Gimli and Niobe's photo thread

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kadish Tolesa

Reaction score
Gimli and Niobe were introduced recently.They are a buck and doe, respectively ; and both are neutered/spayed.

Niobe was sold to us as a"Lionhead", but she does not look anything like Peg's beautifulbunnies. Hmmmmm. ( BTW, Peg, are you attending any shows up byWisconsin anytime soon???? Anytime at all ?? Bunnynapper plotting.....Love your Lionheads !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:groupparty:

Gimli quickly showed Niobe who was Top Bun . At one point he actually groomed her ; then went back to nipping.:( I had to act fast to protect poor Niobe, who took refuge under a plant shelf.

Both buns have their own homes. Gimli's is an "organize-it" cube house with a second story, and Niobe has a large plastic-bottomed cage with an upper shelf on one side.

Niobe will get her own cube house when she learns how to use her litter pan !:?I'd like her & Gimli to bond, but that may take a while.

Guten Abend,

Kadish Tolesa :purplepansy:

Howdy...sorry - no shows in Wisconsin.However, I'm pretty proud that one of my bunnies is going to Florida this fall.....wish I could go along with her!

Your lion head is pretty - I'm assuming she's a Sable Point "Sport"(sport because of the white marks on her feet and face). Is that what they told you? Any idea how old she is?

If she is a single-maned lionhead (meaning she has only one mane gene...she still has the mane in the same area) - she could have molted and lost part of her mane. Frequently (but not always),single-mane lion heads will lose their mane when they molt and it doesn't grow back. Sometimes it does grow back. If she's a double-mane lion head, she should mostly keep her mane. I say mostly...but truth be told - many many lionheads lose their mane as they get older. When you see pictures on websites of lionheads - you're frequently seeing their "junior"pictures because as they get older they may lose their mane...especially if the does decide to pull that particular fur to line their nest.

Later this week I'll try to get pictures of my adult girls on the "ElRey Lionhead" thread to show you what they're looking like now as adults. To me - they're still pretty....but I wish I'd seen some of these girls as juniors.

To me though - the best thing about lionheads isn't their looks - it is their personality. I find them to be VERY curious - and they love to run and play. Yet...when I go to hold them - they cuddle into me and will sometimes lay in my lap for half an hour at a time while I watch tv. I've only had does fight me because they get territorial of their cage - and my two "mean" does are now sweeties because I worked with them - actually our whole family worked with them to tame them. Miss Bea who hated humans....begs for attention now...and Mona Kea who didn't want to let me even put food in her cage - now tries to jump in my arms to get to the food scoop and she lets me pet her some - she still needs some taming.

Peg

Hi Peg, to be honest...the employees at Petco weren't very helpful--although they were friendly and seemed to be trying!

When I asked how long she'd been at the store, they said "awhile". Icalled the manager; she said that all rabbits come in @ 8 wks. ;I also have a bunny instruction/care sheet that says she came from Marshall Farms in New York.

The sign above their bin said "Lionhead", along with some Hotots, ect. One employee I talked to said that she thoughtmy Lionhead might be crossed with a dutch, in her opinion.

Thanks for your info. , it helps to have some more input about Niobe. I'll try to post more pics after I get my pixel problem fixed----I'm a computer dunce.:(

Enjoyed looking at your photos :)

Kadish Tolesa :)

Absolutely adorable! I agree with Pegthat the Lion looks like a sable point BEW sport (white markings due tothe BEW gene rather than the Dutch gene). The little cutie inthe sink is a tort.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
I agree with Peg that the Lion looks like a sablepoint BEW sport (white markings due to the BEW gene rather than the Dutch gene).Pam

WOO HOO!!!! Jumping around the room and practically breaking my arm patting myself on the back!

I KNOW something and could identify something and it was right!!!!!

I've learned so much from Pam and others on this forum - plus all the websites I've visited...

Maybe there is hope for me as a breeder...

Peg

P.S. You haven't shared much about your bunny's personality -what is it like? Do you find her friendly? If not -let me know and I'll share about Miss Bea and how we got our vicious little bun to become a sweetheart....(she did fight me once today but I was MAKING her go back in her cage and she didn't want to).

Wow..I'm learning alot ! Niobe'svery calm. This does not mean she's overly friendly. She can be alittle nippy when I'm trying to clean her home; but when being held,she's good as gold !

I had a mean-ish OpalNetherland dwarf who turned out to be a mean-ish Blue OtterN.D. (got D.Q.'d at my first show:(.) Well, we started taking her out ofher hutch every day, and just holding her alot. She's much better now,and I've gone from wanting to call the breeder to ask about taking herback, to wanting to keep her ! We may have her live indoorsas a house bun soon -- although I may still use her for show breeding.

