I really hate to do this. (re: aggressive bunny)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What if Sheriff has problems with other people too?

It seems to me like that is just as uncertain as him turning around after his neuter.

would also say sense Amy has offered to help maybe you could save up over the next two months for his neuter.

It will take 4 to 8 weeks for you to see his new temperament after his neuter. And then even still it could be over a long period of time for him to come around.

Well he needs to go now. I went to try to get him out of the cage, but he was lunging at me. I asked James to get him, and Sheriff literally chased and bit james so hard James had to KICK Sheriff off. He wouldn't let go.

What the hell is going on with this rabbit.

Even though I think you are a tad bit irritated with me, my offer stills stands. I can meet you in Cordes Junction....thats as close as I can safely go without my car blowing up on me.

I am not irritated with you Amy. Just upset at the situation. I am really sorry if it came off that way.
Well, if we bring him its no problem for us to go all the way, and we can hang out for the night too, if that is okay with you.

I had to change his water bottle and litter, and we tried to take a video. This is 100000 TIMES better than what he usually is...I normally can't even open the cage.

I would like to add, when he chaes, he DOES BITE. I am not runnign because he is just chasing. Yes, he is in fact biting. And if your wondering, yes my hand is bleeding for that bite.

I also apologize on how bad the cage is.

Looks territorial to me the way he charging forward to get you to back away from what he believes is his territory.
I would recommend wearing shoes around him. ;)

We had a rabbit that came from a breeder neglect situation at the rescue that had trust issues and territorial aggression. She bit a volunteer one day and was literally hanging from her hand, it was bad. Some people she didn't have as much trouble with, these were people she trusted more than others. She didn't like me all that much and constantly tried to bite me. When I say try to bite I mean mouth wide open and charging while grunting. Eventually we found a common ground. I would give her space and she would give me space. She had been making a lot of improvement and was adopted. She was bonded with her new mommy's bunny and now has a husbun.

Yeah, unfortunatly this is how it is in the lving room too. The entire apartment is his territory.
Well, I don't wear tennis shoes, I only have flats, so really they only protect my toes, lol. Plus wearing shoes right now isn't an option for the gash I have gets touched by my shoes.

<B>I know I didn't follow a lot of the rules in teh video</b> But please try to put yourself in my shoes..its hard. Not to mention this was after he severly attacked James so I was scared. I do follow most of the rules 100%

Its just A LOT HARDER than you think.

Its just so sad; I have had him since 8 weeks and he used to be the sweetest thing.

Amy is taking him, which I severly appreciate. I really hope he isn't like this to you, and that he calms down. I do feel horrible, but now James said we can't keep him (And he lays down the law) and I don't blame him.

I really hope he can find a new home, and maybe return to us (if all goes well)

Amy, I have toys, litter box, the NIC cage, his blanket, food bowl, water bowl. How much food do you need? And when you take him to get nueterd let me know and I will contribute.

I would like to add, The breedr we got him from sold a EL to another girl and she returned him for being aggressive. The breeder also tried to sell me a BEW Nethie that was super aggessive but "a great breeder"

I partly think my friend who returned her E-Lop was for other reasons besides "aggression" - I think he was just being a testy baby and she also complained about his poor litter box habits and said she rushed into getting him.

What food are you feeding? Can you bring me a big bag of it? I am thinking I will set his cage up in the living room and move my computer desk into the bunny room. I think being away from other bunnies will be best and like I said, I have slippery wood floors in the living room...so hopefully that will scare him out of chasing too much.

We will have to work out all of the neutering details and finding a new home/coming back to you when we get to that point. I just hope that by me taking him...it gives him a "fresh start" to get past all of the naughty baby/preteen/teen Lop bunny stage, LOL. It sure beats going back to the breeder (after living the life of a house bun) or ending up in the hands of someone who isn't bunny experienced. So, I might as well give it a try.

Big kudos to Amy. :hugsquish:

I don't believe that rabbits are like kids where you adopt them and you have to make a life-long commitment. Its more like entering into a marriage. You can decide you don't like each other and move on.

