EMERGENCY! Wiggles is not moving!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will call a taxi if we make it to morning. She is really dehydrated though. She's on her 4th syringe of water. I can't feel anything at all :?Can it be maybe it's not babies, maybe it's a fur blockage? I dunno. I'm trying to stay optimistic here. I notice that when she's done drinking she repositions, strains a bit and then lies down.

If she's straining - she's most likely trying to give birth - especially given the fact she was exposed to a buck....and the fact she's pulled fur. Does pull fur to make their nests.

I wish there was more we could do to help you - but if you can't find an open vet and take a cab .... I guess there isn't anything I can think of.

Farmers and breeders would have oxytocin but I'm guessing you live in the city.....

Peg

My breeder friend says if you can make it to a convenience store that has pedialyte (for babies and toddlers) - it will have electrolytes in it that will help her....

Can you get to a convenience store to get some now?

Peg

Nope I thought of the pedialyte and all the pharmacies are closed. I dunno if I could get some at the hospital... :?The thing is I was told she wasn't preggy. :?Vet told me she felt absolutely nothing and that the uterus wasn't swollen? or something like that. She said that she needed to pee but that was it. Considering the fact that she had bled she said she had a miscarriage and reabsorbed them. :(I am sooooooooooooooooo frustrated right now.

Grocery stores carry pedialyte and convenience stores (that are open all night) normally carry it too...

Peg

I'm about to fall over so I'm heading to bed here.....I have probably helped all I can help.

I'll be praying for you and your girl. Please get her to a vet ASAP... as soon as they open be there at the door. She can not wait for an appointment - even until the afternoon.

I'll check this thread in the morning when I get up.

Peg

Homemade Pedialyte[/b] recipe

1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. table salt
1/2 tsp. potassium salt
3 tsp. sugar (or flavored kool-aid, not sugar free)

Mix it all with 1 liter water.

Here's a better version:

Ingredients:

1 quart of water
2-4 teaspoons of sugar (or 1-2 teaspoons of fructose)
1 teaspoon of salt

Directions:

Boil water, add sugar (or fructose) and salt, then stir. Let it cool down.

Bunnies like it a little bit warm. Refrigerate what you do not use and do not keep it more than 48 hours; make a new batch.

[align=justify]Bunnies who are not eating or drinking should be given 30 cc/per pound of bunny/per day (e.g., a 5-pound bunny needs 150 cc per day). This is extremely important so the bunny doesn't get dehydrated until you can take the rabbit to the vet.[/align]

Thank you :)She is sleeping with me tonight and she dug herself into her blanket. I prepared the mix. I had started the other and decided I should boil the water so it works for this one. I'm letting it cool now. I'll be giving her some as soon as it's safe to feed it to her.

Do you have baby motrin or ibuprofen? You should give her some. Not sure of the adult dose, I give my little guys (the 2 and 3 lbs buns) about a quarter of a baby Motrin tab.

And it's VERY important to keep her warm. If you have a heating pad or a hot water bottle you can wrap up and put it under her when she's not with you, that will help. (I don't know that she'd cuddle with a microwaved sock full of rice, Naturestee's always great suggestion,but might be worth a shot).

S :clover:

She's wrapped in a polar fleece blanket in my arms. Is that enough? I have a magic bag I can heat up and put on her belly. I just don't want to make her too warm either... What is better?

Just make sure she doesn't feel cold to the touch, if she does, be more aggressive re: warming her up.

Would be good if you can get her to eat a little parsley. Probably won't do much, but you never know.

Do you have pain meds?

You'd better post the prior info here, ie: her age and when her due date was, so anybody else jumping in has all the right info. You're not dealing with a stuck kit or a litter as much as the septic problem at this stage. :(

sas :pray:

Weight: 4.5 pounds

Date with Buck: Between July 7th and July 16th

Friday, August 10th, I took her to the vet's to find out what was going on with her. The vet felt absolutely nothing when she palpated her and decided against antibiotics, saying there was more risk involved in giving it than not since Wiggles was perfectly healthy at the time. She concluded that she had had a miscarriage and reabsorbed them though she did say that you can never be 100% certain in rabbits. She told me to watch for any change and bring her back if need be.

And here we are now... I just put Wiggles back with Bam-Bam yesterday. At first I saw all the fur and started laughing, thinking she was going through a false pregnancy just because she was with Bam-Bam but thenI noticed there was more to it.

Unforunately, I have no children so I don't have any baby stuff. My own pain needs to be controled with prescribed meds so this is what I have in the house: Ponstan, Naprosyn, Excedrin and the rest are migraine meds which I seriously doubt would be useful.

One thing for sure though, I want to make a bunny first aid kit!

Latest posts

Back