I am very sad to inform you that...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know enough about the situation, other then everything I've read in the thread the past few days or so. But I just wanted to say that I hope everything works out for the best, for everyone.

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
I think the biggest problem people have right now ThatsMySimi is that we warned and advised you not to get more or to wait and make sure you were ready. We tried to talk you out of it at times and now you see why we tried so hard.No, I'm not saying "I told you so" because I don't think that's right, but I do hope that you learn from this. We all realise the time and effort rabbits take, and we were just trying to help you.

People learn far better from personal experience than from being verbally instructed.

Our best lessons in life are learned through the mistakes we make . . .

Tell me, and I forget;

show me, and I remember;

let me do and I understand.

Chinese Proverb

pamnock wrote:
Our best lessons in life are learned through the mistakes we make . . .

Tell me, and I forget;

show me, and I remember;

let me do and I understand.

Chinese Proverb
Amen!

I am very sad to hear this, and just wanted to add something from my own experience with a hormonal female rabbit:

I got Flopsy in March and was lucky enough to bond her easily with my neutered male Moon. Flopsy has never been particularly friendly or wanting to be stroked even, but her quirky character makes her a huge part of my heart. If I'm honest, even though she is the least friendly - she is probably the rabbit that I secretly love most (I like a challenge!)

I have 4 rabbits - Moon took a year and being neutered,then very ill before he started to come around to love me back. It took a long year, during which I wondered if giving him up would be easier, but I didn't want to give up on him, and it paid off.

Flopsy is coming around very slowly but even with her messy ways, her greedy gob causing messy floors and her constant escape to chew my cables up (which are unplugged when I'm not there for safety) - I absolutely adore her and I know that every month of giving her unconditional love makes her trust me that little bit more. I have a feeling FLopsy will be a real cuddlebun in a few years and I am happy to wait.

My other two are both lovely - but Gizmo, like Ash is still a very young unneutered male. He loves to lick me, but he is starting to nip now if he doesn't get his own way. I know he will change, and I will accept him as he is always, because I choose him to live with me, rather than let someone else take him home.

Have I had days where I thought I can't cope? Every day when I get home from work to Flopsy's newest mess I feel overwhelmed, but once I get it cleaned up, let them out for a bit and she makes me laugh - there is no chance in hell I would say goodbye to life with the buns.

I can see you are hurting and confused, and perhaps it is best for you to find good homes for your bunnies, but I think you will find Ash changes in the next few months and you might realise that the fault is hormonal, rather than with the individual bunnies so if you are rehoming your 1st bunny to keep the "sweeter" bunny - you are in for a shock. Sisi will come around in her own time, as would Simi. Rabbits are rabbits and we have to love them as they are.

I wish you luck, and your buns too. :)

"I have always felt that on this forum, you had to have been here form the begining, be a resposnible breeder, or ask no questions at all to be looked at like you know what you're talking about."

That is very wrong of you to say. I have only been here for a few months and I can tell you that all this group is about is educating and everyone here is just so passionate about bunnies.

The reason members here are allowed to feel so angry is because they have been there for you and educated you about how much care bunnies are etc etc. You're not just someone off the street who didn't know what you were getting into or what it would involve.

It irk'd me so much when you got Ash. Just prior to getting him, you were talking about rehoming Sisi because it wasn't going how you wanted. Instead of focusing your energy on her and trying to bond with her, you just gave up on her and found one that was cuter, and more loveable. You said it yourself that that is why you are keeping Ash.

But then, I think what really set me off was you wanting that ferret so badly. You always change your story to how it suits you best. And I hate that, because it is the animals that suffer. It bugged me that you kept saying "I have no time, no money, and I'm too stressed" but yet you were more than willing to get a brand new animal, that would require housing, and equipment that you didn't have to begin with. That is aside from vet bills you would end up with for your ferret AND this animal posed a threat to your bunnies. :shock:

It bugs us more because we got to know you more and saw more into it than you were saying. Many of us expected this, and it is sad to see it happening amongst our own members.

Remember what we say "You get as much as you put in." You gave up on Sisi too soon. You gave up on her when she wasn't returning the affection. And yet, you knew this was possible, and we told you how to work through it. All it required was some time, patience, and love. But instead, you solved the problem by getting another bunny, one that would act the way you wanted... For now. I wonder, when he gets in his teens and starts running away from you to explore, if you won't ditch him as well. Some people are right for bunnies, but not everyone is. You might just be one of those that aren't.

