From cupcake to Gracie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you're right about them attacking the water bottle, being out of frustration. Some of mine do it too. They like go between licking it and biting it. I can't use water dishes with mine so I would really like to find a bottle that has a really good water flow, but also doesn't drip.

Lol, I was cracking up at Gracie. If anyone thinks that a rabbit can't hold a grudge, they don't know rabbits very well! I can't believe she would be so attached to her hay creation that she would be upset for so long. I bet your husband was pretty surprised at the sudden affection. Could you maybe just get a big litterbox that you could put her hay in so the mess is contained and easy to clean? i'm not sure of your setup or if that would work.

Jenny, the water bottle I have, is the one with the spring stick thing. I've had it for almost 3 years and it just started leaking a few months ago. It doesn't leak now, because its never used, only hanging there. It has a good flow and its pretty easy for them to catch on to. Ellie still hasn't gotten the hang of it because she uses a bowl.

Haha just catching up with Gracie's strop. What a mean bunny to hold a grudge against mummy for just trying to make her house s bit tidier. She sounds like a stubborn little bunny, funny them having traits like us, they are such complex little things. Hope she gets over it soon. If you have the space, maybe Jenny's idea would work and she could mess things to her heart's content. I have an enormous corner litterbox for Houdini as he's a digger and a messy little sod. It's now in his cage and although he messes the rest of his cage just by moving everything, he now can't throw all the litter mess into the cage so it might work.

Jenny, the water bottle I have, is the one with the spring stick thing. I've had it for almost 3 years and it just started leaking a few months ago. It doesn't leak now, because its never used, only hanging there. It has a good flow and its pretty easy for them to catch on to. Ellie still hasn't gotten the hang of it because she uses a bowl.

Oh I didn't mean Ellie was getting frustrated with her water bottle. I know she has a water dish. I was thinking more of Gracie and my rabbits being frustrated. They do end up getting enough water, it just doesn't come out fast enough for their liking. I'm sure Ellie was probably just messing around with hers out of curiosity :) It's funny cause Toby will start chewing on his at feeding time cause he is so impatient for me to feed him his pellets, lol.

Nala always attacked the water bottle when I used one - I could always tell who was drinking because Gaz would sit there lapping for 5 mins whereas with Nala, you'd hear her biting on the stem like "gimmeh waterz!!". sometimes (with Gaz, especially), I'd sit there and squeeze the water bottle gently so the water would come out faster. they've still got a bottle in their cage as a back-up water source, but they never use it - they much prefer the 1.5L cat waterer I got for $5 from walmart.

I can't believe she's holding THAT much of a grudge over you cleaning up her "creation" that she snuggled with your husband to make you jealous, lol... next time, you should make him clean it out :p. my girls are the same way, if they get a pile of hay spread everywhere, they'll pee on it. luckily, mine don't get mad if I take it away.

This is Gracie's setup. Excuse her linoleum that she has torn up. We are getting ready to put an entire wood floor in it so she can't chew it up. The white tub is her litter box. I switch between shredded paper and the carefresh bedding. On the other side is a small lip in the wood for her hay. Obviously, it doesnt stay there because she drags it out.
photo-4-1_zps2cc5faf6.jpg

Any suggestions on what I can do?

I would give her a hay box. Like her smaller than her litter box, but on the hay side. Hay doesn't absorb smell, but at least if she pottied in it, it would be contained. And then she could make a nest in her hay box.

Is she still holding a grudge?

I would give her a hay box. Like her smaller than her litter box, but on the hay side. Hay doesn't absorb smell, but at least if she pottied in it, it would be contained. And then she could make a nest in her hay box.

Is she still holding a grudge?

Ok, Im actually getting ready to head out to walmart for a few things (youre favorite place lol). I got her litter bin from the dollar tree so I might stop there and see if I can find a smaller one. Did your phone die again last night? I tried to call back after the second time we were talking and it was going to voicemail again.

No I think her grudge is done. She greeted me as usual this morning. I think it was because she wanted her morning few cheerios. She didnt ask for them yesterday morning because she was still mad

Yeah it did die. This phone is making me nuts! Ugh. Half the time it doesn't ring and i only get texts or voicemails. Its stupid.

That's good that she's not being mean anymore!
I would try a hay box. Maybe that will work.

You could try a larger litter box and put her hay in it also, if you think that might work. With one of my rabbits I tried all sorts of hay containment ideas. I tried hay racks and hay bins, and she would pretty much dig the hay out of everything I tried. Then it would get everywhere, then she would dig in her small litterbox and get that everywhere. Then she would pee all over everything that she dug out. I finally got a larger cat litter box at walmeart and it's worked great. I put most of the litter at the one end where she pees, and I put hay at the other end where she will eat and also nap sometimes. And if she digs in there, the sides are high enough to keep it all in. She does end up peeing on some of the hay, but I get big bales of it, so I don't mind throwing out a little hay if the trade off is a clean cage. If you don't want Gracie peeing on her hay at all, you could try making the stormhaven litter box thing, with the grid and the hay rack in the litter box.

It's not the best angle, but she's laying in her hay end of the litter box, and she pees at the back end of it.

IMAG0879-1.jpg

Last edited:
Haha, Jennifer, you're always great with those links! I'm too lazy to want to look them up most of the time :)

I have a notepad file of all my favorite bunny-related links, lol - I use it TONS when I answer stuff on Yahoo Answers so that I'm not constantly looking stuff up or copy/pasting individual bookmarks :p

I think Jenny´s idea is good, that´s more or less what I do with Houdini. He has a very large litter box and pees in one end and then eats his hay from the other and sometimes sleeps in there.

Ok this isnt going to be about Gracie...I just need to have a pregnancy rant!
I AM MISERABLE!!! My stomach is killing me. But it isn't contractions. Well, a few of them are. My ribs are hurting today, they havent bothered me much in awhile. But today they hurt. My head is pounding and I just want this kid out of me!!!! I am 38 weeks today and I dont know how much more I can take. I have an appointment tomorrow and I hope they send me to labor and delivery or something!! I cant take this anymore. My husband just told me to go turn the washer on and sit on it lol. Im gonna go drive over every speed bump I can find! I want him out and I want control of my body back! I want to be able to see my toes again. I want to be able to shave my legs without struggling! IM DONE!!!!
photo-5_zps5c5014c2.jpeg

I have those same wicker wash baskets!
I also remember feeling the same way. I remember one time, like a week before I had my son, I was sitting the tub shaving my legs and I couldn't get up. lmao, thank god my husband was home to help me up. hahahaha. Well, sometimes I wish he wasn't home to help me because it took me a while to live it down. Just kidding, he still brings it up.

It will be over soon! He'll be here before you know it, you're just having a mega pregnant day! Don't be loco prego! lmao

I don't know much about being pregnant, but I've read that the calcium in tums, and fresh parsley can help induce labor in rabbits. Go eat some of Gracie's parsley :), pop a few tums. Who knows, maybe it will do something. Couldn't hurt.

Latest posts

Back