock(I haven't had bunssince 2001) and they are being fed pellets from Co-op and Peavy Mart.OK if you're raising meat rabbits,but I can't wait to get themMartins(or something better!) I like the fact that the Martins pelletsare extruded. My problem is the only two plces that might sell 10kgbags or bigger are 2-3 hrs away..........

I feed my Rabbits Purina Show in the Big BlueBag, it cost $10.50 for a 50 lbs bagand my 3 Show DwarfHotots have been on Petrus since they were little so they get that. andI get it from a lady here in Tx and it cost for a 50 lbs $9.20 and Igot the bag I am on now in Nov 05 and I still have a half bag I feedall my Rabbits a 1/4 cup a day and lots of hay.

Shawnda

HollynRabbits wrote:
I feed mine Small World Rabbit Pellets.... is that a good or bad brad...
I think that Small World Rabbit Pellets is not a very good brand. I used to buy that for my rabbit because it was cheap, but then I realized that he wasn't getting all of the nutrients that he needed. Try looking around to see if you can buy Purina Rabbit Chow or Oxbow Bunny Basics. Those two are very good brands.

~Josh

I'm sorry I haven't been able to read through all the responses, has anyone mentioned Manna Pro? (Or Manna Gro, Manna Sho).

My rabbits absolutely LOVE IT! So much less waste.

Back