New Litter - White Flemish Giants

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow!

We do a lot of nutrition trial stuff in my Animal Nutrition class that got me thinking...
Have you ever weighed a litter every day? I'd be interested in seeing what kind of average daily gain and feed efficiency they had at this age, though I guess feed efficiency would be really hard before they're weaned.

Do you know yet what you have for does and bucks?

Any favorites yet?

Have they started recognizing you and coming to see you?

and...are they eating pellets yet? (I'm thinking that starts next week).

Well, they are not eating solid food yet... so it would be difficult to judge feed efficiency since they are only on mothers milk right now. They will start venturing outside the nestbox maybe next week. But they won't start eating pellets for another7-10 days. They will stay with Hopi, supplimented with mothers milk until they are 8-10 week old (if her milk holds out that long).

I won'tsex them at 2 weeks of age (not accurate enough). Although I do think the chubby one that I am holding on it's back is a doe... and the one that fell out of the nestboxthe other dayis a buck. Just a hunch... They are all about 3/4 lb., so they should be about a pound each by next week.

As far as recognizing me, their eyes just opened over the last 2 days. No, I don't think they know who I am as yet. (They will...)

SweetSassy wrote:
1week-4.jpg

SO CUTE!!

This looks like the kind of picture you would see on like a calendar or something professinallt cute for the masses ya know!

Ijust love the pic...think it is a great one...

I wonder what it must be like for them to see...brand new, what they have felt and heard all this time...

Oh my goodness they are soooo cute!! And soo big too for two weeks! They look like little puppies!

The first time I saw a White Flemmie was at State fair this year and it took my a while to figure out it was a flemmie because I didn't know they could be white!

gosh I don't know about the weights because we use kilograms... but from looking at the size compared to the hand, at two weeks old they look about the same size as my friend's 8 week old mini lop kits.

they got a lot fluffier in the second week as well.

Man its so interesting seeing them develop from a baby.

Thank you! Congrats!

Is it true larger breed rabbits dont live as long as smaller breeds like Nethie's? Or is that an old wives tale?

How old is ur oldest Flemish?

Unfortunately, yeah, the larger rabbits don't live as long as the smaller ones do. On average, I see 5-7 years on my giants.

Right now, my oldest Flemish is a Blue Buck, Christian, who is almost6 1/2years old. (And yeah, he's still quite willing to sire a litter here and there!) And I have a Blue Doe that is 5 1/2 (but retired!)

Too bad the giants are not that common in Australia! I wish i saw more around.

You think its possible to bond a male Netherland with a female Giant? Or the size difference is too great?

I just love those babies! In another week or so they'll weigh more than Dora!:shock:

I need to snuggle the whole lot of them.:inlove:

Edit: l.lai, the size of the rabbit doesn't matter too much when bonding. Some rabbits do better with a rabbit of the same activity level and massive buns tend not to bounce around like Nethies do but that doesn't mean it can't work. I have a New Zealand bonded with a Dwarf Hotot, and Tinysmom's neutered flemmie Tiny (RIP) just loved the lionhead ladies... many of them. He had a harem.;)

Oh god Cathy they are absolutely gorgeous, I've missed looking at your giant babies, At 2 weeks them babies are nearly bigger if not bigger then my Swyer lol! There so adorable!

Latest posts

Back