But I do think that wherever the rabbit goes once s/he leaves the sanctuary of the adopter has to be a step up or sideways and not a step down for the rabbit, and I think the original adopter has to be responsible for both making that happen and ensuring the longevity of the arrangement.

Which is to say that if for whatever reason the rabbit needs to be re-homed again, the original adopter has to have some responsibility.

But nobody should be forced to live in close quarters with a rabbit that hurts them. (Or they hate). However, I'd have no qualms with a rabbit that continues behaving like that to ultimately end up in a free-run rabbit sanctuary with little human contact.

If the human thing doesn't work out, that is.

sas :twocents

I really hope everything works out. That is the way Harriet is right now but she will on charge once or twice or maybe I leave her alone quick enough that she does not feel the need to charge again.

Not sure witch. Amy good luck with the new baby. Hope it works out for all party involved.

Good luck Sheriff

That's an interesting point made my Pipp- maybe a rabbit who doesn't like humans should be provided with a large, exciting, human-free environment.

After all, some rabbits may just not lose the "fear" of humans, as, of course, we are huge looming beings who are essentially "predators" in some rabbits' eyes.

So why force a rabbit who is clearly terrified, to spend time in human company? Perhaps they would much prefer company of other rabbits? Maybe something to think about?

Unless Amy has success with him, then in that case my theory isn't worth that much, and he obviously has a few problems, but ones that can be worked out with an owner he 'likes' or deems not a threat (for his own reasons that we aren't able to understand).

Jen

I think Sheriff just needs to try to be broken of the biting issues before his neuter, then after his neuter we can see where it gets us - because if it continues it might just turn into a bad habit. He's just a little guy right now, so I do think there is still hope!

I only offered to step up because I think he needs someone else who knows bunnies who can give it a try with him because going back to the breeder (a biting rabbit should not be bred, IMO) or to someone who doesn't know rabbits well enough is definitely not the best idea. If after the neuter things still aren't better, then Myia and I can decide what to do next.

I'm definitely getting a newer car about a month after I start working a grooming job (hopefully by June I'll be making decent money)...so after that happens I have no issue doing some traveling to get him to a new home - I do plan to go to Bunny Fest in San Diego this year, so maybe someone out that way will want to adopt him if he ends up being adoptable. If not, maybe there is a possibility he can go live at Best Friends in Utah to be a sanctuary bunny...I've always wanted to visit :).

How soon is the transfer going to take place? I'm asking because I'd really like Myia to try some Rescue Remedy on him before he goes. The rabbit can be a guinea pig!

http://www.rescueremedy.com/pdf/rescue-remedy-pet-brochure.pdf

I haven't supported that product in the past because there were some things I didn't like about the company, but they have since been resolved, and the more I look into it the better I like it. The stuff is completely safe.

Its supposed to help stressed out rabbits. I'm REALLY curious if it will help with this kind of aggression and best to test it out without changing anything else.

I'll buy you some!

sas :bunnydance:

Pipp wrote:
I don't believe that rabbits are like kids where you adopt them and you have to make a life-long commitment. Its more like entering into a marriage. You can decide you don't like each other and move on.
:yeahthat:
If a pet doesn't work for you or your family then it just doesn't work. If you can keep them that's wonderful, but sometimes giving them up is the better thing to do. In your case, I think that you are just too frightened of him. He may not have these aggressive tendencies with Amy, or he might. Neutering might help, but it might not. If another person returned one of the breeder's bunnies for aggression then that tells me that perhaps that breeder is doing something wrong or breeding for looks and not temperament. You gave it a fair shot. No one can blame you for not wanting to be continuously bitten or attacked.

after watching the video, it does seem to be completely hormone related. this is just in my opinion of course, but what I have found is that when rabbits do that tail lift thing while attacking something it is in the same context of getting ready to spray. "this is my space, be ware" kind of issue.

I have seen this in the past, when I bred.

I am also going to go into a few other things about this behavior (now that I have seen a video, it helps a lot) but I wanted to make sure that your okay with me mini-hijacking the thread? won't post any ideas, ect until you give me the okay.

I have worked with many aggressive rabbits, some I was able to tame down, other you simply can't

Posted at the same time never mind

Latest posts

Back