I am very sad to inform you that...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rusty wrote:
its no different than from someone who goes out and gets pregnant and gives it up for adoption. the mistake was having *** and the person is fixing it by giving the child a proper home.

look at the situation not the persons past.

Hmmm. Well see, thing is, if one goes out, has sex , gets pregnant, gives the baby up for adoption, then continues to go out and have unprotected sex, impulsively getting pregnant again and again and doesn;t learn from it, then there's a problem. While you are pregnant and with said first baby, you don't talk about wanting to go out and have sex and get pregnant again and again , knowing you just can't take care of all of these kids. Oh, oops, I've had 10 kids now and I just cant take care of them, I'll just adopt them out.
I suppose this does happen, but it is the exception, not the rule. So, no, it's not quite like getting pregnant and giving a baby up for adoption.

Ok well this is alittle out there. :pShe made a mistake she herself said so. The rest should be let go and lets help her find new home(s) for her girl(s). She did not intend for this to happen. So let's move on to the next step in all of this and leave the rest behind.

Ok, sorry but I'm new here so I don't know the whole story so couldn't give you anything but support. I would love to take in Sisi for you if I lived closer and/or I had a mode of transportation to get to you.

Okay, I know this is going to get you all worked up again, but I have talk to mom - yet again - and told her how I really dont want to get rid of Simi, but I'd like to have her spayed and have him neutered and bond them next summer - and she has agreed...

We are going to look for vets here first that may do the spay, and if I can not find one, we will pay to take her acrossed the border to Houlton to have her spayed... And then we will have Ash neutered... Even if I couldn't bond them Simi and Ash would get to each havea bigger cage with one gone... I love Sisi, and will be sure to find her a good home...

I know I shouldn't be - but I am happy to be able to keep Simi and Ash.

I know bonding will take time - I understand. I know I have a limited amount of time, but I will wait until next summer to start bonding - until then I will figure out a way to make time for each Simi, and Ash. I am sad I have to get rid of Sisi, but I really DO NOT have the time to bond a Trio, as I have herd that take much more time and effort....

Please, if you're going to bash, do it now and get it over with because I'd liek to stick around here and post more pictures of my bbise and keep you updated on how the spay and neutering go, and then next summer how the bonding goes....

Thanks for all the replies, and they all did help in someway.

Shay

I'm not going to bash. Your doing the right thing. And everyone here should be proud of you. I'm glad your keeping Simi though, she's such a cutie!! But getting the both fixed will mellow them out. They'll get calmer and they won't spray.

I'm glad your thinking about staying. If you leave will miss you. :)

I really think that you made the right desicion. If we work together on this forum, we might be able to find someone who could take her in and give her a great home for the rest of her life. :)

Thanks everyone... I am in no hurry to re-home her... but I have sent an e-mail out... :( I don't really want to get rid of her - but its what I think is the right thing to do.

Sealy wrote:
Rusty wrote:
its no different than from someone who goes out and gets pregnant and gives it up for adoption. the mistake was having *** and the person is fixing it by giving the child a proper home.

Hmmm. Well see, thing is, if one goes out, has sex , gets pregnant, gives the baby up for adoption, then continues to go out and have unprotected sex, impulsively getting pregnant again and again and doesn;t learn from it, then there's a problem. While you are pregnant and with said first baby, you don't talk about wanting to go out and have sex and get pregnant again and again , knowing you just can't take care of all of these kids. Oh, oops, I've had 10 kids now and I just cant take care of them, I'll just adopt them out.
I suppose this does happen, but it is the exception, not the rule. So, no, it's not quite like getting pregnant and giving a baby up for adoption.

actually i said it was an example not a rule. and you missed the entire point of my comment but that's ok

im glad youre taking simi too. let's hope it all works out for you and we're all proud of you for thinking about it instead of just making a spurr of the moment decision. a hard decision at that. i wish you all the best.

I would hate to see you leave the forum. We hadsomeone get upseta while back with MyBoyHarper. I still wonder about those bunnies....

I think that you should give your girls some more time to warm up to you. I thought my bunny didn't like me for the longest time. Now I can't keep her off of me, she will groom me for HOURS if I let her.

I can respect that you realize that you have taken on more than you can handle. It IS your life, and you have to do what you think is best for you.

And that's all I'll say.