As for your maturity, if you really had been, you would have come to the forum, explained it to us and then said "I made a mistake. I took on more than I could handle and hadn't expected it to be this hard. Please don't be too hard on me, this is hard enough as it is. You guyshave everyright to be angry, and I have learned my lesson. Now I need to make it right somehow and therefore I need to find them the kind of home I should have given them." You wouldn't come in and said "oh don't bash me please, I'm boo-hooing so it makes it ok". Because that is what it sounds like. You keep saying how much it hurts you. You never said how much it hurts you to have caused THEM pain.

I'm sure you don't want to hear it. That's another part of growing up. When you ask for advice, you need to listen and be prepared to hear things you don't want to hear. True friends will be honest and will not say things just to make you happy.

This should be a valuable lesson to you in many aspects of your life.

Now to say that you want to leave... That is your choice. Sure, I would be humiliated a h*** but yet I am quite sure that no other forum comes close to this one in terms of friendliness and help. What matters to us most is the bunny, and I am pretty sure that everyone can look past this mistake and help you out with future problems with Ash. However, you will need to make things right and take responsibility for what is happening. There is nothing wrong with that if you learn from this.

I know for myself, that if you truly learn from this and really understand where you went wrong and can own up to it, I would be more than willing to help you out in the future with Ash and any other bunny youmight keep:)

Well said Ms Binky.

Shay, were all here for you. I think this is just hard for all of us to soak in. Whatever you decide, whether I agree with it or not, I want you to stay, and know that ill be here to give you advice.

I think people need to realize its never going to work out unless YOU make the commitment, and you've stated that your not ready to. Which is fine.

To every one else, I think we need to focus our energy into finding great homes for these beautiful bunnies.

Its a decision Shay needs to make, and other than saying what we've already said, I dont think there is much we can do. Right now I think we need to be strong for the bunnies who are involved in this situation.

Shay, before you decide if you are going to leave the forum, I think you should think about the bunnies. Do you think you have a better chance of rehoming them without the help of the forum? I dont think so.

:hug2:

Guys, just remember that maybe Shay made mistakes but they are in the past now, she can't go back and fix them, she can only move forward and do what is best for her and her rabbits. I wont comment on the issue at hand here as I don't know the full story so I don't feel it is right to butt my nose in;), however Shay I wish you the best in making the right decision for what is best for your rabbits.

This whole morning I have been trying to stay focused on chores I need to do but I just can't get this out of my mind. I HAD to come back and add my thoughts again.
Shay, I know it seems that everyone is ganging up on you, but it actually shows how much everyone here cares for you and not just your bunnies. Care comes in different forms. If we didn't care, we would be indifferent and just ignore it altogether.
I would like to back track and add something to my previous post ( age/maturity/wisdom, etc) I Do agree that the actual age is not important, that it is the maturity level of a person. I have 3 children... my 20 yr old is very mature and responsible with money and working. Everything else though is a struggle for him to be responsible with. I would cringe if he got a pet at this point in his life.
My 16 yr old is very responsible about education and most general things in life except work and money. I would be iffy about her getting a pet... she would be responsible to a point but she has college plans, is in school and working ( friends etc) and she is very emotional. She would be going through ALOT of the emotional pain you are now. So the mature desicion for her would be to wait on any pets, no matter how much she wants them ( she attaches to pets deeply).
My 13 yr old is very responsible towards pets. She would sacrifice much to make sure a pet was taken care of. She would put that pet first above anything else. I would trust her completely with having a pet. However, at 13, she will be growing up and moving on with her life and her plans may not include taking a pet with her ( for whatever reason) So it would be mine and her dad's responsibility to either say no or plan to take care of the pet when she no longer can.
I also have my mother who is 66 and makes crazy irresponsible decisions towards pets. She impulsively buys them, knowing she cant really take care of them and it catches up with her and she gets rid of them. Only to re buy something else when she gets the itch again. I am not saying this is how you are. My point here is, that no, the actual physical age of someone doesn't matter. So, if I offended anyone in my earlier post, I apologize.
I feel for you. I care what happens to you and your pets, all of them. I'm sure I speak for everyone here on that.
You have been brave and posted your emotions and thoughts here for us all to share. That takes courage. You have been told things that have hurt you. It will take courage to accept these things and keep going and learn from them, not faulting the other person for caring enough to offer their opinions. Actions always have consequences. Some good , some bad. Find that courage and strength within yourself to face these consequences and do what is best for you.
We can give you all kinds of advice and opinions, but as someone mentioned earlier, we are not walking in your shoes. We are not living your life, so therefore, we cannot completely know what is best for you. However, many here are experienced enough to make a judgement call on what is best for your rabbits. Listen to those.
Sorry this was so long, I have more I could add, but others have said what I wanted to say much better so I will leave it at this.
I hope that you can work through this in a constructive healthy way and I do wish you the best.

