EMERGENCY! Wiggles is not moving!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I don't have another. I don't think she won't treat her well though. I was furious with her yesterday but I still kinda understand why she didn't want to give the antibiotics. Next time, I will buy themor an emergency treatment, even if I don't give them to her so that if something like this happens, I have meds on me to treat her.

That's awesome news, hang in there Wiggles.

And don't dumpyour vet just yet.

Loosely quotinga Pam Nock post,we don't know what the issue is. Septic kits aren't all that common, although birthing difficulties are, especially in older does. We've been on an alert because it was the suspected cause of another bunny's loss. But even from my experience watchingposts in this forum, it seems more common to have a doe reabsorb without a problem, although I've neverheard ofbleedingaccompanying that. (When would Wiggles have been due if she really was pregnant?)

Pamcautions that there aremany other possiblities, including uterine tumors or cancer (often easily fixed with a spay). I'll add a Urinary tract infection to the list.

But theyhave tofigure it out and treat it pronto. Obviously. :(

Sorry you're having to go through all this. :hug1

sas :pray:

Thank you

What bothers me is that if it were a stuck kit she would have been in much more pain than this. I am wondering if it wasn't dehydration? I'm still giving her water or pedialyte from the syringe. Anyway, I hope she will find it. I was so unbelievably stressed. I look horrible. I think I'm gonna need more treatment than her.LOL.

MsBinky wrote:
What bothers me is that if it were a stuck kit she would have been in much more pain than this. I am wondering if it wasn't dehydration? I'm still giving her water or pedialyte from the syringe. Anyway, I hope she will find it. I was so unbelievably stressed. I look horrible. I think I'm gonna need more treatment than her.LOL.

Im not abreeder, but I dont think it would necessarily be a stuck kit if its 2 weeks since the delivery date. There are many other pregnancy-related problems it could be and not necessarily be a stuck kit.

If the babies had died inside her, from what Ive read, it would have been nearly impossible for yourvet to know theyre there bypalpating (without an xray).

It is possible this isnt pregnancy related- but you wont know without getting her to the vet (and possibly having an xray done to be sure).

Keeping her warm and hydrated until you can get her there is good. How is she looking this morning?

And hang in there hun, you're doing all you can until you can get her into the vet. How soon can you get a car? Wish I was closer. :(

I called the vet... They were only opening at 10. She says I may have to wait some because they are overcrowded this morning and offered for me to come in the evening instead but I refused saying I don't know what is causing it and it could be a matter of hours in bunnies and she already went through many hours.

She is looking good this morning though. Much better than expected.She's moving around and she's trying to climb on me. She does lie down quite a bit but she is alert at least. Yesterday she wasn't and it freaked me out.

I just got ready and I'm calling a taxi and taking her in. At least if there is an emergency, like if she takes a turn for the worse again, I will be on-site and they can give her something. I don't mind waiting. I kept her going just so we could make it to the vet's today. I promised herthat if she fought with me I'd take her there first thing in the morning.

Thank you to everyone for their help. Thank you Pipp for the recipe. I am sure that helped her a lot.

Btw... Can someone make a good list of things to equip yourself with to make an emergency kit? I could really use that!

Haley wrote:

Im not abreeder, but I dont think it would necessarily be a stuck kit if its 2 weeks since the delivery date. There are many other pregnancy-related problems it could be and not necessarily be a stuck kit.

We're just speculating on whether or not the doe is/was actually pregnant.

However, retained kits can begin to decompose a week or more after the normal delivery date. Once the kit begins to decompose, it can be very difficult to detect by palpating. This is why it is so important to know the doe's breeding date and to be able to palpate at 14 days to determine pregnancy. Then, palpate afterdelivery to determine if there are any retained kits. In some cases, the kits "mummify" rather than rotting.

We had a dead kit surgically removed from a doe 10 days after she delivered the rest of her litter.

Pam

MsBinky wrote:
Btw... Can someone make a good list of things to equip yourself with to make an emergency kit? I could really use that!