~Star~

I dont want to bash, but i am really quite annoyed that you are speaking about Sisi as 'getting rid of her'. Poor Sisi hasnt dont anything wrong and to be honest, i think its appalling you are choosing Ash over her when Ash was the one you bought on instinct.

You know you shouldnt have got a 2nd bunny - and its good that you admit this but Sisi does not deserve this. I just hope she goes to a home where someone truly loves her, and will put her needs first.

I do hope you stay on the forum Shay - i'm sorry if my post is quite harsh but you can appreciate how frustrated and annoyed people are with you when you treat pets like accessories that you want to 'get rid of'.

Please, please concentrate now on Simi and Ash, and make sure they are neutered / spayed. And dont even contemplate getting any more bunnies just for your selfish reasons.

Take care and keep us updated with whats happening to little Sisi

Sarah and the buns xx

marach8000 wrote:
I dont want to bash, but i am really quite annoyed that you are speaking about Sisi as 'getting rid of her'. Poor Sisi hasnt dont anything wrong and to be honest, i think its appalling you are choosing Ash over her when Ash was the one you bought on instinct.

You know you shouldnt have got a 2nd bunny - and its good that you admit this but Sisi does not deserve this. I just hope she goes to a home where someone truly loves her, and will put her needs first.

I do hope you stay on the forum Shay - i'm sorry if my post is quite harsh but you can appreciate how frustrated and annoyed people are with you when you treat pets like accessories that you want to 'get rid of'.

Please, please concentrate now on Simi and Ash, and make sure they are neutered / spayed. And dont even contemplate getting any more bunnies just for your selfish reasons.

Take care and keep us updated with whats happening to little Sisi

Sarah and the buns xx
i dont think shay is going to get any more bunnies..i think she feels bad enough at this point too....

shay, i'm as impulsive as you. when i got nemo, i had decided the night before that i wanted a bunny. i checked on craigslist and lo and behold was nemo for free. 2 days later, i picked him up, and didn't know WHAT to do with him. thank goodness for amy (undergunfire) who answered my questions on craigslist with a link to this forum. nemo now lives a great life of bunny luxury, is litter box trained, eats all the hay in the world, is neutered, and is very very loved :)

but i took a risk just as you did by adopting so quickly. i just got very lucky with nemo's temperment and my ability to care for him. it takes a big person to admit that they were probably in the wrong, especially when it comes to another animals life. rehoming these buns would be best, and i think you've learned a valuable lesson here. i hope everything works out for you, simi, sisi, and ash.

but please don't leave the forum! you aren't the first person this has happened to, and you certainly wont be the last. we all make mistakes. stick around, and let these members help you with ash! i'd be lost without all their advice, and i think you'd do good from it too :):):):)

Shay,

I think it was from one of your posts on another thread, but I remember your saying that your sister would keep one of the bunnies in her room, right? I hope she'll help you house Sisi until you can find the right home for her. Oh, how I wish I could give her a home here...but it wouldn't work for a variety of reasons.

Anyway, just thought I'd bring that up because it sounded like a good plan for now and will buy you enough time to make certain that Sisi is getting a forever home.

I wish you well!

-Mary Ellen

Sealy wrote:
Rusty wrote:

...that's why we have birth control pills and lovely establishments like Planned Parenthood to provide those services!

But back to the point.

I've seen much worse things than someone impulsively getting a rabbit, and then rehoming the rabbit in a responsible manner. She could be setting them loose, or culling them herself, or putting them in a kennel with a hunting dog for the dog to rip apart, or an infinite number of other worse things. I sometimes think that people tend to forget that it can always be a lot worse.

Shay, you are acting responsibly. You made a mistake, and that mistake unfortunately involved rabbits. You took on more reponsibility than you should have. But you are being responsible in how you rehome them, you're being a good pet owner. You're not the first and you're far from the worst.

It's your decision to keep whichever rabbits you do, so go ahead and keep whichever ones you feel the best keeping.

I'll tell you a story: after we put my rabbit Merry down, I got another rabbit that same day named Bunnicula. The problem was that Erik apparently didn't like Bunnicula. After quite a while of attempting to at least getting them to tolerate each other, it became obvious that Bicckie was miserable with Erik around and all Erik wanted to do was mark territory and bite everyone.

So I had to rehome Bicckie. I felt horrible and sad about doing it, but you have to do what you have to do. And now Bicckie is in a great home. You're doing your best to make sure that your rabbit winds up in a good home.

