Pick Your Pellet...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We feed our hollands Blue Bonnett 15% along witha conditioning mix* made up of calf mana, barley, oats, black oilsunflower seeds, and wheat germ oil. Our minis get 17% along withconditioning mix, and everyone gets a handful of hay per day, andconstant supply of fresh water.

*1 to 2 tsp. on top of the pellets

Brandy,

Are any of these locations closer to you:

The Canadian Pet Connection
Servicing Ontario, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan

1500 Upper Middle Rd West,
Unit 5B,
Oakville, Ontario
L6M 3G3
Canada
Phone: (866) 812-3430
Email: [email protected]

Corico, Inc.
Servicing Quebec and Eastern Provinces

Succursale N.D.G
C.P. 306
Montreal, Quebec H4A 3P6
Canada
Phone: 514-865-5328
Fax: 450-226-5355

Retail andVeterinarian Locations:

Global Pet Foods
2019 Yonge St.
Toronto, Ontario M4S 2A2
Canada
Phone: 416-487-6267

Global Pet Foods
314 Harwood Ave S.
Ajax, Ontario L1S 2J1
Canada
Phone: 905-428-7387

Calgary Avian & Exotic Pet Clinic
3118 - 17 Ave. SW
Calgary, Alberta T3E 0B2
Canada
Phone: 403-240-3577

Westhill Veterinary Clinic
276 Stewart Green SW
Calgary, Alberta T3H 3C8
Canada
Phone: 403-242-9612

Associated Veterinary Clinic
4204 4th Street NW
Calgary, Alberta T2K 1A2
Canada
Phone: 403-277-0135

Scenic Acres Veterinary Clinic
126 - 8060 Silversprings Blvd
Calgary, Alberta T3L 5K1
Canada
Phone: 403-286-6557

Vancouver Rabbit Rescue & Advocacy
P.O. Box 45039, Dunbar R.P.O
Vancouver, BC
Canada
Phone: 604-873-6709

Hope this helps ... I used to order them ... yes, costis definitely an issue and it took a couple of weeks for it to arrive.I found a Vet Hospital/Clinic close by, but now I can purchase themfrom area Pet Food Express stores.

My bun loves the Bunny Basic/T ... truth be told he just loves to eat. LOL

Purina Show Advanced Nutrition-Blue Bag, used touse regular green bag Purina rabbit chow. My rabbits just struggled tokeep condition on it. No problems since the switch.

Pam

MeatHead is off of Big Red. Big Red really makeshis urine and poop smell extreamly bad. Ever since he has been eatingBlue Seal Show Hutch his poop and urine does not smell at all. WE onlysmell his night poops which is normal.

JBC wrote:
Retail andVeterinarian Locations:

Calgary Avian & Exotic Pet Clinic
3118 - 17 Ave. SW
Calgary, Alberta T3E 0B2
Canada
Phone: 403-240-3577

Westhill Veterinary Clinic
276 Stewart Green SW
Calgary, Alberta T3H 3C8
Canada
Phone: 403-242-9612

Associated Veterinary Clinic
4204 4th Street NW
Calgary, Alberta T2K 1A2
Canada
Phone: 403-277-0135

Scenic Acres Veterinary Clinic
126 - 8060 Silversprings Blvd
Calgary, Alberta T3L 5K1
Canada
Phone: 403-286-6557

The above places in CalgarycarryOxbow. I recently got Bunny Basic/T fromthere as Edmonton doesn't have any. It's a 3 hour driveoneway.

Rainbows! :?

My babies food has changed again. Theyare eating a 50/50 mix of Blue Seal Show Hutch Deluxe and MannaPro. I can get Manna Pro much easier in my area, but I likethe nutrition in the Blue Seal much better. My larger rabbitsget Calf Manna daily.

Jen

thank you so much gypsy and carolyn:)i really appreciate it! ive been wondering what themajority out there really was when it came to pellets and i can now seethat it really is mixed up!! the reason im switching from the purinagreen bag to oxbow is because i always have to order ahead for thepurina at the feed store and if i switch to oxbow, it will be moreexpensive but i can just order it online. (i know, im horribly lazy!)thanks again!!

carolyn and gypsy.. what do you feed??

Sparky and Scooter eat American Pet Diner Timothy Pellets.

FlopsnWills wrote:
thank you so much gypsy and carolyn :)i reallyappreciate it! ive been wondering what the majority out there reallywas when it came to pellets and i can now see that it really is mixedup!! the reason im switching from the purina green bag to oxbow isbecause i always have to order ahead for the purina at the feed storeand if i switch to oxbow, it will be more expensive but i can justorder it online. (i know, im horribly lazy!) thanks again!!

carolyn and gypsy.. what do you feed??
I feed Heinhold 16/18 to my crew , its a bitmore expensive as it only comes in # 40lb bags , where as most other feeds come in # 50's . I payfor # 40 what most pay for #50 , but theresults are remarkable .

My Rabbits keep condition , and only gainwhat fat is needed nothing more. I coulddo comparison photos of one particular rabbit butwill spare everyone that , If you want tosee the amazing difference it makes Go totheTank Train thread and Look at Tank beforeshe came here , then Go to my home thread and seethe picture of her I posted today . She has gone from Fat to Stocky andin supurb condition .