I'd like to hear about "Miss Bea (?) "

I was teasing my hubbyrecently and said I was thinking about letting Gimli (my tort N.D.cross) go. He got all funny about it and said that Gimli didn't want tolive anywhere else ! Hubby also said that Gimli"would misshis house and oatmeal boxes." This from the man whoreally did'nt want a rabbit in HIS room !:p

Kadish Tolesa :purplepansy::runningrabbit:

p.s. both Gimli andNiobe's body type remind me of Britannia petite (sp ?) They like tosquat on their haunches with forelegs upright.

Hi,Peg, that was pretty neat---just shows what a littleaffection will do. :cool:

Currently we have a FawnFlemish giant doe (pedigreed to the third generation)who hasjust had a litter of 8 ( all Sandies).Unfortunately , 1 of the babies got out of the nestbox on day 2 andperished. I attempted to revive the kit but it never "wokeup". Four days after that , the runt died in the nest box.The remaining 6 are doing well and some have been spoken for.The original breeder wants a kit and I'll be keeping some, asI've been told that you have to breed Sandy into Fawn to keep theweight heavy enough. ( Sandies, anyone?:D)

Let me back up. I boughtthe three-year-old Fawn doe from a lady way up north, and as far as Iknow, I'm her 4th owner.

She's Fawn, but the ownerbred her toher strong(bloodline) Sandy buck.

I also own 2 Fawn F.G.bucks( also pedigreed to the 6th gen. ), but they're too young to breed.The bucks are from a different owner/breeder and are like the Flemishreputation--very sweet babies!!.We hope to showthemthis fall and have some Fawn F.G.'s available inspring/summer 2006.

All this to say that theFawn F.G. mommy is a real biter ! She doesn't want anyone totouch her, either. She's bitten my hubby, my 2 yr.-old, and me. We lether out on the lawn to run, but she charges at people, with her earsdown. So the poor mom has to hang out in her hutch. ( my hubby built itand I'm proud of how it turned out ! 6ft long x 3ft wide x 2 1/2 fthigh. )

We're hoping that she calms down after the litter is weaned.

Kadish Tolesa :pinkpansy:

Kadish Tolesa wrote:
Hi,Peg, that was pretty neat---just shows what a littleaffection will do. :cool:

All this to say that theFawn F.G. mommy is a real biter ! She doesn't want anyone totouch her, either. She's bitten my hubby, my 2 yr.-old, and me. We lether out on the lawn to run, but she charges at people, with her earsdown. So the poor mom has to hang out in her hutch. ( my hubby built itand I'm proud of how it turned out ! 6ft long x 3ft wide x 2 1/2 fthigh. )

We're hoping that she calms down after the litter is weaned.

Tiny is a biter - really irritates me sometimes. He onlybites if I pick him up because he hates to be picked up and takenanywhere. Well - he does hate to be held in any manner.

He's about 8 months old now and he's really settling downsome. I notice he's becoming lots more affectionate with meas long as its on HIS terms...

I wish I could have more flemish....however, I'd insist on getting onethat had been handled and socialized from a young age. I'venoticed that my baby lionheads LOVE to be held and when they see a handcome into the playpen....they usually run TOWARDS it and not away fromit.

Peg

Ifwe can get Gimli and Niobe bonded, I may consider getting one morehouse bun. 3 is about all we have room for.....plus having a toddler inthe house means that the rabbits have to have safe homes that are outof reach.

We are half-way throughbuilding an addition to our existing house. When it'scomplete , I might be able to dedicate an entire room for the buns.SSSSSHHHHH---only people on this forum get to hear this exciting news!!!!!!!!!!! :groupparty:

youre buns are precious!! cant wait for more pictures!! and goodluck with the secret bunny room!!

what is the pixel problem you are having? could it be the brand ofcamera you are using? like some cameras have digital zoom...but notoptical and that makes for a grainy pixelatedpic...alsodepending on how many megapixels your camera is when you transfer themto the comp it automatically enlarges them and withlowmegapixel cameras it becomes extremely grainy whenenlarged...also forresizing pix ...if you are using a PC justgo into paint and go to the skew option and it resizes in 2 seconds ..no waiting for it load likeonphotobucket........idoubt your problem lies within the compor data transfering...oh oh and also under the optionson yourcamera you can choose how high of a quality you want the picture..often ppl put it on the lowest setting so there is moreroomonyour card...but if you put it on a higher setting it willimprove the quality of the picture reducing that grainy appearance....idont know if you are in the market for a newcamera but ipicked up an olympus camedia d-535 for $100 at walmart... it has bothdigital/optical zoom 3.2 megapixel and i dont have a single complaintabout it...it honestly has all you need for an affordable goodcamera...oh and Amyuses the same camera as well and youveseen how stunning her photos come out!

Kadish Tolesa wrote:

p.s. both Gimli andNiobe's body type remind me of Britannia petite (sp ?) They like tosquat on their haunches with forelegs upright.

