My Daisy is very sick *RIP*

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry Cheryl. You've been having the worst time ever the last few months.:(

I don't think it's wrong to look for a second opinion or look for more advice. Daisy sounds like she's still doing fairly well and it's not critical that you have her PTS right this very moment. Although I would call the vet back and demand some stronger pain meds. Metacam if pretty light and there are other options that will do more for her, such as some of the mild opiates. Some vets are hesitant to use them because they might upset the GI tract, but so does pain in rabbits anyway. Humans with cancer get really strong pain meds, rabbits should too. And no, stuff like Tramadol should not make her loopy.

Randy (ra7751) knows more about pain meds, if you want to pm him about it.

:big kiss:

Oh thankyou Angela,i didn't realize that the metacam wouldn't be strong enough,i will call them and see what can be done for her.

I was also just looking around on the net for more info..it was a bit hard to find the info but i did come across one article about bone cancer,but it was a dog,but the dog had the same problem as Daisy,the limb that the cancer has affected makes it lame,so they can no longer use it,and the swelling..just like Daisy's foot.

Here is just another picture that i took yesterday when i posted the first picture,but this one show's her foot better

Picture464.jpg

:(

Well i called the vet today,but i didn't actually talk to the vet myself,so i just talked to the nurse instead,i asked her if she could ask the Dr if Daisy can have stronger pain meds,the nurse went off to go talk with the Dr,she then comes back and says,that the Dr isn't sure what to give her,because you have to be careful what meds you give a bunny,she said they don't tolerate some meds very well,can upset their system...she said the metacam should do the job just fine.

Now what!!

I hung up the phone disapointed,and now i'm worrying that the metacam isn't going to help her at alland she is in pain.

Now i'm getting fustrated and mad...i want Daisy to be ok.

I hate seeing her like this..bunnies are mean't to be hopping around :(

Cheryl

Well, from what it looks like and how you describe it, I don't know that she's going to get complete relief. She's lost the use of her leg, there's obviously sore and irritated skin, and keeping her as comfortable as possible is about all you can do for now.

Oh Cheryl, my heart goes out to you, you are going through such a horrible time :(. I really don't have any more advice than what has been given, but just to let you know i am thinking and praying for you and Daisy!

Jan

This site has some more info on pain meds:

http://www.bunnylu.org/pain.html

Also check out the Medirabbit site, I don't have time to check but it should have more info as well as professional sources for more information. You could print these out and bring them to the vet to look at, or try to talk to him about it over the phone. I'm not sure what would be best in this situation although Randy might have an idea.

FYI, human end-stage terminal cancer patients usually get morphine and lots of it. But that makes you really loopy (high) and is also strictly regulated because it is highly addictive.

*sigh*

My only advice that I can give is euthanasia. It just doesn't seem that her quality of life is very good. I mean, you can draw it out with pain medicine, but how much of her personality will really be there? Pain meds are hard to use in a rabbit over a long period of time.

I can't tell you what to do. I can only tell you what my opinion is. And that is it.

I'm really sorry to say this, but I second Ivory's opinion. I don't think it serves any good to stretch out her life if the quality isn't at it's best you know. I really wish there was a positive prognosis, but I think it would be best to let her go peacefully. I'm sorry :hug::tears2:

I know what i should do,i just couldn't make that decision there and then like i had to with Marshy...i know i'm being really stupid you know...i know that!

I know i have to do whats best for Daisy,think about her quality of life..i know all that and i've done nothing but think of that

The hardest part now is packing her up in her basket and taking her to the vet and knowing she isn't coming home alive....i know i sound very sooky...well i am a big sook and i cannot help it,i just cry when i'm faced with these kinds of things..that's just me i guess

Oh Cheryl...you're not reacting in any way that I think any of us cannot understand. You've very recently lost two others...and you're having the intense desire to hang onto your girl...and I understand...

I know that you'll do what's best for her...maybe just at this moment, neither of you are quite ready to let go...and it's totally and completely understandable.

I had the same thought as the others...except in having so much loss recently, and in fact having lost one of my own, I couldn't bring myself to tell you to put down your girl.

You're a wonderful, amazing woman...and I know that you'll make the right decision for both of you.

Don't worry, Hun...you're on the right track here...don't do it until you're ready...but also be aware of her state.

We're here for and with you, Sweetie...drop me a line on MSN if you need to talk, ok? I'm here for you...

Lots of love,

Rosie*

Oh honey I'm so sorry, I didn't want to come across as callous in my post.

I know what you mean, it was so hard when I had to put my bunny Merry down- she was so sick, and I had just lost another bunny about five weeks before, named Holly. I had tried so hard to save Merry and I just couldn't. Even today I look back and I think of things that I should have done or could have done better- but didn't. Maybe those things, would have changed the outcome. Maybe they wouldn't have.

But you just have to do what's best for them. You do what's best for them in every other aspect of their lives- so extend that love and care to this.

Cheryl,

PLEASE don't berate yourself for your feelings about your Daisy! When the time is right for a decision to be made, you will know in your heart, and will act on it, because you love her so deeply. There's not ONE thing that you are doing that is wrong, imho. We'll be praying for you, and will hold you and Daisy up. Friends are there to hold you and your loved ones up when you can't hold yourself up. That's what is so awesome about this forum....so many caring friends with a common love. Pats and nose rubs, and lots of love from us here in Pennsylvania....Grace

I knew in my heart i should have put her to sleep that day..i really really should have,the Dr wanted me to..

Ivory,you didn't come across as callous at all,i just burst into tears because i know it's the truth...i really do know

I'm so sorry Cheryl :(, I've had no internet for a couple of days and was so sad to come back on and read this thread.

I understand how you feel, and you aren't a sook, Daisy is your baby! You know what's best for her.

I'm not sure what to say :(, but I send my love to you and Daisy.

Grace,i know what you mean about this forum,sometimes when i'm going through such a time with my bunnies,i come here,even if i don't post anything that day,i just feel content knowing that i'm surrounded by warm loving people who love their bunnies as much as me,but you know how can being in a place hurt,yet feel so comforting at the same time.

Thanks Jess and Michelle

I guess i was just hoping the Dr got the diagnoses wrong,but even if he did,there is still the fact of her not being able to use her leg,and that's not really fair for her

Latest posts

Back