I really hate to do this. (re: aggressive bunny)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myia09

Reaction score
So, I may get a lot of negativity from this, but I don't know what else to do.

I have a government funded job as a caregiver to speical needs children, I have had my wages cut $1.50 in a year, and my hours gone from 30 to 20. Finally the State crashed and I am down to 10 hours a week. I make a measly $97 a week now, which I don't even know how I am goign to pay bills with that.

If that wasn't bad enough news, Sheriff ripped open my foot yesterday. I just can't do it anymore. He hates me.

I called the vet and scheduled an "emergency" visit (our original appt is on Friday) and they told me he isn't ready to be nueterd..his testicals have not dropped and to do the surgery without them being dropped will cost around $250-300, which I simply don't have to spend on a nueter. A regular nueter costs around $70.

After spending the $50 on the visit, I simply don't have any money now that I am making half of what I was. My emergency vet funding is all gone.

And simply I can't deal with him anymore. He chases me, bites me, is aggressive. I thought I could hold out, be a good parent. But I don't know when I will be even able to afford the nueter (it would be an entire paycheck)

He only bit James twice when he decided to stick his hand in the cage and pet Sheriff, and it was never the break skin as it has been with me.

If anyone in AZ thinks they can help him, I need to give him to a good home. He isn't like this with anyone else, but I can't chance giving him to someone who isn't experianced.

He is free, and comes with his NIC cage (It has to be torn down to remove out of my bedroom however, its is 4 cubes long, 2 cubes high, 2 cubes wide, with a second story) his water bowl, dish bowl, toys, litter box, and a bag of food.

He is free since he will need to be nueterd. He is also paperd and pedigreed and would make a great show bunny.

And even if I get the money for the nueter (I am trying to sell things) I don't think I can live with him anymore. I am afraid of him, I don't want him around me. I have confined his play time to the bedroom because I can't walk around him. I try to be the "pack leader" but when I tried that I now have a foot that is severly bit open.

If no one can take him, I have to give him back to his breeder, but I rather see him go to a pet only home.

He is VERY active and requires a lot of attention and toys. He really is a good bunny.

Sorry RO to let you down.

Oh my goodness! Isn't this your bunny that was chasing the sock in the video? I was thinking about getting an EL, but I don't know now...
I really don't know what to say, but I'm sorry. Couldn't you possibly wait it out until after the neuter? But chances are that he'll probably not change after, but he may. He may become calmer, but he probably has made a habit out of this. You can train him, right? What I'm trying to get to is that if you had a kid that was acting out agressivley, I'd think you'd try to work with the kid, same goes for the rabbit.

But if you can't afford him any longer, then rehoming may be the best thing.

I hope someone here can take him in!

Yeah, he was chasing the sock. Which I guess should have been a sign of the aggressivness to come. Not all EL's are like this..this can happen to any rabbit of any breed.

I can't afford the nueter anytime soon, so there is just waiting it out with him being aggressive, which is borderline neglect because I can't take him out or play with him like I used to. And I simply CAN'T do it anymore.

And I HAVE tried to work with him. Thats the fudgeing thing. I knew someone was going to come in here and try to guilt me into keeping him because I am a bad "parent"

I have done everything. Enrichment activities, being the "pack" leader. Maybe if you take a look at my pictures of the wounds he has caused, maybe it would be a different story.

So yes, if I had a kid who constantly hit me and there was nothing I could do, I might have to put him in juvenile detention or find a way to deal with him then just being nice.

Its not a matter of affording him either; I still budget my costs in in expense to mine. All my animals are fed teh best, get the best. Its the fact I can't afford the nueter at this time.

Maybe go read my other posts about him and what I have been trying to do than just judging off the bat.

Myia09 wrote:
Yeah, he was chasing the sock. Which I guess should have been a sign of the aggressivness to come. Not all EL's are like this..this can happen to any rabbit of any breed.

I can't afford the nueter anytime soon, so there is just waiting it out with him being aggressive, which is borderline neglect because I can't take him out or play with him like I used to. And I simply CAN'T do it anymore.

And I HAVE tried to work with him. Thats the fudgeing thing. I knew someone was going to come in here and try to guilt me into keeping him because I am a bad "parent"

I have done everything. Enrichment activities, being the "pack" leader. Maybe if you take a look at my pictures of the wounds he has caused, maybe it would be a different story.

So yes, if I had a kid who constantly hit me and there was nothing I could do, I might have to put him in juvenile detention or find a way to deal with him then just being nice.

Its not a matter of affording him either; I still budget my costs in in expense to mine. All my animals are fed teh best, get the best. Its the fact I can't afford the nueter at this time.

