I am very sad to inform you that...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read this thread last night and closed my browser and walked away. I wasn't sure what to say and if it would come across as attacking you....which I didn't want to do.

I want to say first of all that I can tell you've put a lot of thought into this. I can also tell that you are hurting about this decision. However...here are my thoughts...even though you did not ask me for them.

If you're going to get rid of any rabbits - I would get rid of BOTH females....including Simi. Please hear me out when I say this though....

a. Females are more tempermental than bucks. It is just a fact of life - because of their hormones and stuff - they are more likely to become cage aggressive and cage protective. I almost always recommend bucks over does as pets.

b. Bonding is not always easy or fun. It can be emotionally tiring on a person - especially if the rabbits do not get along. What if Simi doesn't care for Ash- or vice versa. Then you've set yourself up for another emotional tug of war. Bonding also involves TIME on your part - something you're saying you don't have.

c. I think that keeping that two rabbits sets you up again for this emotional up/down dilemna of "I don't have time for two" or "I can't get them to bond" or "I want more time for myself" or whatever. Its going to be more work and effort to keep two and I think somewhere down the road you're going to find yourself saying, "I need to rehome XXXX" and then you go through all of these emotions one more time.

d. Females have a greater chance of getting cancer if you don't get them spayed and so either you're going to have to "try" to get Simi spayed in the future or take her to the vet when she gets ill. Either way - it depends upon you being able to work things out with your parents and having the money to get it done. You have a vet that will neuter your buck....so stick with him and get him neutered and only have the vet expenses of one bunny. (By the way, use your money to set up an emergency kit if you don't already have it in case your bunny gets sick since you don't seem to have a lot of rabbit-savvy vets up there). Like you'll want to have simethicone and canned pumpkin for sure....in case of stasis. Maybe some sort of pedialyte (you can get it in a powder form now here in the states).

Am I disappointed to see you doing this? Yes. Did I see it coming? Yep...for quite a while.

But I can tell in your posts that this is tearing you up....and I think it is best to rehome the two and move on and just have one rabbit and tell yourself in the future that you will ONLY have one rabbit until you are at least through school.

As far as rehoming your rabbits goes - I would find a rabbit show and take them to it if possible - you know you will find rabbit people there who love bunnies and know how to take care of them.

Here is a show you might want to consider (from the ARBA website):

Location :LINNEUS,ME Start Date:9/15/2007 End Date:9/15/2007 Club:AROOSTOOK COUNTY RBC Secretary:DONNA THIBAULT
643 PULCIFER RD
MAPLETON, ME 4757 Show Type:OPEN ALL BREED SHOW Contact:207.764.3684
You can find more shows by going to www.arba.net and then choose "Show dates" on the left hand side of the page. This will bring you to a page where you can select the state (or Canada & foreign) and the months you are looking for.

I would not require a contract - because what will you do if someone calls up and says, "I can't have Sisi anymore...come and get her.." Sorry - but you'd be back in the same place you are in now.

Instead, I'd make sure you find her a home with someone who knows rabbits.

I wish I could take her - but I'm way down here in Texas and she'd be living in a cage here (with toys).

I'm sorry if my post sends you into confusion when I say you should rehome both girls - but I think if you keep Simi...you're setting yourself (and the forum) up for more hurt and pain in the future. Just my .02.....

Peg

Oh I'm sorry to hear this. I am very confused as to why you got Ash though...

I hope whatever bun(nies) you do rehome find a perfect home to live in.

I'm just going to say I agree 100% with TinysMom, especially the part of rehoming both girls.

Bonding is very time consuming, even for rabbits who hit it off from the get go. And it is really tough if they don't get along. Also, bonding a neutered male to an unspayed female may be a problem because her hormones can still rage. I couldn't bond my last pair because the doe kept getting so hormonal and mounting my buck. I finally caved and had her spayed (she's almost 5 yearsso it wasn't a teen thing either).

And if you can't afford to both neuter and spay your rabbits, you should really only have one and save your money to put towards only his vet bills. I'd definitely agree that spaying a female is more important health wise than neutereing a buck.

So stick with one rabbit because you can never be sure that a bonded pair will work out until they are about a year old, then the teen stage has passed and if they still get along, chances are they always will. I don't think you want to get overly attached and then have to get rid of her anyways because they don't get along.

Hi, I just want to add on how bonding takes a long time...

My rabbits have bonded in a week, but that is pretty unusual. Usually it can take 3-4 weeks. There are some member who have been bonding there rabbits for 3 months!!

I probobly had to do 2 2 hour session a day, so just 4 hours a day of bonding! And then add on the daily care, and one on one time with each rabbit, all of my time was with them.

If you have to be in school, I dont see how your going to do it unless it is the summer.

Just my :twocents

I agree with you Peg, MBB, and Silvie. Bonding takes time. If you don't have the time it is not going to work. I have been bonding Buddy and Roxie for 3 months. I think you should just keep Ash.

