Chance is going to be euthanized

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keeping in mind I've been pushingforSubQ treatment since my first post, I've also been sayingto find out what's causing the bleeding in the kidneys. TheSubQ and a bladder flush will help the sludge, butwithoutknowing what the kidney issue is, it's still only treating part of theproblem.

As an example, here's a list ofcommon causes of blood in the urine...

Hematuria or the presence of blood in the urine

[align=left]
Bacterial causes:

Urinary tract infection (UTI), by Pasteurella spp, Staphylococcus spp., or other bacteria

Cystitis (inflammation of the bladder)

Pyelonephritis (infection of the kidney)

Acute poststreptococcal glomerulonephritis

Neoplastic causes

Presence of polyps in the uterus or in the bladder

Uterine adenocarcinoma

Endometrial hyperplasia[/align]
[align=left][/align]

[align=left]Blood vessel related causes:

Uterine endometrial aneurysm

Disseminated intravascular coagulation
[/align]

Mechanical causes:

Urolithiasis or the presence of kidney or bladder stones

Renal infarcts

[align=left]Dystocia (difficult labor or birth)[/align]

[align=left]Obstruction of the ureteropelvic junction[/align]

[align=left]Bladder anomalies

Renal cortical necrosis[/align]

I'm keeping everything you guys said in mind(including you Pipp, I promise!), but I have to first find a vet thatwill give mea prescription for the SubQ fluids. I also needto find a vet that will do more extensive tests to get down to the rootof the problem and how much damage has been done, because the onlything we've had done lately is urinalysis. I don't find that thoroughenough.

I am seeing my friend from the rescue'svet on Thursday to doa consultation and to determine if she is experienced enough to takeover Chance's care. She's so much more expensive however, that weeklytreatments and tests may be out of the question. But, I'm going to goand if I find her more knowledgeable I will make an appointmentThursday to bring him in. At this point, it can't hurt considering hiscondition. We have another urinalysis scheduled at my vet for Mondaymorning, so I am going to make the appointment for the new vet onMonday evening or Tuesday morning, pending the urinalysis results andhow my talk about SubQ fluids (again) with my doctor goes.

I really do appreciate all the advice you all have given me, so pleasedon't think I am letting all this very helpful advice go in one ear andout the other. I am trying as hard as I can right now, it's just allone big stressful and confusing situation.

MBH, this might seem like a silly question, butI'm wondering if you've been able to print out the medical info. postedhere (and elsewhere)? Might be a very good idea to keep it all in afile.

Also, did your vet tell you that Chance's intestines were "raw"? if so,how did he make that determination? That's definitely something I'dwant to raise with the new vet.

Continuing to keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers...

EC, he actually didn't do any tests to determinethat his intestines were raw. I actually broughtmy concernabout this up in another thread when I first got Chance. He onlydetermine his intestines were 'raw' because he was pooping blood theday I brought him in, and had tinges of blood in the fecal test a weeklater. No more fecal tests have been done since. :shock:

The 'exoctics' vet I really need to see, besides LSU, is the one in NewOrleans. I've been told that by so many people, including my vet. Butexpensive doesn't describe their costs, and if I go, I want testing andall done by them to get to the bottom of this. And I know I am lookngat hundreds and hundreds of dollars for that.

If you turn Chance in at the shelter...won'tthey send him to a vet? I mean, if you don't have the cash,that might be another option. You can always"adopt" him back when he gets well.

