I am very sad to inform you that...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I think we all saw this coming weeks ago. I am with seniorcats - best to find good homes for all your guys and not own rabbits anymore. I think it's for the best and that will allow you to spend your time concentrating on school etc.

Nadia

I'm not going to comment on my opinions on your rehoming your rabbits, let alond my opinion of your parents allowing you to end up with 3 in the first place. Keep in mind I am only 17, and while I am the primary caretaker for my rabbits, they are first and foremost my mother's.

I will, however, comment on the bonding concept. It took me 3 months to completely bond my rabbits. 3 months later they had a huge fight in their cage that led to me separating them. It has been 5 more months now and they've been on and off bonded for shared playtime, but not to share a cage. They are both altered and nonetheless I've had trouble. I just wanted to add in with the possibility that bonding is alot of hard work and may never work.

missyscove wrote:
I will, however, comment on the bonding concept. It took me 3 months to completely bond my rabbits. 3 months later they had a huge fight in their cage that led to me separating them. It has been 5 more months now and they've been on and off bonded for shared playtime, but not to share a cage. They are both altered and nonetheless I've had trouble. I just wanted to add in with the possibility that bonding is alot of hard work and may never work.

Keep in mind that missycove's rabbits are ALTERED, as are most of our rabbits on the forum that are bonded.

Well, I don't know what to do anymore... But I'd just like to say, that eather way, (if I get rid of Simi and Sisi, or just Sisi, or all three) I will be done with this forum.

On all other forums, I dont post with problems, so I am considered a Mature young adult, here, because I am having issues and asking questions, so you all see me as a "Inmature" junior who knows nothing and shouldn't have rabbits.

As for picking Ash over Simi,none of you have met Simi in person, she ISNT friendly, and I have tried. She doesn't like to come out and play, and I have given her chances, and she just doesn't seem to like me.. But, Ash is all over me, loves me, wants to play with me, wants to cuddle. He likes coming out, and he likes for me to be around him.

Anyway, today will probably be my last day here... So, you won't end upknowing what happened to Simi Sisi, or Ash, because I know there is going to bo someone who doesn't like my decission, even though I am not sure what that decission is yet.

IT was nice talking to you all.

Shay

Not sure if you will come back but I wonder how old Ash is. I would have said the same about my Connor. He was sweet and all over me till puberty. Till he was fixed he didn't stop coming around to me again and no where near what he used to be.

He may be sweet now but will he in a few weeks?

ETA: I just checked you said Ash is 3-4mnths old. Teen years may start soon.

Shay, Im just going to say one thing here (since Ive stayed quite thus far).

It has nothing to do with your age, but my frustrations stem from the fact that its so much about what this bunny (whichever bunny you keep) can do for you. Its not about whats best for the bunny or what he/she wants, its what makes you feel good. I can tell you, almost all unneutered young males are so loving, cuddly and friendly. Yes, males tend to be more docile IMO, but especially unneutered.

I have a foster, Nigel, who was such a little lover when he was young (around 3-5 mo). Now, he's still sweet, but he nips me very hard when I pick him up. I just have to wonder if all of a sudden Ash starts something like this, will you still love and keep him?

I just hope that you can see that having a pet just isnt about you. Its about caring and loving for something unconditionally, regardless of how it treats you.

I wish you the best in your decision.

Ash is 4-5 months.

I'm not sure what I am going to do... I really do love all of my rabbits, and if you all could get over how horrible you think I am for doing this, then maybe you'd see how much this hurts ME. I love all of my rabbits, I really do, and me deciding to do this IS HARD!

I am sure that if any of you were in my shoes, and people we decussing inmature teens around you on your thread, you'd feel they were direction it to you!

I have always felt that on this forum, you had to have been here form the begining, be a resposnible breeder, or ask no questions at all to be looked at like you know what you're talking about.

I may be inmature in your eyes, but when it comes to dealing with the death of a best friend, or not being friends with your best friend of 14 years, you get looked at as mature.

