HEAD TILT GETTING WORSE!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
james waller wrote:
bri13194 wrote:
I realized after I put that, that you obviously need eye ointment not regular ointment. I will look in to buying some right away.
:headsmack

That is what I figured with the poop. I will try to give her more hay. Thanks again. :)
--yes,poops are very important--to save time and perhaps frustrations here is my link to my sanity http://www.medirabbit.com --no poops within 12-24 hr.is an emergency--i repeat,you sound like a very good mom,,-sincerely james waller:pray::big wink::pray:

She is pooping for sure. I just fed her a lot of alfalfa hay so I am hoping it helps. I am going to give her some orchard grass in the morning, but since I need to sleep I like giving her the hay with more calcium etc at night. It is a good thing I work at home for my mom.

If it wasn't for that I wouldn't be able to feed and check on her several times a day. She is still standing up most of the time now and when she falls over she doesn't freak out and flip like crazy she stays calm and gets back up, well most of the time at least. I am just praying to wake up and find her head less tilted. Feels like it is taking forever
:sosad

james waller wrote:
bri13194 wrote:
I realized after I put that, that you obviously need eye ointment not regular ointment. I will look in to buying some right away.
:headsmack

That is what I figured with the poop. I will try to give her more hay. Thanks again. :)
--yes,poops are very important--to save time and perhaps frustrations here is my link to my sanity http://www.medirabbit.com --no poops within 12-24 hr.is an emergency--i repeat,you sound like a very good mom,,-sincerely james waller:pray::big wink::pray:

Thanks for the link. I will definitely check it out. :)

She needs to be on more than just Baytril. Ask for Chloramphenicol, I'd prefer it over the PenG suggestion, but that should work too. Combined with the Baytril, you hopefully will see improvement.

sas :clover:

Pipp wrote:
She needs to be on more than just Baytril. Ask for Chloramphenicol, I'd prefer it over the PenG suggestion, but that should work too. Combined with the Baytril, you hopefully will see improvement.

Does that help the ear infection? I also read Azithromycin is good too. There is just so many different ones to choose from. Don't know which to ask my vet about. I might just take a list in and we can see what we come up with. Thanks. :)

bri13194 wrote:
Because she is standing more I put some hay next to her and she is nibbling on it. :)
---i love it when a plan comes together,--i know how busy you are taking care of the critter,-i have been doing this for about 9 years---just answer when or if you can -no.one will think worse of you--awsome job,--sincerely james waller:pray::innocent:big wink::big wink::wink

bri13194 wrote:
Pipp wrote:

Does that help the ear infection? I also read Azithromycin is good too. There is just so many different ones to choose from. Don't know which to ask my vet about. I might just take a list in and we can see what we come up with. Thanks. :)
---the cultures/blood work will define the particular bacterium causing the problem--with some luck the baytril will do the trick--note:behavior should improve or stablize before tests results come back (one week)--if not notify exotic dvm immediately---sincerely james waller--:pray::shock::innocent:innocent:big wink:

Bacterial inner ear infections CAN cause head tilt, but by far more common is E cannuliculi, (a parasite, not bacterium).. .so all the penicillin, Baytril and Azithromycin in the world may not make the least amount of difference... Panacur is more likely to be the effective medication in this case, but you usually need to give it for a month or so. It is very hard to culture any bacteria that would be causing an inner ear infection anyway (how would you get a sample?). You can do serology for Pasteurella, but a positive titer will not mean that is what is causing your rabbit's head tilt. I am not saying NOT to use antibiotics, either... but concentrate on keeping up with her Panacur.

Geoff wrote:
Bacterial inner ear infections CAN cause head tilt, but by far more common is E cannuliculi, (a parasite, not bacterium).. .so all the penicillin, Baytril and Azithromycin in the world may not make the least amount of difference... Panacur is more likely to be the effective medication in this case, but you usually need to give it for a month or so. It is very hard to culture any bacteria that would be causing an inner ear infection anyway (how would you get a sample?). You can do serology for Pasteurella, but a positive titer will not mean that is what is causing your rabbit's head tilt. I am not saying NOT to use antibiotics, either... but concentrate on keeping up with her Panacur.