Gussy wrote:
Ifyou turn Chance in at the shelter...won't they send him to avet? I mean, if you don't have the cash, that might beanother option. You can always "adopt" him backwhen he gets well.
Ummm... I appreciate your trying to help, but you're basically tellingme to send my rabbit off to a shelter, let them deal with him, and Ican adopt him again whenever he's nice and healthy. There are too manythings wrong with that sentence. :shock:

Good luck with new treatments. I've been prayingfor you and Chance all week. If it's any consolation, If I hit thePowerball Drawing tomorrow, I'll send you $1000+ so Chance can goto LSU.:goodluck

Again, I'd encourage you to get the IMOM application done .... And I do understand re. the money.

ec wrote:
Again,I'd encourage you to get the IMOM application done .... And I dounderstand re. the money.
I am actually on the IMOM page in the middle of doing the application.But they are asking for things I can't get. They want the vet who willbe doing all the work, that's LSU, to send them a complete itemizedlist and breakdown of all costs and procedures, including any follow-upcare, they want to know how soon should the treatment be completed(which we don't know what he's being treated forto behonest!), the pet's prognosis, AND *proof* of LSU's willingness to workwith IMOM's policies.

I can't get ANY of this stuff because Chance hasn't gone to LSU yet!And I can't GET him to LSU with no money. It'll take vet visits andtests for them to know what treatment is going to cost, his prognosis,and all that. And they won't get proof of LSU's 'willingness to workwith IMOM policies' because LSU has done refused to do that, much lessfax over written proof.

Is there someone you can call at IMOM to tellthem your situation and what they recommend? I'm sure othershave been in your place. Sometimes it's more effective to tryto get someone on the phone than follow their 'by the book' procedure?

Nadia

I just posted in their Introduction forum.

I went looking for a number, but IMOM states they only have one meansof contact -- filling out a form. I posted on the board instead, as I'msure I'll get a response quicker that way.

I think that lots of people have been in yourshoes re. not knowing exactly which vet will take a case when dealingwith a university clinic (or similar situation). don't let that keepyou from finishing the app. - I doubt you have to have "perfect"answers for IMOM.

EC, it's not that they won't take the case. It's that I can't afford it.

The way IMOM works is, I get a diagnosis, fill out the application andsend them an itemized list of what the vet found. If they approve me,they'll pay for the TREATMENT.

The problem stands that I can't afford to take him to LSU to even gethim DIAGNOSED or seen, in order to get what the diagnosis is and thebill of what it'll cost to treat him.

IMOM also requires that LSU agree to wait until IMOM sends them a checkwhen the treatment is over. LSU refuses, and IMOM must have a copy fromLSU stating they agree. That won't work, since LSU doesn't agree.

Danielle, I understand - I'm trying to addressyour concerns about not being able to fill in every single blank on theapplication. Surely "LSU vet clinic" (with a brief explanation) wouldwork?

I used to work for the federal government - and learned that sometimes,all that's needed is some kind of response, including "see above(question # whatever) for details."

You sound a lot like me, in wanting to dot every i and cross every t.Sometimes that's not possible - just fill out the app. to the best ofyour ability, and go for it! :)

MBH..I think that you are doing a really reallygreat job of attempting to get all this info together ,takecare of Chance and fill out IMOM forms also.

I agree that its necessary to get to the bottom of exactly what is wrong with his kidneys.

I was thinking that it would really be helpful if you knew his past history.

Is there any way you can find out any details
about his past life.

He could have kidney damage from eating something that wasposisoned..there are just so many things that could have happened tohim.
The more knowledge you have the better.

I am not a vet but if someone is peeing blood it doesnt mean that theirintestines are raw. it could mean a UTI, a reproductive disease orcancer , a kidney or bladder stone etc.
If someone is pooping bright red blood it usually means a problem in the lower intestine or anus..could mean a tumor etc.
I am talking about people not rabbits but I don't think that rabbits are any more simple in their symptoms than people.

I know you are overloaded but is their anyway that the shelter couldtalk to the horrible person who owned hm before you to determine whathe was exposed too.

It could be helpful in a diagnosis.

Yeah, the New Orleans vet we talked with saidthat what my vet found and done was about what he believed was correct.But that concerns me, considering everything I've researched shows myvet is wrong. Such as giving an acidifier, and saying a rabbits peeshould be acidic, not alkaleine. For the New Orleans vet to agree justmakes me more concerned about him as well.

Latest posts

Back