I do not know how old you are butI think the law should be changed and minors should not be allowedto keep animals like rabbits as they do not know what they are getting themselves into and the consequences of their actions.

I may seem hard on you now but as you mature you will more than likely come around to my way of thinking.

I will no doubt get aslating for this but "rabbits get a rawdeal"

It is unfair that you find yourself in this predicament at such a young age.

You are there gaurdian of these buns but ultimately it is out of your control!!

First off....

I saw this thread and wanted to scream. I knew you wanted to rehome Sisi, and I thought it was a good idea. Then, I see you want to rehome Simi...your first baby.

It is quite sad that you added a third rabbit and you are chosing him over your first baby. I am not sure why in the heck a third rabbit was added.

As a moderator, I have to keep calm and not cause a scene, even though it is very hard to keep calm with this thread. It is extremely dissapointing and I am crying for your beautiful girls right now.

Honestly, I would take Simi in a heartbeat, get her spayed, bond her to Marlin, and show her all the love in the world. I have loved that little rabbit from the second I saw her pictures. It is truely going to be very sad for me to not see pictures of her anymore or stories.

I very deeply wish that someone on the forum can adopt your girls. Flying up to 100 pounds of rabbits on an airplane with Frontier Airlines costs the money for a vet check, $85 plus tax, and the money for a crate. So roughly....$160 I would say.

It would be sad to see your ladies go to a home where they have to sit in a hutch all day and die of uterian cancer with someone who doesn't know about rabbits, or knows very little.

** I am keeping my fingers crossed that a member on here can take your girls.

Peg/TinysMom has the best ides - keep one and set aside the resources to that one the way it should be kept.I've owned rabbits for over 18 years and it's taken me anywhere from 6 weeks to over a year to bond different ones. You have to work at it everyday. The best bonding method, in my opinion, is car rides. If you don't have a car and don't have the time, that eliminates the best and easiest way to bond.

A little word about time and making commitments. I am gone from home 11 and 1/2 hours every day for work yet I have 20 animals. During the week I spend at least 4 hours a day with my animals, not including feeding time. It means getting up at 5:30 in the morning to feed cats and scoop litter boxes. Coming home at 6:00 at night and feeding cats, rabbits, cleaning boxes, sweeping bunnyland and then maybe eating dinner around 8:00 and then more time with the rabbits and making salads for them. This isn't a complaint because it's what I choose to do. Most nights I get to bed around midnight or 12:30. My 'indulgence' is this board and another but I would ditch them in second to take care of my animals.

Making a commitment to animals means they come first, their needs come first because they are dependent on me. They can't 'do' for themselves. So I don't watch TV, I don't go to the mall and I certainly don't hang out anywhere other than my own house.

If you aren't willing to put your animals first or you can't put them first, then you shouldn't have them. If you can't afford medical care, including spaying and neutering, then you shouldn't have them. If you aren't mature enough to make these decisions and you can't or won't make them, then your parents need to step in and help make the decisions. I'm glad you're talking to them about these issues now. They need to say no to any future animals.

Do I think it's your age? No, I don't. I think it has a lot more to do with maturity level and putting 'I want' before the needs of the animal and not considering that you are responsible for a living, feeling being. There are plenty of incredibly responsible, very young rabbit ownerson this board and there are some irresponsible adults, as well.

At this point, I will go a step further than Peg and say you should rehome all until you are mature enough and responsible enough to commit the time, effort and money needed. If this sounds harsh, too bad, because I suspect it's your rabbits who will suffer the most when all the crying is done.

Big bad rabbits wrote:
I do not know how old you are butI think the law should be changed and minors should not be allowedto keep animals like rabbits as they do not know what they are getting themselves into and the consequences of their actions.

I may seem hard on you now but as you mature you will more than likely come around to my way of thinking.

I will no doubt get aslating for this but "rabbits get a rawdeal"

It is unfair that you find yourself in this predicament at such a young age.

You are there gaurdian of these buns but ultimately it is out of your control!!
I don't fully agree with this. For some people, who's rabbit's just sit in hutches all day, then yes this could apply. But Silvie, Hannah (my sister) and I are all 12 years old. We put our rabbits first. To tell you the truth, I would much rather be with rabbits than people. :biggrin2: I think about Buddy and Roxie 24/7 and I KNOW that Silvie does too! Hope that helps.

~Megan

Yeah, im 12, and I probobly take better care of my rabbits then most adults. Its not about age. Im with them every minute of my free time. Litteraly.

It isnt out of her control. You care for your rabbits how you want to.

I mean no offence, its not like our brains are 'stupider' then adults. We have the capacity to love and care for animals just as much as you do. Just most kids dont.