I've found Nutri Cal for dogs/cats to be the single most important supplement to have on hand for an emergency.

Nutri Cal helps keep rabbits hydrated and gives vital nutrients when rabbits have GI stasis. It also provides glucose for does having difficulty before, during or after kindling.

It's also an excellent supplement to give to rabbits that are unable to metabolize their food well (including geriatric rabbits).

Pam

Heres some info from our library:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12045&forum_id=10

Another must have is metacam (for pain) which you will need an rx forand simethicone (for gas) found in baby gas meds at your pharmacy or drug store. I always keep baby food and pedialyte on hand as well.

Maybe when you go to the vets today ask about an rx for metacam to keep on hand. Tell her your car situation and how you would love if you could have some pain meds on hand in case of emergency. It works wonders for relieving pain in gas/stasis issues.

hooray wiggles! you go girl, what a trooper. one bad experience, don't worry ms binky. you are such a good mommy to your bun, i hope everything pans out and goes back to normal for you and wiggles and bam bam!!!!

[align=center]:bigtears:[/align]
[align=center]Just got in from the vets...[/align]
[align=center]Wiggles had to be hospitalized. She was pretty dehydrated.Vet says I kept her alive last night with that syringe. Ty so muchagain Pipps for that recipe.[/align]
[align=center]Last Friday she weighed in at 4.5lbs. When I picked her up this morning I was a bit shocked to feel her bones. I thought maybe it was because of her thinning fur but I asked the vet to weigh her and she weighed in at 3.1lbs. :cry4:He told me it was not much of a difference but to me it's a huge difference, especially since it happened in a matter of days![/align]
[align=center]Vet suspects uterine cancer. He thinks she was never pregnant and that it was a false pregnancy the whole time. He said that her uterus was stretched or something like that...[/align]
[align=center]They were going to put anIV inand get her hydrated and then do an emergency spay. He will also check all her other organs and make sure she doesn't have an impacted stomach. [/align]
[align=center]I'm terrified because she wasn't in the best health going in so I am hoping the surgery or anaethesia won't kill her. The vet said this was far less risky than leaving her with a possible tumor.[/align]
[align=center]So now it's all a waiting game.[/align]
[align=center]:bigtears:[/align]
[align=center]I feel soooooooooo bad.[/align]
[align=center][/align]

Hang in there dear, this could still all work out. You have worked so hard, lets just hope that little Wiggles makes it through.

My house is thinking of you....
Take care of yourself while you wait

:pray::pray::pray:

HUgs to you! I am happy things seemd a bit better thsi morning, I hope everything goes well for your baby...

I'll keep you in mind... Please keep us updated.

MsBinky wrote:
[align=left]Wiggles had to be hospitalized. She was pretty dehydrated.Vet says I kept her alive last night with that syringe. Ty so muchagain Pipps for that recipe.[/align]
Give yourself credit. You kept her fighting and hydrated through the night. She probably wouldnot have made it without you.
[align=center]Last Friday she weighed in at 4.5lbs. I thought maybe it was because of her thinning fur but I asked the vet to weigh her and she weighed in at 3.1lbs. :cry4:He told me it was not much of a difference but to me it's a huge difference, especially since it happened in a matter of days![/align]Youre right, the weight lossis a lot. When you think about it, its 1/4 of her weight.
[align=left]They were going to put anIV inand get her hydrated and then do an emergency spay. He will also check all her other organs and make sure she doesn't have an impacted stomach. [/align]The vet said this was far less risky than leaving her with a possible tumor.
Its good that he's going ahead with the spay. He's right that its less risky than leaving her as is.

Also, if its any comfort, my boy Max had a terrible abscess and breathing problems this past spring. He had lost about a pound, like your girl, and they were terrified to operate because of his condition. It was necessary though, he would have died a slow horrible death otherwise. He came through likea champ.

I'll be praying for your little girl. You guys are doing all the right things, no matter what happens. Shes so lucky to have such a dedicated mommy.

Sending lots of prayers and good thoughts your way. I'll be holding my breath as well.

Haley

Latest posts

Back