Maybe go read my other posts about him and what I have been trying to do than just judging off the bat.

WOAHHHHH!!!! I NEVER once called you a bad pet-parent! I was just trying to suggest to you ways you can keep your Sheriff, since you obviously hate to give him up! But I never once called you a bad pet owner, and I never claimed that you don't give the best to your pets.

I follow your blog quite religously, so I would never accuse you of being neglectful. You care very much about your pets but since this is the first time I've been on in about 9 days I didn't know, I was just trying to help.

I wasn't trying to guilt you in to keeping him, either. That's your choice, and I'm not one to shove my opinions onto you by any means.

I just feel bad that you have to give him up, and I hate seeing people give up the things they love. If I could, I'd send you the money to get him altered, that's how much I'd love to see you keep him because you're an awsome owner. I'm sure that whatever decision you choose will be smart and well thought over.

Sorry my first post offended you.

I am sorry. I don't know. I am just so upset. I overreacted.

I called the vet place and they said the cost is too low to do payments. But I called my mother in law and she said she would maybe be able to front me the money in mid-april.

Idk. Even if I get him nueterd, how do I deal with the trust?

Myia09 wrote:
I am sorry. I don't know. I am just so upset. I overreacted.

I called the vet place and they said the cost is too low to do payments. But I called my mother in law and she said she would maybe be able to front me the money in mid-april.

Idk. Even if I get him nueterd, how do I deal with the trust?

That's what I figured, that you're upset. I'd be upset aswell.

If this were me, I wouldn't borrow the money. I don't like owing anybody money, but other people may be comfortable with it. But with your budget so tight and having to pay bills and care for other animals, it may be in the best interest to give him to someone else, as I would do. But, I would look into programs that help pay for alterations. Like, where I am located, we have this place called CAAPS, and all you do is fill out a low-income form, tell them what you need, and they'll pay the price of the procedure. In some cases, like yours, if the procedure is cheap enough, you won't have to pay it back. Try to google low-cost clinics in your area or organizations that will help you out.

With trust issues, are you referring to you trusting him, or him trusting you? If it's you towards him, I'd just take it real slow. Maybe try to hand feed him veggies, let him run around you(with some sort of protection on so you don't get hurt), and try to just find ways to get close with him. Maybe play out in some grass with a halter and lead attached to him.

I hope someone more experienced with this can help you, as I'm just guessing at all of the above, but I've read it somewhere at some point.

Why dont you talk to your local rescue. My local humane society was going to help me get harriet spayed if I could not afford it.

But I found out its only a couple buck more for me to do it then that leaves them one more bunny spay they only get so many a year for bunnys.

Call them and tell them reach out to you bunny rescues I just avoid being in harriets area while she is out and i have devised a way to clean her cage and her litter box without having her in there. Man rescue will be willing to work with you on a neuter then have another homeless bunny.

Just trying to help and I am in the same boat with you on aggression.

I would borrow the money he is just scared and needs time and no hormones it took storm about 2 month to settle down.

And now he may not sit in my lap but he does look for attention and for food and he has been coming around recently.

I hope you figure it out I would borrow the money for the neuter and see

Well, the thing is (What everyone seems to be forgetting) is that Sheriff is only 4 months old and is a large breed rabbit. His testicals have not dropped and will not drop until 6-8 months. The vet said probably until the latter since sherriff is so large and he coudn't feel any testicals whatsoever.

So that means I have to deal with this for at least 2 more months, and I honestly dont think I can.

I will call the humane society however and ask if they would do that, or do payment plans.

Myia09 wrote:
Well, the thing is (What everyone seems to be forgetting) is that Sheriff is only 4 months old and is a large breed rabbit. His testicals have not dropped and will not drop until 6-8 months. The vet said probably until the latter since sherriff is so large and he coudn't feel any testicals whatsoever.

So that means I have to deal with this for at least 2 more months, and I honestly dont think I can.

I will call the humane society however and ask if they would do that, or do payment plans.

Have you tried other vets? Maybe they'll do an early neuter if your current will not.

You may also have a hard time finding him a home if he's having these agression problems, unless you surrendered him to a HS.

I can't believe this!! I just got done re-reading your blog and it's a shame that his hormones have him all twisted, since he's obviously a very sweet little man.

OH, have you discussed with your vet about doing an early neuter, then paying them off? Some vets will do this in emergency situations, like this. You can't have him biting you!

PSHH, JUST BITE HIM BACK! ;)

I don't have the $300 + to pay for a early nueter, even if I had normal hours at my work. I am sorry, but it is ridicolus price.

I know this is hard on you I went thru the same things a few months back and even though it was a hard decision it worked out for the best. U need to do what is best for you.

