EMERGENCY! Wiggles is not moving!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[align=center]Thanks everyone. Thank you also for the info for the emergency kit. I don't ever want to be unequipped in an emergency again![/align]
[align=center]Both vets gave two very contradictory causes... However, no matter if it was a problem about having a stuck kit or cancer, I figured they would find the truth by doing the surgery. He did say that we could try antibiotics first and all that but really, what do we lose by doing the spay? If she does not have cancer, she would most likely develop it quite soon anyway. Also, being with Bam-Bam, being spayed will stop her from having false pregnancies. And, if after all, the vet was wrong about her not being pregnant and all that, he will find out once he opens her up. [/align]
[align=center]I decided not to bother with the x-ray. He said the x-ray would tell us if there was a problem with her lungs but neither of us find any signs of trouble in that area. I figured if it was an impacted stomach, he'd have to open her up anyway. I didn't want to put her through any extra stress so I opted for the spay directly. If it turns out to be cancer, trying antibiotics first would be a waste of money but more importantly is would use up precious time. If it was a stuck kit or something of the sort, they might still need to open her up anyway so what's the difference? No point bringing her home and putting her on antibiotics that could further weaken her by causing diarrhea or something.[/align]
[align=center]I hope I did the right thing. The vet was optimistic about her pulling through the surgery. He was 'reserved' as to the prognosis however. He may charge me 30-60$ extra since he is not doing just a regular spay but checking everything. I couldn't care less I this point. It's costing a small fortune but last night was so heart-wrenching. You can just tell by their eyes when they don't feel well. I'm not ready to let her go at all. She is still relatively young and has a great will to fight. She's already been through so much. I can't just give up on her.[/align]
[align=center]:cry1:[/align]

First of all - it is because of you she is still alive - so you should be commended for that.

Pipp - great job on giving the recipe (I'm going to tuck it away in case I need it someday).

The antibiotics were suggested in case of an infection - like from a stuck kit. In the case of cancer - antibiotics wouldn't make a difference I think.

I'm so glad that she's gettign spayed and I will be praying she makes it through ok.

I'm so happy though that you were able to get her in to the vet....you did so good last night. I know you probably were terrified but you did great.

Peg

Other than a humanchild being ill, I don't think there are many other things more terrifying than our beloved pet being so ill and having nowhere to go, no one to turn to. Bunnies are especially sad to watch suffering.

As for the antibiotics, well she will be getting some anyway I think. I will have to administer meds from home if all goes well. Do you think these will be injections? If so, is it still done in the scruff of the neck?

The reason I am angry is because if it is cancer, I blame myself for not having her spayed. However, I only found out recently! I had NO idea how important it was. I may personally injure every person who sells a bunny without telling the person about spaying (and neutering too)! You better believe that once this is dealt with, Dahlia will be next!

Oh and btw... It's not because of me that she's alive. You all have really helped me out last night whether it was through advice or support. So thank you to all of you. We couldn't have survived the night without you.

MsBinky wrote:
The reason I am angry is because if it is cancer, I blame myself for not having her spayed. However, I only found out recently! I had NO idea how important it was.

Dont blame yourself. Most people have no idea until they come here or another rabbit savvy site for info.A lot of vets dont even know this.

My local vet told me that they dont spay rabbits bc theres no need if the male is neutered. Even they didnt know!

OMG sweetie what an ordeal, my heart goes out to you for all of this you and your baby have gone through. I am crossing my fingers and toes in hopes that all turns out ok in the end :?

Praying for a great outcome for Wiggles and for you. It is indeed a tribute to you and the great care you gave that she survived the night. It's also a tribute to her will to live.

Please do not blame yourself! We all live and learn new things about our rabbits and their care every day. It's so hard to find good info you can trust that is geared to house rabbits except for a limited number of Internet sites. You are making a big effort to learn more about rabbit care and to provide the best quality of life.

Latest posts

Back