I really hate to do this. (re: aggressive bunny)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, guys!

Kat....I just threw that clip on the cage because it was laying around. I am going to pick up some "dog leash" clips at the hardware store when I go to get a piece of lumber as a roof support (still need to put a roof on!).

Kathy....Myia can double check if she feels up to it, but if not then I will check his sex in a few days. I want to spend time sitting by his cage and talking to him before I start handling him - I want him to know that I'm his friend and don't want to push him so soon. Now that you say it, it does kind of sound like doe behavior - reminds me of Molly before her spay (minus severe biting).

BlueGiants wrote:
Can I make a small suggestion? Someone (with gloves on!) should re-check the sex of Sheriff... Reading back through this thread, the one thing that stands out is this really seems to be Doe-like behavior... The vet can't even feel the testicals? At 4+ months, they should be palpable... (and female hormonal behavior is typical at this age...)
I have done it time and time again, but I don't think the vet actually checked his penis. But no, he said he couldn't feel the testicals, but with sheriff being such a large rabbit, they should drop at the "normal" large breed size of 6-8 months, focusing on the latter. :/

Can you actually feel rabbit goolies? I know most of the time, from what I remember, they hide them up in there so I would think it would be impossible to feel them....a young rabbit's at that. From what I remember....rabbit googlies are really thin and not like *BAM* GOOLIES!!!!

:laugh:

Myia09 wrote:
BlueGiants wrote:
Can I make a small suggestion? Someone (with gloves on!) should re-check the sex of Sheriff... Reading back through this thread, the one thing that stands out is this really seems to be Doe-like behavior... The vet can't even feel the testicals? At 4+ months, they should be palpable... (and female hormonal behavior is typical at this age...)
I have done it time and time again, but I don't think the vet actually checked his penis. But no, he said he couldn't feel the testicals, but with sheriff being such a large rabbit, they should drop at the "normal" large breed size of 6-8 months, focusing on the latter. :/

I have "large" rabbits... Flemish giants... and it doesn't take 6 months for them to "drop". Honest... I'm sorry you are having this issue... I really hope Amy can help.

And on another note, I have used the Rescue Remedy on rabbits. Especially on rabbits that have been dumped here. It works really well on calming them down and helping with the stress and panic they sometimes feel. That being said, it can be difficult to admisiter to rabbit that you can not handle.

Rescue Remedy is mostly alcohol. It does have some herbs, etc, but I'm guessing that it's like a gin and tonic--yeah there's some herbal stuff and medical compounds in there, but what really relaxes you is the ethanol! But it's up to you--I don't think it will harm anybun unless you give it in ridiculously high doses.

Haha....bunny happy hour. I used Rescue Remedy when I drove my buns 2,500 miles from California to Florida. It really seemed to help. I gave them each a dropper-full in the morning before we would hit the road.

tonyshuman wrote:
Rescue Remedy is mostly alcohol. It does have some herbs, etc, but I'm guessing that it's like a gin and tonic--yeah there's some herbal stuff and medical compounds in there, but what really relaxes you is the ethanol! But it's up to you--I don't think it will harm anybun unless you give it in ridiculously high doses.
I LOVED rescue remedy.

Uh...I mean...my rabbits loved it.

I loved it when they had it cause they were so...calm. Fun.

Never drunk a a skunk though...

Maybe I should take some myself before the next show!

Sometimes males can have reversed testicles too, where they never drop. That's what happened with Dunkin. It drove me crazy, I was always second guessing myself if he really was a male and why they weren't dropping! Then I realized if he had a penis then he would for sure be a male. ;) So instead of looking for goolies, I looked for that and what do you know, he had one. At 10 months of age I realized they just weren't gonna drop so I took him in for his neuter where I discovered he had reversed testicles.

I'm excited for Sheriff! :hyper:

tonyshuman wrote:

The front of the bottle says 'alcohol free'.

I think that any 'elixir' requires alcohol to make, but after much recent research into this stuff (now forgotten), I don't think it's just the drunk bunny thing.

It does come recommended by a lot of credible sources.

It works for stress, I'd love to see how it works for aggression.

sas :bunnydance:

Funnily enough while I was reading through I was thinking, wow, that is really girly behaviour lol! Definitely see if you can get a second opinion on his sex or post pictures

I will pick up some Rescue Remedy tomorrow, as I don't have time right now and it will be too late later on. I loved that stuff when I had really severe panic/anxiety issues. Maybe it will relax Sheriff enough to the point where he can get used to being pet and stuff....so good idea, Sas!

Myia should be getting ready to leave her house pretty soon, so I estimate Sheriff should be here in about 2.5 hours or so!

Right now I need to figure out where to put the rats, since Sheriff's cage took over their spot. I think I might have to move my couch out of the bunny room in order to fit them in there, which kind of sucks because I like my couch in there!

They are about a half hour away :biggrin2:!

I am DYING to see an update from Amy...I hope all goes well with getting Sheriff settled, etc.

Make sure we get pictures girl...after he gets settled in a bit....maybe 5 minutes or so?

(Just kidding)

Well he is here and getting settled in already! My friend's Josh and Alyssa were also over, along with Ryan, James, and Myia, plus myself....so now that the house is quiet he is exploring his cage and making himself right at home. I offered him a yummy oats/blueberry treat and he willing nibbled it right out of my hand. He's been grooming and laying down like a duck, LOL! We will just see what he is like once he has really settled in. As much as I am dying to fuss with him, I know I need to wait until about Sunday night - at that point I will let him run around in about a 5ft by 10ft or so area attatched to his cage :).

4485919770_340a73a7dc.jpg

4485270345_44bbf939ce.jpg

4485924018_863cddcc2b.jpg

4485271393_5e0dd61b36.jpg

4485922946_cfbec2cdfa.jpg

So cute. :highfive:

I am so in love with him. I love big black bunnies (like Tiny and Nyx). He looks...like he's planning something - an escape or some sort of escapade.

I'm pretty sure he wants to eat Sammy (the dog), LOL! He hasn't lived with a dog (probably seem them?), so I bet he's curious.

It's funny because he does kind of have that "Tiny" look to him :biggrin2:!

Latest posts

Back