HEAD TILT GETTING WORSE!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right now I have her wrapped up. I am trying to hold her down on her other side to maybe relieve her right side of pressure. Just gave her some cilantro that I soaked for a bit and she ate almost all of it. I am now massaging her neck a bit.

I came across this article that talks about one persons experience using fenbendazole(panacur) and ivermectin to treat a rabbit with head tilt. You could ask your vet about it.

http://chiefio.wordpress.com/2011/06/16/encephalitozoon-cuniculi-rabbits-cure/

The massaging her stiff muscles should help her a lot. That's still a really good thing that she is continuing to eat. It's when they stop eating that you really need to worry.

JBun wrote:
I came across this article that talks about one persons experience using fenbendazole(panacur) and ivermectin to treat a rabbit with head tilt. You could ask your vet about it.

http://chiefio.wordpress.com/2011/06/16/encephalitozoon-cuniculi-rabbits-cure/

The massaging her stiff muscles should help her a lot. That's still a really good thing that she is continuing to eat. It's when they stop eating that you really need to worry.

I noticed right now that having her on the opposite side causes the open eye to bulge out more and she keeps the left ear down now. Her head is tilted to the right and her left eye is the open one and also the one that is bulging. I thought flipping her over like this would help the closed eye, but it seems to make the other one worse. Should I not put her in this position? is this a sign of something in her brain like a tumor or abscess?

It could mean that there is some sort of pressure in there. I wouldn't put her on that side if that's what's happening. You could call your vet office and ask them about there being pressure on her eye and what can be done about it.

I would stick with massaging her stiff muscles and keeping her in a position that seems most comfortable to her. And keep the fluids up. Dehydration is always a major concern when rabbits aren't drinking on their own.

JBun wrote:
It could mean that there is some sort of pressure in there. I wouldn't put her on that side if that's what's happening. You could call your vet office and ask them about there being pressure on her eye and what can be done about it.

I would stick with massaging her stiff muscles and keeping her in a position that seems most comfortable to her. And keep the fluids up. Dehydration is always a major concern when rabbits aren't drinking on their own.
Called up the vet. She wants to go ahead and start the injections today and if these don't do it she is not sure what we could possibly do next. So basically this is make it or break it. She will also send me home with fluids. What do you guys think? She wanted her to be off the Metacam for at least 2 days and now we are just going to give her the injections today? I am concerned and when I go I will talk to her about it more. Still no results yet from the blood work. I just don't know what to do anymore. :(

After everything thing I said can anyone tell me how much critical care she should get and how often? I have read about it, but keep getting mixed answers. Any recommendations? I think I am going to wake up atleast once at night to give her some starting tonight. Maybe give it 4-6 times a day? :?

Went to the vet. The injections are Dexamethasone. I didn't realize until I got there that this is a steroid. I am nervous to give this to her. I got the fluids to giver her also. What do you guys think about using steroids already?

On top of all of this though, the place I was planning on getting the critical care from was confused over the phone thinking I needed critical care for a small animal that is critical. I said over the phone "do you carry oxbow critical care for small animals" she said yes and I asked "can I just go in and buy it" she said yes, I went in and they do not have it, the "small animal" vet didn't even know what it was. Now I don't know what to do other than hand feed her and try to syringe pellets if I can even get the mixture thin enough. What about pumpkin? how does that work exactly?

I guess I am just going to give her the shot. She is having trouble eating hay now and I don't want things to get any worse. If she shows no improvement by Sunday I might put her to sleep. This is all getting to hard to watch. Not even sure she will make it to Sunday. Not sure she will make it through the night. Would you give her the steroids? Anyone please answer. :(

***She is eating some hay right now I don't know if maybe the fluids perked her up a bit, I gave them to her a hour ago. She is still laying down though. I am going to get a towel and put it under her side to keep her up. She is already getting tired and starting to stop eating the hay.***

bri13194 wrote:
I guess I am just going to give her the shot. She is having trouble eating hay now and I don't want things to get any worse. If she shows no improvement by Sunday I might put her to sleep. This is all getting to hard to watch. Not even sure she will make it to Sunday. Not sure she will make it through the night. Would you give her the steroids? Anyone please answer. :(
--i have read most of these posts and i have tried to not inundate you with data,-when we are at our wits end is when we find our ability to continue--you are doing your best this is very important--we will all pray for recovery,,-they all deserve it.--sincerely james waller--:pray::pray::innocent

I'd give her Medicam and not the steroid.

I'd also have her on BOTH the Baytril and the Chlor Palm.

sas :pray:

I gave her the injection. Going to see if she will take some mashed pellets before bed and I guess by morning I will know if these steroids helped a bit. :pray: :expressionless :(

If you feel like she is fading, then trying the steriods might be the best thing.

Soak the pellets in warm water to soften it up. If you have a large syringe, you might be able to get that to work to give her the pellet slurry. Or you can try using a spoon or butterknife and try to get her to eat it off of one of those. So, is she not eating enough pellets and hay on her own? The amount of critical care that you give just depends on how much she is also eating on her own. Now that you are giving a pellet slurry, estimate how much you usually gave her when she wasn't sick, and divide it up into several feedings like 4 hours apart, 6 times a day. Keep giving the leafy greens too. You could try canned pumpkin but if she'll take her softened pellets that would probably be better for her. If you use the pumpkin it's the plain stuff, not the pie filling.

Where did you get the critical care that you've been feeding her? Try calling around to the different rabbit vets around you to see if anyone has critical care. Here's a place in No. California that has it.

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=17858

This isn't the fine grind so you need a large enough syringe that it will squeeze through, if you get this kind.

I feel so bad for you and your bun. I really hope the steriods help her. If she's doing well enough tomorrow, you could ask your vet about giving her ivermectin. Some people have had success with it in treating EC.

JBun wrote:
If you feel like she is fading, then trying the steriods might be the best thing.

Soak the pellets in warm water to soften it up. If you have a large syringe, you might be able to get that to work to give her the pellet slurry. Or you can try using a spoon or butterknife and try to get her to eat it off of one of those. So, is she not eating enough pellets and hay on her own? The amount of critical care that you give just depends on how much she is also eating on her own. Now that you are giving a pellet slurry, estimate how much you usually gave her when she wasn't sick, and divide it up into several feedings like 4 hours apart, 6 times a day. Keep giving the leafy greens too. You could try canned pumpkin but if she'll take her softened pellets that would probably be better for her. If you use the pumpkin it's the plain stuff, not the pie filling.

Where did you get the critical care that you've been feeding her? Try calling around to the different rabbit vets around you to see if anyone has critical care. Here's a place in No. California that has it.

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=17858

This isn't the fine grind so you need a large enough syringe that it will squeeze through, if you get this kind.

I feel so bad for you and your bun. I really hope the steriods help her. If she's doing well enough tomorrow, you could ask your vet about giving her ivermectin. Some people have had success with it in treating EC.

Wish I could have asked her about it today, but she wasn't in, it was just a vet tech that helped me. I had critical care left over from a guinea pig who had some while sick and I didn't have much, but it worked for a few days. Unfortunately that place is in northern Cali and I am in southern California. I hope they help her too. I am just not ready to lose her I love her sooo much. :hearts :hearts :hearts

I hope her blood work finally comes in tomorrow. I am just dying to know if it is positive for EC or not. :expressionless :?

Don't know if anyone knows the answer, but if the steroids work what is it they will help her do? It's suppose to help the head tilt right? Anyways thanks again. :) :expressionless :( :pray:

Latest posts

Back