Yes, they do appear to have a finer, longer bone and high head mounts similar to the Petite type.

Pam

Hi, I was unable to respond to thecamera question last night because my 2 yr-old woke up and I had to gethim some milk.

Our camera is a Kodak 3.1megapixels , EasyShare DX4330. We bought it 2 yrs.ago @ BestBuy for around 325.oo $

It is on the highestsetting and takes excellent photos. The problem may have beenthat I was resizing the photos using an old version of CorelPhoto-paint.:X:X:X

Last night I usedPhotoBucket to resize the pic. and it looked better,IMO.:cool:

Thanks for the info., Peg,about the paint program (that comes with my PC.). I'll give it a try.When I move pic.'s from the Kodak program into my PhotoBucket album ,it takes forever if my internet connection is slow. ( We havedial-up)

I dont know how comfortable you are with theKodak easy share program, but if youre looking to free up some space onyour comp it really is unnecesary...windows already comes with aprogram that will transfer your images over for you. if you search forit on your comp, its called Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard. ....imon a cable connection and its takes awhile for photobucket toload pictures so i can imagine how annoyingthat mustbefor you...but paint is great for simple stuff like that :)

Sirrus is one of our Fawn Flemmie bucks, theboy is our son, Caleb. When one of them was in the pic., then the otherwould wander out of view !

Our Flemmie bucks are very sweet and tolerant of children !

Kadish Tolesa :D

Hi Kadish, I love all you Bunnies. Very cute. I love the one of the Bunny in the sink.

My next two Bunnies will be a Lionhead & a Flemish. Ididn't even know either existed until I joined the forum, now I'm inlove with all of them. I want to "Bunnynap" Apollo LOL.

I have 3 adorable bunnies 1 ND he's 7 this August, the other two areMini Lops they will be 2 in October. All very cute.

Soooska

Hello,hope people can read this (color of font is kind of light ) .I may have to rename thisthread.........................

Guess what I didyesterday.................uh, oh . everyone's thinking............WEKNOW WHAT YOU DID ! ! ! :shock:

Yes, I bought one morebunny ; the third & last house bun, as I'm out ofroom. Well, no one's ever out of room , right ???HeHeHe. Because of my toddler ( and I do love him dearly), wehave to keep the rabbit's houses out of reach. Every dayItake out one or more buns for socialization andbinky time.

My 2 yr-oldislearning to pat gently , although I sensesome mildstress from not being able to "grab and squeeze"; like hedoes with his giant purple bunny fromWal-Mart.

Anyway,this new bunnyis............a Lionhead buck. He will be ready for neutering soon,although I WISH I could breed and show these gentle little buns!!:( There's alot of information about them, here on thisforum,thanks to Peg . (my apologies to anyone who's already writtenabout Lionheads, so far I've just read Peg's info. ) I just don't knowhow difficult it is to breed Lionheads for showingpurposes......

The pet store had him in alarge cage with a Chinchilla ! ( the animal, not same-colored rabbit )I've never seen those twospeciescombined.

The storeclerksaid the bun was provided by a breeder in the general area ; I'mplanning to call tomorrow and see if the manager will give me thebreeder's name/phone . They were'nt sure how old the bun was, but hisscrotum has'nt dropped/filled out yet, just some flat skinfolds. (?)

I went to the store to getNiobe some chew toys ( bunny kabob? ). There was this little Lionheadwith bits of mane .....sitting there resting.I asked theemployee if I could take him out and hold him --- big mistake. :p He snuggled into the crook of my arm and then,when I held him up, he licked my face ! Naughty bunny to con me likethat!

I'll get some pic.'sposted soon. Some of my hubby's relatives are visiting Friday, so I'llbe busy cooking/cleaning tomorrow.

Niobe and Epoch havealready met, as well as Epoch and Gimli. Gimli is rather active anddoes'nt seem to have time for laid-back buns , but Niobe and Epoch hitit off fairlywell until Epoch tried to mount Niobe's head .:?

I quickly grabbed Epochbefore Niobe could nip him. The two won't get anymore time togetheruntil Epoch's vet visit ! ;)

As toEpoch'sname.....I thoughtof it on the drive home ."Epoch" has a few different meanings , that I'm aware of. One meaningis ...the sense of a pivotalevent ; a historicalmoment -- in our case, this being the last house bunny for awhile....."Epoch" just seemed to fit. ( We're pronouncing it Ay'-pahk ,sort of like Switch's friend Apoc in the "Matrix". This is not thecorrect pronounciation of "epoch" found in the dictionary.)

Hubby thinks their bodytypes ( Niobe & Epoch ) are different, with Epoch beingsmaller, round/cobbier , and thicker ears.

BTW, Epoch is white with alttle grey sprinkled in his ears and on top of his tail andnose.

Have a good weekend !

p.s. binkies to all fromGimli, Niobe, and Epoch !:bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back