I really hate to do this. (re: aggressive bunny)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, we can't drive up to Amy's this weekend, so hopefully the weekend after. You can talk to amy if you guys want to change plans.

This entire situation has me really frustrated, I have recieved both good and bad comments.

What is really funny, is this isn't just an unexperianced owner with a new bunny which I feel like people who have PM'ed me or otherwise think..I am not new to rabbits or behavior. The really ironic thing is I used to do (Before space and time got real limited) work with aggresive reptiles. One of my chinchillas was aggressive, as well as my hamster, 2 degus I took in which stayed aggressive(They passed last year), and I worked at the shelter with the aggressive ferrets.

But it is SO different when it is yoru pet..I used to have a room for the fosters and such so I really think it makes a difference..and the emotions involved. I have told stories about the literal chunk of ankle missing from an bird or the tons of scars I have from reptiles or small animals.

For those who PM'd me, I am not going to reply unless it is positive or supportive. You really don't know anything because your not in my situation and you really DON'T know whats going on.

Thank you to the rest of you who have been nice and supportive!

Quite frankly I think the decision to rehome or let go of a pet for those of us who are pet lovers is one of THE hardest, most soul-searching and hurt-filled choices to make. It's not something one enters into lightly I know or as anything but a last ditch option when all else has failed. You are offering him and you both a chance to have a breather and get out of this behaviour rut, and you are both undoubtedly very stressed. Anyone who doesn't understand that hasn't been there and hasn't any a foot to stand on in judging you. I hope they have the common courtesy to simply sympathize with a tough situation instead of adding hurtful comments to it.

I would still be interested in hearing about Sheriff updates if they will be posted on here? (Or another place, private blog or whatnot...) As I said elsewhere behaviour, aggression and fear are special interests of mine.

Kind regards,
Amanda

I wish the best of luck to both parties, I myself would not keep any aggressive animal, you are much braver than me for sticking it out this long, anyways good luck and I hope you find yourself happy and comfortable in the end no matter the end decision

Well, I was bit again.
What I have been doing is wearing pants and tube socks, and letthing him chase or lunge at me to show I don't care, and I am not afraid. It worked fantastic! Kinda.
He didn't stop lunging or chasing, but stopped biting when he did it after the couple times.
But then I made the mistake of you know, changing in my own bedroom, and I was bit on the leg again as I was putting my undies on! It broke skin but was not nearly as bad.

The worst part he came out of NOWHERE. I dont' know where he came from. It was ninja bunny. lol!

I am def feeling better about the situation..I think what I am doing is the best for Sheriff. Maybe when I drop him off at Amys (Its a long drive so I don't know if Sheriff will be scared or anything, when we drive him to peoria he is very calm and scared) she can see how bad it is.

I do feel better that he can lunge and I am not so afraid. He gets more play time, lol. Which I think may be part of the problem.

He gets usually 4+ hours (no exaggeration) out..but maybe he needs more, and more space. I don't think he is meant to be an apartment bunny, or an apartment bunny w/o his own room.

He also is now agressive to James..but I think it may be fear because James would also be the one to take him and put him the cage now (since he bites me) and now dislikes him.

The good news is, I have a job interview. I already told Amy I would pitch in for the nueter, but this makes me feel better if I take him back in, I can pay for all of it.

Yeah it deff. looks like hormonal issues with him. He is being very territorial of his cage, you can see it with the way he holds his tail up. That is how i know a rabbit is not happy when they are in my rescue and are going to try and bite is when their tail is high up in the air. I think neutering will deff. help with his aggression, hopefully soon his balls will drop.

Also another thing I have found to help territorial bunnies is getting them a spayed female friend. Most bunnies that are territorial get over it when they have a friend because they have to share their cage and food with someone else so the space isn't just theirs anymore. Any cage aggressive rabbits that come into my rescue the first thing i do is get them altered, if that doesn't work i get them a friend and that usually calms them down a lot.

Let me know how everything goes and I hope he gets better

I just thought I'd go ahead and update this thread and let you all know that Sheriff will be coming to my house tomorrow night (Friday) :biggrin2:. I already have his cage all set up and now I am very excited to start working with him.

Here is his cage (in the living room).....

4482864229_267c1e0c63.jpg

4483514142_de5a18bb99.jpg

4482866763_6c5cc3582d.jpg

Aw Amy it looks way better than mine! LOL.

Do you still need my corner litterbox? And do you want his blanket? Its just a fleece one.

LOL....his cage looks better then my own bunnies cages right now, but thats only because its impossible to keep hay and stray poops in the litter box....not to mention tons of rabbit hair!

I probably won't need his litter box or fleece blanket - just food, whatever toys he has that he likes (and has his scent on), and I guess whatever else you have for him. OH! and definitely his NIC cage panels, since I used most of my extras up for his cage and now I don't have enough to make large pens (for dividing run times).

Ok. So this is what I have:
3 large ziplocks of food (Tell me if you need more, but it should be enough)
1 large glass food dish
A dog water bowl (The ones that have the canister you fill up) he hates water bottles
Some toys (Honestly, there isn't a lot due to the fact he chews them like crazy)
NIC Panels
Pedigree/Papers (just in case!)

And..anything else?

That should all be good - I can't think of anything else right now. Maybe 2 bottles of water that you use for him...some bunnies are picky about drinking different water right away (I'd mix mine with yours) and since I live in a different area, I'd rather be prepared just in case.

Okay, well we only used Tap (I have a very strong theory on tap..and if anyone asks YES I also drink tap) but I will anyways.

I would bring you some hay, but were returning it..its super hard and not even very green. The feed store down here has been failing us

I use tap, too, so just bring me some of yours anyway :p. I used to use filtered, but our filter system doesn't fit our new faucet, so we haven't gotten around to doing something about it....HAHA!

Don't worry about hay, I just got a massive bale from the feed store that is super green, leafy, and even has some yummy flowers in it!

That video makes me sad. He is beautiful, yet you can not enjoy him. I have a rabbit who dislikes me, in a shy way, and it is sad. She does not like me but is fine with my sister.

I took in an agressive doe last year. Well, she was living at a vets. She was very agressive but the techs had been working with her for months and she no longer bit, just growled and scratched. She ways spayed the next day I picked her up and she was totally change from how she was the one time I had met her. Neutering really seems to help agressive rabbits. But it can also make sweet rabbits mean.

It is great what Amy is doing! You are lucky to be so close to each other :)

Amy you may have already thought about it but I would put a clip at the bottom of the door to.

Amy you also have a PM. Please read it and get back to me.

We have the same litter boxes to.

Can I make a small suggestion? Someone (with gloves on!) should re-check the sex of Sheriff... Reading back through this thread, the one thing that stands out is this really seems to be Doe-like behavior... The vet can't even feel the testicals? At 4+ months, they should be palpable... (and female hormonal behavior is typical at this age...)

Latest posts

Back