I hope ive made somewhat of a point haha

Edit for spelling =/

Big bad rabbits wrote:

Just to remind everyone, this is not a matter of age it is a matter of time. We have a lot of young people on this forum and they take fantastic care of their animals and I would trust them with any of my pets more than many older people I know. Age is not the real problem, it is immaturity and there is a large difference although they do often coincide. Just because someone is young does not make the any less knowledgeable about rabbits or anything else. I think we should turn back to the subject at hand.

Shay, I'm sorry that you feel you have to rehome your rabbit(s). I hope that you find good homes for whoever you decide not to keep.

edit for spelling

Just another note on the age thing, Spring, Bunnydude, and Greta are all Moderators and all under 18. They were chosen to be mods because they are very responsible people no matter what age they are. I have absolutely no worries about them or many other minors who are members of this board. It all comes down to individual responsibility.

Now that I have read Peg's and Seniorcat's posts, I agree that it would be best for you to only keep one or none of your rabbits. Before, I was only thinking about the rabbit having to be rehomed. But with the problems of time and money that you have, I honestly think one or none would be best. You need to decide who you are capable of commiting to, and remember that commiting to a rabbit means 10+ years of care and medical bills. Can you do this? Even when you graduate high school and move out or go to college?

I hope you find great homes for your rabbits. Hopefully someone here will be able to take one.

I agree, it is definitely not a question of age. We have a lot of responsible young members.I myself was 15 when I got my first rabbits and from day one I have always been the primary caregiver of my animals. I was 12 when I started working at a horse stable and was caring for many animals at that age, even if they weren't my own.

Though I do think that any parent should be prepared to take on the full responsibilty of caring for the animal if they are going to allow their child to get a pet in the first place. That's not to say a child can't, but the adults are as much to blame as the children.

And to be honest, I've seen many many adults give up pets. So it's not fair to say kids should not be allowed pets. There are many members here to prove that as a false statement.

naturestee wrote:
Now that I have read Peg's and Seniorcat's posts, I agree that it would be best for you to only keep one or none of your rabbits. Before, I was only thinking about the rabbit having to be rehomed. But with the problems of time and money that you have, I honestly think one or none would be best. You need to decide who you are capable of commiting to, and remember that commiting to a rabbit means 10+ years of care and medical bills. Can you do this? Even when you graduate high school and move out or go to college?
I agree, too. I was thinking like naturestee -just glad that 2 would not have to be moved around...but Peg and Seniorcats are right. If the bonding with Simi and Ash doesn't work, then you are just in for more heartache and stress.

I feel sadly that you will probably keep Ash as he is the newest. It "feels" unfair to Simi who is your first bun. But I do understand that he is "easier" to keep because you can find a vet to do a neuter and not spays.

Pet ownership can be difficult and expensive. I was at the vet 3 times within the past 8 days and have spent close to $600. Half of that was for routine care. The other half for emergency medical issues.

And, as I've told you before, we've got some animals whose behavior and/or health makes for some inconvenience. But I do what I need to do because I am committed to them for a lifetime. Please only keep the animal(s) that you can make that commitment to. You may feel some pain rehoming some...but it will be best.

Phinnsmommy wrote:
Yeah, im 12, and I probobly take better care of my rabbits then most adults. Its not about age. Im with them every minute of my free time. Litteraly.

I mean no offence, its not like our brains are 'stupider' then adults. We have the capacity to love and care for animals just as much as you do. Just most kids dont.

Edit for spelling =/
*Hugs Phinnsmommy* I wish there were more kids like you :biggrin2:I definitely agree with you. It's not the age, but the maturity and acceptance of responsibility ;)

I am not one to usually jump in, but in this case I am going to agree with some statements. I agree that you should rehome both females. Take your male and get him fixed...you and I both know that in New Brunswick it is very difficult...might as well say impossible to get a female fixed...when are you really going to have the money to have a female fixed if you have to take her to the states?

Age has nothing to do with animal care. I have had animals in my life...personally my pets...since I was 8. I have always taken care of them, but there have been times throughout my life when the time I had to give to my animals was next to nothing. I will be honest I have rehomed animals because I knew I wasn't giving them the quality of life they deserved...but I moved on (after much guilt) and made the vow to myself not to let myself get in that situation again.

This being said...when you are at a point in your life when you can have more pets and you want more rabbits or other animals...make sure you have the time and money to put into them.

I wish you luck rehoming your rabbits.....and do it guilt free, you are doing what is best for your animals and you.

MsBinky wrote:
Phinnsmommy wrote:

Edit for spelling =/
*Hugs Phinnsmommy* I wish there were more kids like you :biggrin2:I definitely agree with you. It's not the age, but the maturity and acceptance of responsibility ;)

Hi Phinnsmommy,

Are you really only 12?!...are you sure...haha? I've read lots of your posts and knew you were young, but I thought probably 16 or so. You sound like a very mature and responsible 12 year old :)

Latest posts

Back