~Sealy
*edited for bad typing*

Okay, I will tell you all this now... I didn't want to but I will...

I am a VERY impulsive person. I saw Simi, and thought about it for a WEEK, I herd about Sisi, and had her less than a week later. I had a chance to go get a holland lop, and by the weekend, I had one. I said I wanted a Ferret, because if I could, I'd have ALL ANIMALS. I know I can't care for them - but that doesn't stop me from wanting them. And, when I want one, sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't. Rabbits were something I got. I know its not right to the animals, but I did it, and it was a mistake, and now by re-homing Simi and Sisi, I think I am making it right for them. I have learned from this, I really have.

Please, I know what I am doing isn't right in some eyes, but, it's what I feel is best. I have e-mailed a lady who has a rabbit, and asked if she has any rabbit savvy friends, or if she'd like Sisi. I am still debating if I'd like to have Simi stay or not. I am not sure which is better... And I will talk to my parents about spaying her beforeI have Ash neutered. Or I may keep just Ash....I really don't know. But I do know, one of them needs to go, for thiersakes and for mine.

First of all I have to say, sorry I missd this!! Jezz I'm behind!!!

I think your making the right decision. It's okay. I'm really glad that you can come forward and say these things. It shows how mature you are. And to say that anyone thinks your acting immauter would be a HUGE understatement. You have made mistakes in the past, but that's wh pencile's have erasers. People won't think anyless of you for making the right choice. Although saying that your not going to post on this forum agian because you don't want to have people think of you as an immature person, is a little immature. No matter what you say there is always some who disagrees. You can't run away. You have to bite the bullet and walk down the road.

Now about which one you should keep...

ASH, ASH, ASH, ASH!!!! And if you can Simi.

Hugs,

-TK :hug1

Ummm....

Did I sound snapish? If I did i'm sorry. I just don't think that you should leave the froum. You have lots of freinds here who'll miss you, and all your helpwithbunny problems, to house hold dramas!!

ThatsMySimi wrote:

I am a VERY impulsive person. I saw Simi, and thought about it for a WEEK, I herd about Sisi, and had her less than a week later. I had a chance to go get a holland lop, and by the weekend, I had one. I said I wanted a Ferret, because if I could, I'd have ALL ANIMALS. I know I can't care for them - but that doesn't stop me from wanting them. And, when I want one, sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't. Rabbits were something I got. I know its not right to the animals, but I did it, and it was a mistake, and now by re-homing Simi and Sisi, I think I am making it right for them. I have learned from this, I really have.

Please, I know what I am doing isn't right in some eyes, but, it's what I feel is best. I have e-mailed a lady who has a rabbit, and asked if she has any rabbit savvy friends, or if she'd like Sisi. I am still debating if I'd like to have Simi stay or not. I am not sure which is better... And I will talk to my parents about spaying her beforeI have Ash neutered. Or I may keep just Ash....I really don't know. But I do know, one of them needs to go, for thiersakes and for mine.

Ah well see, I have a ton of respect for you now that you have said that ;)So how about you stick around and let us help you find them a good home? I am happy that you were honest and said. It shows that you have indeed learned from this and are being mature about it now. I understand the implusiveness and (no offence) but I was really frustrated with your parents. I really hope that members from here can adopt them. I really would have taken them myself if I could have!

Big hugs, and stay strong :)

That's really great Shay. I don't want to sound condescending, but I am so proud of you for admitting that you made a mistake like an adult. That was more adult than most of the adults I know. Now we need to figure out how to fix it.

Good job.

T.

ThatsMySimi wrote:

I dont think you should leave. With your insight, knowledge and experience, you have so much to offer others, new members and people in situations such as your own.

What makes a forum whole is the members and what they have to offer - from all aspects of rabbit care and ownership.

MsBinky wrote:
Ah well see, I have a ton of respect for you now that you have said that ;)So how about you stick around and let us help you find them a good home? I am happy that you were honest and said. It shows that you have indeed learned from this and are being mature about it now.