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=10423&forum_id=1

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=9422&forum_id=1&page=16

The two spoiled brats over here get Oxbow BunnyBasics/T ... The only pellet, the pet store we got them from would selland the only pellet, my vet vocally recommends.

I remember the first time I went to the vet with Freddy, I couldntremember the name of the pellet when she had asked...not that the vetfreaked out, but nicely stressed to stay away from Kaytee Bonanza andanything that looked like it LOL

All the feed stores around here carry the samekind of rabbit feed because it's manufactured here. It'scalled Prime Quality and is a "grower" formula because the market isfor breeders, not pets. There are a few other brands, butthey have even higher protein. This one is 16% minimumprotein and 16-18% fiber.

Wish I could at least get Purina Rabbit Chow, but nobody has it.

There are the pet store brands like Kaytee, but it costs about 5 timesmore. I've thought about switching to Oxbow or something thatI would have to order online (and would cost like 8 times more), but Idon't know if it's worth it. What do you all think?

Some of you mentioned better ingredients - what are things to look for?

doodle wrote:
All the feed stores around here carry the same kind ofrabbit feed because it's manufactured here. It's called PrimeQuality and is a "grower" formula because the market is for breeders,not pets. There are a few other brands, but they have evenhigher protein. This one is 16% minimum protein and 16-18%fiber.

There are the pet store brands like Kaytee, but it costs about 5 timesmore. I've thought about switching to Oxbow or something thatI would have to order online (and would cost like 8 times more), but Idon't know if it's worth it. What do you all think?

Doodle,

here are a list of the %'s on OxBow's ingredients..so if you wanted tosearch for something you have something to compare by. Besides justbeing comparable in ingredients i would make sure that if the pelletyou are buying, especially if they are a small independent company, arefresh. Not to the fault of the pellet, but some stores dont changetheir stock out until almost all is gone. So I would just besure tocheck that in addition.

Oxbow bunny basics/T

Crude Protein (min) 14%

Crude fat (min) 1.5%

Crude Fiber (min) 25%

Crude Fiber (max) 29%

Moisture (max) 10%

Calcium (min) 0.35%

Calcium (max) 0.85 %

Phosphorus (min) 0.25%

Salt (min) 0.50%

Salt (max) 1%

Vitamin A IU/kg 20,000

Vitamin D IU/kg 880

Vitamin E IU/kg 140

Copper mg/kg 20

oh oh and here are the ingredients list:

Timothy grass meal, soybean hulls, wheat middlings, soybean meal, canemolasses, salt, limestone, yeast culture, vitamin a acetate, vitamin d3supplement, vitamine supplement (tocopherol), vitamin csupplement (abscorbic acid), collodal silica, menadionesodiumbisulphate complex (vitamin K), riboflavin, niacin supplement, vitaminb12 supplement, pantothenic acid, biotin, thiamine, choline chloride,DL-methionine, pyrodoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, sodium selenite,magnesium sulfate, ferrous sulfate, cobalt carbonate, manganese oxide,zinc oxide, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, mineral oil, calciumiodate,potassium chloride.

FreddysMom wrote:
doodle wrote:
All the feedstores around here carry the same kind of rabbit feed because it'smanufactured here. It's called Prime Quality and is a"grower" formula because the market is for breeders, notpets. There are a few other brands, but they have even higherprotein. This one is 16% minimum protein and 16-18%fiber.

Doodle,

here are a list of the %'s on OxBow's ingredients..so if you wanted tosearch for something you have something to compare by. Besides justbeing comparable in ingredients i would make sure that if the pelletyou are buying, especially if they are a small independent company, arefresh. Not to the fault of the pellet, but some stores dont changetheir stock out until almost all is gone. So I would just besure tocheck that in addition.

Oxbow bunny basics/T

Crude Protein (min) 14%

Crude fat (min) 1.5%

Crude Fiber (min) 25%

Crude Fiber (max) 29%

Moisture (max) 10%

Calcium (min) 0.35%

Calcium (max) 0.85 %

Phosphorus (min) 0.25%

Salt (min) 0.50%

Salt (max) 1%

Vitamin A IU/kg 20,000

Vitamin D IU/kg 880

Vitamin E IU/kg 140

Copper mg/kg 20

oh oh and here are the ingredients list:

Timothy grass meal, soybean hulls, wheat middlings, soybean meal, canemolasses, salt, limestone, yeast culture, vitamin a acetate, vitamin d3supplement, vitamine supplement (tocopherol), vitamin csupplement (abscorbic acid), collodal silica, menadionesodiumbisulphate complex (vitamin K), riboflavin, niacin supplement, vitaminb12 supplement, pantothenic acid, biotin, thiamine, choline chloride,DL-methionine, pyrodoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, sodium selenite,magnesium sulfate, ferrous sulfate, cobalt carbonate, manganese oxide,zinc oxide, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, mineral oil, calciumiodate,potassium chloride.
Holy crap Freddy the ingredience is similar to Blue Seal forrabbits and guinea pigs. The only differnce is that guinea pigs are abit lesser than buns.

Back