New Litter - White Flemish Giants

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueGiants

Reaction score
Well, We had a much anticipated litter of 6 born this morning out of Hopi (my white girl) and Endevour (the White buck that took Best of Breed at the Storrs,CT. Specialty Show.) She is a first time mom and kinda forgot to pull any fur. Not to mention that they are all pretty bruised up.

Based on the way they look, I'd say she was a little rough removing their sacs, a few of them have really swollen, cut and bruised ears and legs. Two are very bruised over their backs and sides.

I am REALLY hoping they all make it. They are all good size, but a little chilled. I have them in the house on warm towels, and they are all moving around and responsive.

Here are some photo's of the new babies...
The whole litter...Bruised back... poor baby!
DSC00951.jpg

This one's ear looks pretty bad, I guess it got bit.
DSC00957.jpg

This one has cuts on his leg, side, head, and ear.
DSC00959.jpg

More bruising...
DSC00960.jpg

Settling in and getting comfy.
DSC00962.jpg

They have not been nursed yet, still pretty wrinkly.
DSC00965.jpg

I'll warm them up before I bring them back to her. Keeping my fingers crossed that they all make it. They all look pretty strong and of good size, so they have that going for them. (Hmmm... and being Whites, at least I don't have to worry about white scar hairs!)

Well, with Zak and Mickael still here, I've turned into a Flemish freak. ;)

You have my favorite bunnies -- Flemmies and Mini-Rexes!

Good luck with the litter. :clover: Snuggles and hugs all around!

sas :bunnydance:

Pipp... I thought they were only staying SHORT TERM... You were NOT going to keep them... Right? :shock: Oh-ohhhh! Another one bit by the Flemish bug!

Oh - I'm SO GLAD this litter is here.....I've been waiting and waiting to hear they were born.

I hope they all do well...

BlueGiants wrote:
Pipp... I thought they were only staying SHORT TERM... You were NOT going to keep them... Right? :shock: Oh-ohhhh! Another one bit by the Flemish bug!
Um...how could anyone keep flemish short-term and NOT become a flemish freak? You can get bitten by the bug after just moments in the presence of a flemmie...

They are all warmed up and I've brought them out to the nestbox and given them back to Hopi... and she jumped right in the nestbox and nursed them all. (Insert a huge sigh of relief here!) :clapping:(I get so excited over such simple things!)

I flipped her over and pulled a little more fur from her belly to make sure they stay warm. She didn't protest too much... but it was necessary. Their bellies are not full (like a ping pong ball) but they still got some milk in them. They all seem pretty content right now. I'll keep an eye on them for tonight. I'm still worried about the bruising.

TinysMom wrote:
BlueGiants wrote:
Um...how could anyone keep flemish short-term and NOT become a flemish freak? You can get bitten by the bug after just moments in the presence of a flemmie...
Silly me! I was just going by what she TOLD me... I should have known better that the Flemish would NEVER let her part with them!

Give Hopi a nose rub for me.....and tell her to take good care of all the babies in the litter....especially the little does.....just in case one needs to take a trip to Texas or something like that...

I hope they all make it! Has she pulled any more fur yet?? I hada Holland thta pulled fur almost a day after the babies were born, it had been kind of warm already

I meant to say earlier that I've had bruised babies like that - the one I'm most concerned about is the one with the ear that got bit so bad - I'm worried it might lose its ear.

They are so cute and so big compared to lionhead babies. I can hardly wait to see the fur come in.

14 hours old and we have full bellies! (You can still see the bruised ear!)
DSC00968.jpg

Looking much better! (This ones ear is bruised too.)
DSC00967.jpg

This is the really bruised baby... His umbilical is still fresh and his back legs are pretty swollen and bruised. But he was kicking and squirming... very lively.
DSC00966.jpg

She fed them, but didn't clean them. So I just took them out and cleaned them up. One had his back legs glued together with fur from the nest and urine. They are all cleaned up now and the nest is dry and clean.

Oh - I just LOVE baby bunnies.

I have a question for you...

I know with lionheads - even the first couple of days - I could usually tell which rabbits might be the most promising and which ones I knew already were pet bunnies - usually based on the length of the bunny and width and general bone density of the legs, etc.

Is it like that with flemish too? I'm not saying you can automatically know show quality at birth...but can you tell fairly early that there are a couple you want to watch in particular?

At this point, it's easy to pick out the runts and smaller bodies... but that's about it.I can pick out the bigger babies, the longer bodies, the wider body, the larger heads (usually boys!). Butsize isn't everything. I've had some really, reallybig babies turn out to be really big adults and totally not worthy to be put on the table for show. Poor shoulder, poor rise, pin bone hips, etc. I won't see details like that until they are 5-6 weeks old. THEN I can start sorting them in my mind as to who will be show and who will be pet... And even that is not set in stone. I re-evaluate every week until they are weaned. They change so much in the first 3 months, if I have ANY inkling that it might turn out to be a great rabbit, I'll hold onto it until it's 4-5 months old.

Edited to add: The last litter of whites that I had with3 girls(that you saw at Storrs), I did not keep the largest girl, I kept the second largest. She had much better rise, outstanding shoulders and a perfect mandolin shape. He larger sistermight make a great brood doe, but her shoulders were too low for me and she was kind of flat over the loin and hips.

Congratulations and they are so cute, I have never seen a white baby bunny before. I hope they all make it, in a couple of months if you need help caring for them, a couplecan come to Indiana.;)

Praying for the little ones, they have a great slave looking out for them.

Dave

Back