Myia09 wrote:
I don't have the $300 + to pay for a early nueter, even if I had normal hours at my work. I am sorry, but it is ridicolus price.

Wow, that is rediculous!

I agree with fancy, just do what's best for you and use your best judgment. You'll probably just find back-and-forth answers here.

I'm really sorry you are in this situation- it's not the ideal for anyone at all, and I really feel for you.

Thing is, there are many possible outcomes to this situation that you just don't know:

You wait, get attacked etc. for another 2 months, feel like you just can't go through it any longer, get him neutered, and then he totally calms down and you are relieved you saw it through, didn't give him up etc. as now he was much more docile and you could train him etc.

However- the neuter may not affect him at all! And in that case you waited 2 months of stress (and pain!), spent money that you need, all to just give him up anyway.

Neuters are often solutions to aggressive bunnies, though. They are recommended to control behavioural aggression and dominance issues, such as biting, territoriality, spraying etc. etc., so this could be a very promising option for you.

I think it's fantastic that even though you're struggling with your hours and finances, you still give your pets the best- that is how everyone should be, I think, if they commit to a pet. And you clearly love them all and are trying to do what you think is right for them. For that, noone can call you a bad pet-parent because you've been dealt a bad hand for a while.

I feel so strongly for you- I couldn't give my rabbits up because...well I just couldn't. So the fact you feel pressured into doing this through no fault of your own is just horrible.
If you do give him up, however, it will be because you feel you cannot give him the quality of life you think he needs- and in that case you will make sure he goes to a home that will provide him this- THAT is being a good parent, and however hard it may be to do this, if you feel this is the right choice for him, you can sleep with no guilt.

My advice is by no means 'right', but here is it: I don't think you want to give him up, because you love him, so don't let him go without a fight. I wait 2 months and go through the stress (Eek I know!), and borrow the money of your family for a neuter if you can't afford it, because you can pay them back in very small installments over however long (I'm sure they will understand- they are your family and wouldnt offer you this money if they wanted it paying back in 2 weeks, because they obviously know your situation), and see if he gets any less aggressive, which I think there is a very good chance of.

If, however, that fails to make a difference, and all training etc. fails too, then you can give him up knowing you did all you could for him.

Ultimately, however, it has to be what you feel. Noone's opinion is "right" here, so whatever you choose to do will be "right" for you and your situation, and noone can make you feel bad for that.
Everyone here knows what a great parent/person you are, so will support you in your decision, and hope all the best for you.

Hope my ramblings helped a bit
Good luck

Jen

Just posting here to let everyone know (maybe to relief some worry for you guys!) that I have offered to take Sheriff and work with him...then send him back to Myia when he's ready. I think she just needs a break from him and maybe he needs one from her. It's just up to Myia to decide if thats what she wants to do.

undergunfire wrote:
Just posting here to let everyone know (maybe to relief some worry for you guys!) that I have offered to take Sheriff and work with him...then send him back to Myia when he's ready. I think she just needs a break from him and maybe he needs one from her. It's just up to Myia to decide if thats what she wants to do.
I'm so glad to hear it! What a lovely thing to do- good for you. I hope this can give Myia some time to sort things out etc- I think that will really really help- space and time is what is needed here.

What a wonderful site this is

Jen

undergunfire wrote:
Oh thank goodness. I've been thinking about this all day.

Myia, Don't beat yourself up over this:hug:It's difficult to care for an animal that has attacked you and once your afraid I think they sense it. Which makes it worse :tears2:

For what it's worth I wouldn't put up with an animal that was behaving aggressively towards me either(biting, kicking, etc) And I love all my pets and don't think I'm a bad person for admitting it. Sometimes we just don't click with certain animals and they are just as unhappy as we are. It may be in his best interest to find him a new home.

Amy, I think it's a great thing you did by offering to take Sheriff in temporarily. I hope things work out for everyone involved :)Please keep us posted

undergunfire wrote:
That is so nice of you, Amy! It sounds like an awesome plan too. I hope it works out!

I've worked with some aggressive bunnies at the resuce. I know how scary it can be. Hugs to you Myia! :hug:
They can improve though, sometimes it takes a new environment and people. Other times it just takes time.

I haven't read all of the posts, but I think that rehoming him is the best thing that you can do for both of you. You've tried your best and I cringed each time you posted about a new bite or new aggressive behavior. It's odd that he only dislikes you, but it is clear that he targets you. I honestly am not 100% sure that the neutering would help. And it would still take a month for his hormones to subside. I think that rehoming him is the best thing for both of you at this point. Because if you get him neutered and he does calm down you're always going to be a bit jumpy with him and he'll sense that and possibly act out.

Latest posts

Back