I have a total of 12 animals that are MINE. And just so you can tell how mature I usualy am, heres how I got each of them:
Nonnie: A goat, I found in a SMALL rabbit cage, she couldn't even stand up in. She was too young to be away from mom, so I bought her, and paide 50 for her.... Brought her home, and fed her every 3 hours for the next 2-3 months.
Lo: A sheep I found running from each sheep in the pen trying to nurse, we brought her home, and I bottle fed her too, for longer than I did with Nonnie.
Jessie:*She was bred on our farm here, and is my riding mare*
Freckles: Horse that had a HUGE hernia and would have died where she was because the guy wasn't going to do anything for her, so we took her after a lot of me begging... Then we paid a VERY large ammount to take her to a vet 5 hours away, to have an operation that saved her life.
Jenny: I found her out in the barn, when she was just little, I sat out there with food for days trying to find hte mom, when I did, I brought them all inside...
Lex: Found her running around a petting zoo, nursing off of a dog because she was being picked on and couldn't find any other food - paied 40 for her.
Zoey, Sasha, and Dottie: *All dogs I grew attached too, but didn't "save"*
Sisi: got her from a place where she lived in a small wire bottom cage iwth no out time at all.
Simi: *Bought from breeder - scared she'd go to someone who knew nothing about rabbits*
Ash: *Bought from breeder*

So, as you can see, I'd like to say I am pretty mature. I did all of that, and still kept my grades in mid 80's. Even though I lost a LOT of weight from not eating because I was so stressed...

So, the next time any of you want to say I am inmature because I have to get rid of my babies, PLEASE Look at all of the other animals I have saved and still am caring for.

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
I do think that any parent should be prepared to take on the full responsibilty of caring for the animal if they are going to allow their child to get a pet in the first place. That's not to say a child can't, but the adults are as much to blame as the children.

And to be honest, I've seen many many adults give up pets.

I think this is one of the most important statements on here.

For anyone underage, a minor living at home - this could become a reality for them with the drop of a hat due to the parents decisions, no matter how "responsible" you are. A minor under parental care is a minor under parental care - period.

I'm not clear on here if Shay or her parents are the actual ones wanting to rehome the animals, but either way - IMO - if parents "allow"their childto have a pet, it is the parents responsibility even more than their kids.

Most responsible pet stores, breeders, rescues will not allow a child to go in and buy/adopt live animals without a parents consent, and I think thats where it all begins:

With the parents.

Shay

I really don't think you need to leave the forum...if you didn't want peoples opinions good or bad...you would not have posted about your decision in the first place. People are not trying to be mean or judge you they are trying to give you their opinion, to give you the experience they have, so you can make a fully informed decision.

Please don't leave the forum you can still get a lot of information and help, when you make your decision it is your decision not ours and hopefully I can speak for all of us when we say will will support you.

I have always found this forum different from others, it is not one that jumps all over you like the others!

Good luck

Shannon

I know you love your animals. We have talked about the rabbits and some of your other animals. I know you try and do your best for them all. I think something you are learning and something I have learned is you need to know your limits.

Everyone sometimes takes on a little to much because they want to do whats right. I am at my limits that I want to help more. Yes. Can I no.

I hope you stay. In the end as I have said to many others in my life. I may not do the same in your shoes but I will support you in anything you choose.

ThatsMySimi wrote:
I have always felt that on this forum, you had to have been here form the begining, be a resposnible breeder, or ask no questions at all to be looked at like you know what you're talking about.

This is absolutely not true. If you look at the mods, you'll see how many of us have joined recently and have gained a lot of respect in that short time. Ive only been a member for about a year and now Im an admin.

We understand how difficult this is for you, and you are being very responsible by trying your best to find them great homes. Just understand that by joining a forum like this and posing pics and stories, we become emotionally invested in you and your bunnies. I think everyone is just sad to see things arent working out and looking for a way to find a situation that is best for both you and your bunnies.

Haley wrote:
ThatsMySimi wrote:
This is absolutely not true. If you look at the mods, you'll see how many of us have joined recently and have gained a lot of respect in that short time. Ive only been a member for about a year and now Im an admin.
Very true. I have been here 1year and 4days.

Hi Shay,

I'm sorry you've come to a point where you need to make a decision about your buns.
You seem to have put a lot of thought into this.

And I think coming here to ask for advice and guidance is a sign of how mature you really are.

IMHO.....I think a lot of replies have confused the issue with the age/maturity comments.

And commitment is a big thing to a lot of members.
Commitment can be anywhere from "obligated" to "unconditional fanatic"

I'm not saying that you're not committed....just that you're feeling overwhelmed.

Been there!
At least once a week......mmmmaybe twice.
Ask my wife how many times I've made a comment on not being able to keep up with the bunnie-care.
I don't think I could ever make a choice on which ones would go and which ones would stay, though.

Think on it for a bit.
Try to look at the more constructive posts.....like TinysMom(Peg), and set the rest aside.

Keeping you in our thoughts.

~Jim

JimD wrote:
I'm not saying that you're not committed....just that you're feeling overwhelmed.