:yeahthat:

Now, why dont you reconsider leaving and instead sit down and think about your options and what will be best for you and the bunnies. Then let us at least try to help you rehome whoever it is you need to rehome.

I think it really is wonderful as well, that you admited what you admited. That took a lot of guts.

I too, can admit that I am a very impulsive person when it comes to animals and their supplies. Did I NEED Madilyn? Of course not....my boys were happily bonded. Did I NEED Marlin? Nope, but I added him to my family anyway. Did I NEED to rescue Zaire and foster her? Nope, but she found a wonderful home.

Just a little while ago I got an email from someone in my town asking me if I could take in their "dwarf" rabbit because they can't care for it anymore. Um..WOAH...step back....uhh....am I the new "Prescott Bunny Lady?", lol. They are trying to rehome the rabbit for $5. Again, step back....$5....that means SNAKE FOOD in this town. Even worse, the rabbit is a Harlequin and looks like Mallory and Morgan. This is a tough decision....this is a rabbit that could go to a bad home or end up as snake food and the chance to save it is laying right in front of me. Hrm, could I take the rabbit in? Yes, I could until my other bunnies come home in October/November.

Hrm, spare bedroom because the brother in law is off to college...just got a raise at work....I could definitely foster the rabbit for a while, but I need to plan out my money and think of my other animals first.

Decisions are hard. I struggle badly with impulsive things. Am I struggling right now? I sure am. I too, feel for you.

I would like you to know that I, and everyone else, will put our efforts into helping you rehome the girls. We will also stand by your side in the future and help you out with any questions that you may have with Ash.

I am not going to comment on this but I just wanted to say that here at least minor can buy pets yes but as far as ownership they technicaly belong to the parent and any problems they get into (like charges being layed) go to the parent. Also phinismom wow you are 12 I thought you were an adult!!!!!!!! I am 16 btw. I got my first bun Chloe when I was 13.

monklover wrote:
Big bad rabbits wrote:
I do not know how old you are butI think the law should be changed and minors should not be allowedto keep animals like rabbits as they do not know what they are getting themselves into and the consequences of their actions.

I may seem hard on you now but as you mature you will more than likely come around to my way of thinking.

I will no doubt get aslating for this but "rabbits get a rawdeal"

It is unfair that you find yourself in this predicament at such a young age.

You are there gaurdian of these buns but ultimately it is out of your control!!
I don't fully agree with this. For some people, who's rabbit's just sit in hutches all day, then yes this could apply. But Silvie, Hannah (my sister) and I are all 12 years old. We put our rabbits first. To tell you the truth, I would much rather be with rabbits than people. :biggrin2: I think about Buddy and Roxie 24/7 and I KNOW that Silvie does too! Hope that helps.

~Megan
I agree. Not all "minors" dont care. I also think that Shay if you feel it is the right decision in this time in your life , ive got your back :hugsquish:

P.S. My PM box is always open

Love, Hannah

im not a minor now but when i first started i was 12. i researched everything i could on the animals before i got them to make sure i knew what i was doing and theyd have a good home. it also doesnt always depend on maturity. it depends on what your priorities are.

my priority has always been animals whether they were mine or not. thats why i researched my butt off and worked at a petstore to inform others about animal care and how much it costs and what it takes to be a good pet owner. i tried everythign i could to prevent ppl from impulse buying and giving things up to the shelter because they were bored. i also worked so that i could afford the best for my pets. it was always the pets. AND i also trained the managers there when i was 15 because they didnt know anything when it came to animals.

so dont go around judging because someone asks for some advice when they are younger than most on the forum. again its about your priority. and right now thatsmysimi's priority is herself and her well being and the wellbeing of her bunnies. if she feels that the best for her pets is to have a different home so they can be happy and well cared for then thats her decision and we should all support her. mistakes are made and learned from.

its no different than from someone who goes out and gets pregnant and gives it up for adoption. the mistake was having *** and the person is fixing it by giving the child a proper home.

look at the situation not the persons past.

Thanks everyone who stood up for me... I know you all may think I am just posting about me here, and I have to say, I am posting about me, but not ALL me... Its about me AND my rabbits... I feel bad for the way they are kept, so to me re-homing them, and giving them a place to be loved (NOT that I don't love them, just a place to be loved MORE) and get what they deserve.

I will miss my babies, but I still think re-homing them is a better idea....

Latest posts

Back