Hopefully the test results are in today and I will know for sure. :)

Hate to argue with a vet, LOL! But ear infections are far more common here on RO. Probably 1 in 10 is EC, the others are inner ear infections. BUT we always recommend treating for both! (Or at least we're supposed to. Oops).

If it is EC, ask your vet about Ponazuril.

Just moved her into a small playpen, but it is bigger than the dog crate. She doesn't flop like crazy anymore, when she falls she pulls herself back up slowly so she is more balanced and she is eating out of her bowl today. Still doesn't drink out of her bowl, but that could be because I gave her some cucumber earlier since they are watery to make sure she doesn't dehydrate. She has almost finish eating all her food. :)

I want to post a pictue of her so you guys can see the tilt I just don't know how to do it. :?

That's good news. It sounds like she's improving. Be ready for the possibility of a downturn. The other stories I've read about where people have experienced this with their rabbit, often mention improvement in the beginning, then a downturn, then they start to improve again. Just wanted to make you aware of this, so if it happens, you'll know what's going on. Just keep up with the full month of Panacur even if she gets to the point that she seems better. Everything I've read indicates this is very important.

If she's used to veggies, they are actually a really good way for your rabbit to get some of the water that they need.

I wish I could help with the pictures but I haven't tried yet myself. These are the instructions if you can figure it out:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=69688&forum_id=66

:pray:
I haven't had experience with head tilt but I can imagine how hard it must be. So sorry you and your bunny have had to go through this but I'm very glad she's feeling better. Just want to send good thoughts and hugs from my house to yours.

JBun wrote:
That's good news. It sounds like she's improving. Be ready for the possibility of a downturn. The other stories I've read about where people have experienced this with their rabbit, often mention improvement in the beginning, then a downturn, then they start to improve again. Just wanted to make you aware of this, so if it happens, you'll know what's going on. Just keep up with the full month of Panacur even if she gets to the point that she seems better. Everything I've read indicates this is very important.

If she's used to veggies, they are actually a really good way for your rabbit to get some of the water that they need.

I wish I could help with the pictures but I haven't tried yet myself. These are the instructions if you can figure it out:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=69688&forum_id=66

Thanks hopefully I can. She does seem better, but worse at the same time. She has no energy. She eats and then pauses to breathe and stands over her bowl for awhile then starts to eat again. Same thing if I hand feed her when before she would eat up everything and kept trying to move which caused crazy flopping and now she is very calm and slow, she also has been sleeping a lot more. She is also easily out of breath every little thing is very strenuous for her, but even if she is tired and out of breath she still tries to eat and so far today has eaten a lot.

Haven't given her any critical care today, I plan on only giving her some before bed and see how she is. I am so glad I just ordered this Living World Ergonomic dish and it is slanted for comfort and it is perfect for her. She puts her two front paws on it then reaches down for food. It isn't the easiest, but it is much easier on her.

I honestly don't know how it could possibly get worse and I know it is an up down thing. I am scared for anything worse than now. I am also scared that it's just going to be up and down forever. I just hope she is headed down a good path and continues, but I know that isn't always the case. :/

Your poor baby. That's actually a really good thing though, that she is able to eat on her own like that. My bun that had EC couldn't even eat on his own because the head tilt was so bad. So her eating like that is great. She may just be more sedate cause this is wearing her out. The panacur could be affecting her too. If it really worries you, you should bring it up with your vet to see if it's anything to be alarmed about. With her eating on her own, it just seems that she would only be able to do that now because she's improving.

Does she seem to be drinking ok?

JBun wrote:
Your poor baby. That's actually a really good thing though, that she is able to eat on her own like that. My bun that had EC couldn't even eat on his own because the head tilt was so bad. So her eating like that is great. She may just be more sedate cause this is wearing her out. The panacur could be affecting her too. If it really worries you, you should bring it up with your vet to see if it's anything to be alarmed about. With her eating on her own, it just seems that she would only be able to do that now because she's improving.

Does she seem to be drinking ok?

Haven't seen her drink yet, but I haven't watched her 24/7 I actually got out tonight to see a movie. I force a little water with a syringe throughout the day and give her veggies that I wash in water and put extra in her critical care. She is peeing normally. Hopefully I see her drinking more on her own soon though. :/

Latest posts

Back