Been there!
At least once a week......mmmmaybe twice.
Ask my wife how many times I've made a comment on not being able to keep up with the bunnie-care.
I don't think I could ever make a choice on which ones would go and which ones would stay, though.

This says it all. My husband and I talk about this all the time. We never ment to have so many. It just sort of happened. I have 12 animals. I feel like something always have to be done. Dog or bunnies groomed. Cages, pens and tanks cleaned. Dog bathed. Everyone fed, watered, etc.

I could never choose. Each one is part of me one way or another. I know it is a hard choice you have to make.

Shay,

First of all, I think it is a natural thing to want to "run away" or leave a forum when you're hurt or you feel judged. As an adult, I find myself wanting to do the same thing sometimes. But then I stop myself because I've learned over the years - that listening to criticism and learning from it - (and there is always at least a nugget of truth in it) - makes me stronger....and a better person.

Saying, "None of you will know my decision because I'm leaving..." only reinforces the image that some people have of you....its like saying, "I'm going to take my marbles and leave and not play with you 'cause I can't play my way..".

If you want to go to other forums - fine. I've been to a few forums and this is the friendliest one I've seen (hands-down). It amazes me that we are breeder-friendly and rescue-friendly at the same time. However, I recognize that it may not be for everyone.

Let me share with you a bit of why the forum members are upset or concerned.

Let's see - first you get Simi and we all rejoice with you. Then you get Sisi...and while we may have had hesitations about getting a second bun so soon...you did it anyway. Our concern was both for you and the buns. Then you get Ash. Somewhere in there you talk about breeding Sisi - and then - a short time later you talk about getting a ferret and then you talk about getting rid of Sisi and then....its like things keep changing. No wonder you struggle with your emotions (and I say this nicely) because I struggled with mine just watching from the outside.

We've had members on this board before - (usually younger members but it can be adults also) that collect bunnies like dolls - only when they get tired of them - they "trade" them for a newer improved model - which then they turn around and rehome a couple of months later when the newness wears off. Oftentimes they decide to just rehome all of their rabbits and leave this board in a huff.

The problem is - frequently this type of problem comes from our younger members....and sometimes it is easy to see something that appears to fit this pattern and go, 'Yep...that's a younger member for you".

My point? When you ask opinions on here - you're going to find people who have experienced others and may seem judgmental towards you. At times - I would have been very judgmental - and I can still come across that way.

But many of us - as much as we care about you and your bunnies - feel like we've been on a roller coaster ride with you over the last few months with your bunnies. We've experienced many of the same emotions as you as we've tried to share with you our thoughts and our input - especially since you asked for it.

I'm sorry that when you asked for our input you didn't like what you heard. And whether you stay or go - I wish you - and your rabbits well.

Peg

Oh Shay, please don't leave the forum. :(

Anyone can get overwhelmed by their pets, I'm sure you are not alone on here. I don't think you are immature, and it's unfair of others to say you are - you've simply taken on too much. :hug:

Nobody knows exactly what is going on with other people over the Internet, remember you only know what people choose to tell you - I bet most people on here have gone through difficulties with their rabbits when they weren't sure they could cope.

Only you can know what is the right decision for you and your rabbits, please keep us updated on what you decide.

Big bad rabbits wrote:
I do not know how old you are butI think the law should be changed and minors should not be allowedto keep animals like rabbits as they do not know what they are getting themselves into and the consequences of their actions.

Ultimately, this is the responsibility of the parents.

ShayLee, I commend you for coming forth and wanting to do the right thing and get down to only as many animals as you can easily manage.

Sometimes we want more than we can actually handle, and you've now learned from experience what you can and can't manage.

Take this experience and use it to make future decisions. This is how character is built and you are off to a good start by being able to admit to others that you have made a mistake and want to fix it.

Life isn't always easy and sometimes we don't always make the right decisions (me included).

Pam

Thank everyone... I just want everyone to know that it is NOT like I am going "Oh, I am sick of my rabbits - I'll get rid of them now", its more like "I have too many, and I really don't NEED all of them, I can't care for them, and I dont feel right keeping them anymore"...

Thanks.

I think the biggest problem people have right now ThatsMySimi is that we warned and advised you not to get more or to wait and make sure you were ready. We tried to talk you out of it at times and now you see why we tried so hard.No, I'm not saying "I told you so" because I don't think that's right, but I do hope that you learn from this. We all realise the time and effort rabbits take, and we were just trying to help you.

I realise not everyone has the patience for a rabbit that wants nothing to do with you. But I do hope that if you keep Ash and his personality does change for the worse, that you will take the time and effort to work with him and not get discouraged enough to rehome him.

Latest posts

Back