From cupcake to Gracie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audrinasmommy88

Reaction score
As you all know, i just rescued Gracie. Her original name was cupcake, but I dont think she looks like a cupcake :) I thought it would be a good idea to start a blog for her since I am going to need some help getting her to be more comfortable. Before she was surrendered she was bonded with a male. A dog got into their cage and she saw her mate be killed. Because of this, she is scared of hands in her cage so she will charge you and stomp her feet. She will not bite, which is a good thing. So we are going to work on that.

I just let her out for the first time here. She is staying in the dining room and looks to be having fun. She has not ventured to the rest of the house yet. She seems to like the bottom of the hutch and keeps jumping in and out of it. Its nice to see her out and jumping around.

She did not eat much last night. I did give her a piece of banana and she gobbled that down. I wasn't sure if she was a water bottle or water bowl kind of rabbit, so i put both in her hutch and she will only drink out of the bowl. So bowl it is. I really hope she adjusts well and gets used to us. Ive never rescued a rabbit, so this is all new for me.

photo-3.jpg

photo-1-1.jpg

photo-1.jpg

She looks like she is settling in very well considering what she's been through. I have a feeling this is going to be a perfect love match:)

I love the name Gracie...my Grandma was named Grace...and my cat is named Gracie...love it!!!

I'm so happy for you and Gracie!!! Wishing you both joy and wonders and adventures and fun and bunny kisses as she settles in!!! Yipppeee!!!

Dear Gracie, everything's going to be ok now:)

:brownbunny:heartbeat::brownbunny

Aww thank you Katherine. That just made me tear up a little. Bringing Gracie home has definitely put a smile back on my face. I love her already. Ive been sitting on the floor and talking to her and she seems very interested in me. But not trusting just yet. She will hop to me and I'll reach my hand out to pet her and she will run off. But I am looking forward to working with her and seeing the end result :)

You're welcome!!! I love the pictures of Gracie exploring her freedom!!! Harvey and Halo have really helped me with my grief for Scout...although I still have my moments when the tears come. But it gives me such comfort and joy to watch Harvey and Halo be bunnies!

Katie, the more I look at pictures of NZ I agree with you. I dont think she has lop in her at all. She is holding her ears pretty high today. I am wondering if it was just stress yesterday that was causing her to hold them low

Gracie is simply AdORABLE! :inlove: So glad you were able to rescue her-her coloring/patturn remids me of my bunny Taffy. She's just bigger. :)

Gracie is digging at my legs today. I guess this is a good sign? She wouldnt let me touch her yesterday, and now she is coming to me and digging. Its better than nothing. She is also venturing around the house and doing a little bit of chinning. She is actually chinning my daughters toys, but not any furniture or anything lol

:bunnydance::bunnyheart:bunnydance:

I think that sounds really good! The toys belong to Gracie now;) I don't know if this is true but it always seemed to me that Scout would dig at me to tell me she wanted something--pets, water, treats, dinner, move:)When she did it I'd look around and see what needed doing...if there was nothing, she usually wanted a cuddle.

I think it's really fast that Gracie has already figured out that you're the one to go to when she wants something.

Well, i just tested her...she dug at me, so i reached over and petted her right between the eyes (the shelter said that was her favorite spot) and then I stopped. She sat there for a minute and then started digging at me again. She is definitely making progress. I have made it a point that everytime I walk past her cage I speak to her or I open the cage and pet her or hand her a treat. I am excited to see her starting to come out of her shell. Yesterday and the day before, when we would walk past her cage, she would cower and get really flat. Now she is actually looking to see what we are doing and being curious

Me too. Now if I could get her to eat a little more we are in business. She's not eating pellets or hay now. Just greens. I'm wondering if I should stop giving them until she eats her hay and pellets

Latest posts

Back