Perhaps there was a bit of impulsiveness on your part, and you should have never gotten Ash. Well, worrying about that is pointless, because guess what? You have him now and you can't go back on that. So you're doing your best.

Don't let anyone put you on a guilt trip. It isn't worth it. People attempt to put me on guilt trips all the time because I won't get them free services. It's their problem, not yours. Just do your best to rehome them, and you'll have done a good job.

Okay, sorry I haven't posted in a while, but I have been on an emotional rollercoaster for sometime now...

At the moment, I still have all three rabbits. Sisi is in the processs of being rehomed, and I am still debating on weather to keep Simi or not.

It is possible that I can keep Simi, and Ash both, so unless I find the perfect home for Simi, she will probably stay.

A lady I know who owns a rex, is looking into finding a home for Sisi, or figuring out a way to be able to take Sisi for herself. At the moment, Sisi is in a dog crate, Simi is in a pretty small cage, and Ash is in a decent sized cage... All of them are in my room.

I start school tomorrow, so if it gets to stressful to have 2 rabbits, Simi will have to be rehomed mostly because I can not have her spayed without going acrossed the border, and to do that I need a vet check.

I will let you know where Sisi ends up, and if I have to rehome Simi.

I still think you should rehome at least 2 of them. But I would like to mention that you do not need a vet check to cross the Canada/USborder with rabbits. Rabbits are one of the few that don't need it. I did plenty of research on it because I was hoping to take a vacation and take my bunnies with me. Also, it's very common for people to bring their rabbits to shows across the border and they don't have vet checks. So if that is the only reason you wont spay her, that isn't a problem.

Hey ThatsmySimi,

I haven't been here from the beginning, but I've just come across this thread and read through it.
I think it's great you are thinking of your buns and wanting to get them really good, loving homes- it is clear you love them very much and want what's best for them.

Can I also just say- I know this has already been discussed lol and i'm bringing it back up- but I agree and disagree with younger people not being allowed pets becuase they can't look after them. I have had my two rabbits since I was 15 (I'm about to turn 17) and they have been the main point of my entire life. I can't believe how much I love them and I know I give them the best home possible. I devote so much of my time and money to them and, even though I'm broke most of the time as a result lol and I have to get up early in the mornings etc. I love it and wouldn't have it any other way. It makes me so happy seeing them happy. But I think people of my age who are like me seem a bit of a rarity. I know lots of people my age who couldn't possibly handle the responsibility of animals properly. But I guess you don't know which younger person would look after their new pet like I and, I think, everyone on this forum does, when they go to buy it. I don't think people should make snap judgements about younger people not being able to look after pets properly and shouldn't be allowed, although lots of people shouldn't be able to own pets- even in their whole life.

Thatsmysimi, I see you have said about having 12 animals and look after them all, so you know what its like. I'm just thinking, why on earth, if you look after all these animals and know how much money and time they take up, did you get two more, and two more who need so much attention and care, and then even consider getting some more like ferrets. It's just a little strange how someone who has looked after so many animals at once and knows about how much time they take up etc. would get more and then seem surprised and shocked that they didn't have enough time for them, and now need to give them away. It can't be good for the buns.

I know you're in the middle of your adoption process for Sisi, but is there no way you can reconsider any of this and wait a while- you seem to have made quite snap decisions- you could change your mind again and then get more, when you would have given away members of your family.

I personally could never give away any of my animals (well...I would never get them when I knew there was no way I couldn't look after them) but it would be physically impossible for me to give away my first ever bun, Benji. I don't know how you could.

I wish you the best of luck with everything that's going on and just hope it gets sorted out, and you learn from this. I'm one of those people who, if I want something I want it now lol, and I really have to restrain myself when I see adorable rabbits in pet shops etc. which is something I think you've got to learn to do.
Good luck and well done for everything you've done for them- it's clear you only want the best for them.

I find that it has a lot less to do with age than it does with parents.

Seriously...there are worse things than properly rehoming your rabbit, even if it were a rabbit bought on an impulse decision. The stories I could tell...

Honestly the girl has obviously thought this through, and I really don't think that critisizing her any more is going to do anything for her or her rabbits.

Time to leave this alone. She knows what she is going to do and will inform us. She admited fault and is finding a solution to it that is all we can ask.

So go hug a bunny or two. :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back