HEAD TILT GETTING WORSE!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Imbrium wrote:
darn it! I saw you'd posted and was thinking it was the test results, lol. I'm headed to bed soon but was really hoping to hear what the results were!

Aww. Lol I know I'm sorry. Well hopefully when you wake up I will know the results. :):expressionless:(

you'd better! man, I hope it's something good! I can't imagine having to go through what you've been going through lately. I know I'd be a total wreck over it.

I want nothing more than for you to finally get a good night's sleep because your little girl is all better!

Imbrium wrote:
you'd better! man, I hope it's something good! I can't imagine having to go through what you've been going through lately. I know I'd be a total wreck over it.

I want nothing more than for you to finally get a good night's sleep because your little girl is all better!
:yeahthat:

Imbrium wrote:

:yeahthat:

Once again, another thing we went through when Jelly had head tilt. Usually our vet at least doesn't do call-backs until after most appointments are done for the day. SO, that means we wouldn't hear back till later on. And, despite that, we'd be calling all day pestering.

Unfortunately the blood test didn't tell us much. She was negative for E.Cuniculi. He said at this point unless I had like an MRI done they are not able to tell me much. It could be an inner ear thing or nerve damage. I asked how soon I should have seen some improvement from the steroids and he said it really should have helped after one dose, but to continue them and we'll see.

Basically I am stuck between a rock and a hard place and there isn't anything else I can do. I wanted to ask about the medicine JBUN told me about, but I forgot the name and I was out when he called. Although we talked about using different antibiotics. The one I am using now is one of his favorites and he is actually surprised she has not showed any improvement on it.

I don't know how much longer I can watch her go through this. I honestly can't take it anymore. Nothing is helping her and it is killing me. I don't want to lose her, but I feel I must let her go. It isn't fair to make her continue in this condition. I just don't know what to do.... :cry1:

*Huggles* Oh dear- this sounds like what I went through a year and a half ago. Exactly. It is a horrible feeling when you can't do anything and watching a bunny who is that miserable is just terrible. I don't have much further advice as this is the time I came to feeling I couldn't watch my bunny suffer any more; all I can do is tell you I'm praying for all involved in the situation. Especially your sweet lil' bunny.:pray:

I have come to the heartbreaking decision to put True to sleep tomorrow if she makes it through the night. She is getting so thin and moves less and less. She can barely eat from the syringe anymore. She has diarrhea and her closed eye is getting worse. The pink part of her eye at the top is starting to come out even though the eye is closed. I can't stop crying right now this is so hard. I don't know how I will get through tomorrow. I will not be giving her the steroids tonight. Don't see the point in poking her again. Unless it can help ease any pain. Will it do that?

God I don't want to lose her, but I refuse to let her suffer anymore. </3 :cry1:

steroids will not help with the pain. You can always go back to the metacam tonight, though. I am sorry your bunny did not do well... this case has been a learning one for me as well as I have done a lot of recent literature research and catching up with the latest veterinary forum discussions about head tilts... and I have had to edit my comments back on the second page of this thread (thoughts have changed about E cuniculi as the cause of these problems). You did about everything you could have possibly done for True, though. At least she has to know you care about her. But I think you are making the right choice here, as hard as it is.

I'd skip the steroid but Metacam or a little Ibuprofen will ease the pain, and it might perk her up, but she needs to be hydrated and have food in her stomach to take it, catch 22. :(

More aggressive antibiotics still might work. But its also very possible there is permanent damage. My lop has one side of her face paralyzed by an ear infection.

I'd personally make the decision after another round of pain meds if she'll eat and drink enough, but you know your bunny and it's your call.

Sorry you have to go through this. :(

sas :sad:

She does not eat or drink well at all as of right now. As much as I want to keep trying, I can't for the sake of her well being. As much as it kills me to make the decision I am relieved to know that tomorrow all her pain and suffering will finally be over. She is so lifeless right now I am not even sure she will make it till morning. My decision is firm. I will not be continuing treatment.

I just want everyone to know I tried as hard as I could to fight for her and she tried her hardest to keep holding on. I love her so much and that is why I have made this final decision for her, I made it out of love. I will let everyone know what happens tomorrow. Thanks everyone so much for everything. :pray: :tears2: :( :expressionless :hearts

I'm so sorry for you and your little bun. I think I can say that all of us here were hoping she would get better, but sometimes no matter how hard we try, they're just too sick to recover. We all know that you tried all you could to help her and that you are making this hard decision for her own welfare. I hope this night is a peaceful one for both of you.

Oh no I hate to see you go through this :( I can't imagine how hard it would be to put my Ash to sleep. But you did all you could, and True will always be grateful for such a kind and loving owner.

What does the vet say? does he think she can still live?

I'm sending love and prayers to you and True :heartbeat::pray:

I am so sorry it has come to this. Even though it hurts this is the most difficult but kindest decision we ever have to make as pet owners. There really is only so much you can do and I think you have done it admirably. Please be comforted in the knowledge that you have the ability to recognize when you and your bunny have had enough. I really believe you have done everything you possibly could for her.

Prayers and hugs :pray:
April

I'm so sorry it has to end this way! we were all hoping for some solid answers followed by a recovery for poor True, but I guess sometimes that just isn't what the universe has in mind :(. you've been such a wonderful and loving caretaker to her and have done all you can to try to get her better... as much as it hurts, sometimes the best thing you can do for a beloved pet is to end their suffering.

binky free, little True :tears2:

True has been laid to rest. I was with her every step of the way, even though they kept asking me if I was sure I was comfortable enough to watch, I knew before I got there I would not leave her side. I was in tears before they did it, but after I was just so relieved for her that I couldn't cry. It was so peaceful. She wasn't in any pain. I am going to have her cremated and when my shed is built I will put her on a shelf in there so she can watch over her buddy Trouble.

I am doing okay and thank you everyone you helped me through the hardest thing in life I have ever done and for that I am Truly grateful. I will enjoy getting to know all of you more on this forum for years to come. I definitely want to introduce you all to my other rabbit Trouble. I know you will all fall for him just like me.

Together or apart my bunnies will always be "True Trouble" to me. :pray: :hearts

:apollo: :headflick:

IMG_6075-1.jpg

aww, trouble's a cutie. I hope he does well with the loss of his companion.

I would've chosen to be in there with her, too - as tough as that may be, you'll always be thankful that you were with her in those final moments, reminding her that she was truly loved in life.

again, I'm so sorry for all that you and True have had to go through. I'm in tears over the sad news, though I know you did what was best for True and I'm glad that her suffering has come to an end.

Latest posts

Back