Chance is going to be euthanized

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBoyHarper

Reaction score
And I am dying inside. Ican't even think logically at the moment.

The vet did a urine test this morning and the entire tube was almost completely sand. His pee was solid red too. He's going into kidney failure again, but this time the vet has run out of options. He's back on antibiotics and more urine acidifiers but he's only getting worse.As of this morning, he's back to grinding his teeth and shaking in a corner. I am heart broken.

The vet said he's out of options and clues and my only option is to bring him to the LSU Vet School. They are one of the top veterinarian clinics in the country, and also one of the most expensive. People walkout of there with bills in the thousands.

LSU is usually alast resort for nearly anyone with an animal that haschronic problems. I would take Chance in a heartbeat, but I need about $600 - $700 for the visit and tests. Money that I just don't have. I spent the day talking to Care Credit and every other 'help' place, and was turned down the second I said I didn't have a job. They'll help you, but only if you're employed, have proof, ect.I talked to a bank about a loan but my credit is bad, I looked into a cash advance, but I'm not employed. Everywhere I turned was a brick wall.

Chance is due back to the vet on Monday for one last test, then we are driving down to New Orleans, which is about 4 hours from where I live now, to see a vet recommended by the HRS. He's expensive but is supposed to be a pretty good exotics vet. They agreed to take a look at all the tests MY vet performed and to see what they can do/figure out. They said they aren't hopeful after looking at the paperwork and seeing what has been done already.

They also agreed with my vet, he needs someone higher up such as LSU,who have way more tests, tools, and field of expertise with exotic rabbit problems.

After all that, the vet and I talked about if the tests just continue to get worse Monday, and Chance is still in continuous pain, we may just have him euthanized. It kills me, but seeing him in so much pain and there's nothing that can be done is just as heart breaking.

I've held him and kissed him all day, and I am just... dying inside.

I can't even afford the New Orleans vet, but I am selling everything I own and can think of on eBay tonight with a 3 day auction. And the NO vet agreed to post-date a check until whatever money I make comes in. I hope it's enough.

Chance has become my heart... my heart bunny. He goes everywhere with me, he follows me everywhere, we eat dinner together, we watch tv together, go to the stores together, we go car-riding together... he's become like my best friend.

I can't really think of anything else to say...

oh, i am so sorry. . . i know how much he means to you.

just remember that you have showed him love and a chance to love someone back.

i hope that the new vet can think of something.

if i had money to spare, i would loan you some.

Jeez MBH. Now I'm bawling even more. I'm so so sorry. I can't even begin to imagine the pain you're going through but I am so sorry.

t.

Hugs, hugs and more hugs :tears2:

I know exactly how it is to feel you can do nothing more for your heart bunny, I lost mine a month ago.

Remember the support here is amazing:group:, thinking of you!!

I'm so sorry MBH. If this is the end of the road for him, at least know that you made him happy and gave him a worthwhile life. That's the best gift you can give. I hope it doesn't come to that, but with his serious health problems it's probably going to come sooner rather than later.

:hug2:

I know I've given him a loving life full of treats and toys and love and affection, but it's only been TWO WEEKS.That kills me. He's such a beautiful loving rabbit who only wants affection and love from anyone he meets. He deserves more than just two weeks of happiness, he deserves years of it.

I've been on the phone all day and the New Orleans vet doesn't appear optimistic about the outcome, and his attitude is almost like it's not even worth coming in because he doesn't know anymore than my vet. I'm still going to try to go, but he's making me feel like it's a waste of money. And that money could run into hundreds -- money I don't have fora vet to tell me there's nothing they can do.

If I could, I'd save that money and try to get to LSU, as they are the only ones who appear more equipped to deal with his illness and seem more confident in beingeable to possibly treat it. But I have no idea what type of money we are talking about in the end. It could total close to $1,000.

If this were an old(er) rabbit, this may would be different. But test sreveal he's young, maybe 2 years old or so. And he lived his life so horribly, and has only known happiness for 2 weeks in his short 2 years on this earth.

I just feel like... I don't know what I feel, but I just feel like I should do more. And I can't, I'm trying, but I just can't. And I feel like I am letting him down and nothing can or ever will take that feeling away.

I'm so sorry. Even so, I know we've all seen the difference you've made in Chance's life. Chance could have been much, much worse off at this point in his life.

Even so, I'll be praying for you and your whole bunny family.

I'm sorry to hear about this. Can the shelter help in any way?

Since the NO vet is saying you shouldn't go there - should you perhaps save the money towards the really good vet and see if they would taket hat as a deposit and work with you?

Peg

I'm so sorry to hear about all of the things you and Chance have to go through, hun! :hug:

Much love and support to you and your boy.

I hope all goes well with this new vet. Me and the boys will be praying extra hard for you.

I have an idea how you may be able to make money. Ever thought of selling your photos of your buns? Like in larger sizes? Or in black and white portraits? You take awesome photos! I think people would definitely want to buy prints if the money was going to help Chance!I could even make a website for you to post them,people could email you the print they want, shipping info, etc, and you can do all the money transaction through Paypal. If you're interested, or need any help artistically (I'm a graphic design and photo retoucher) LET ME KNOW! I'll be online tonight too. My AIM is lalena2248.

:(I'm so very very sorry ..I was looking up the acidifier when I got this post , I think that you have done what you can for him and a great dealmore
Sometimes an animal has too much damage already to bring back normal organ function;sometimes there is so much damage that it is irreversible

This is sad for me because you have your heart in him. I feel worse for you than him because this is going to tear you up . Just remember that he had love for awhile and thats the most important thing

I don't know you well MBH but just remember that this whole forum feels your pain and that we areall here for you all the time

You will make the right decision and we are all here to support you

Chance is one lucky bunny because he hashad you to love him and care for him even if it turns out to be short time

:cry4: So SadChance ishaving so muchdifficulty. Heis living thebest part of his life with you. Glad you had your camera when Chance wasat hishappiest moments. Hang in there MyBoyHarper.

66014.jpg

Praying for Chance. :pray:

Oh my gosh, I'm so sad for you! As everyone has said, what a great life he's had over the past weeks because of you. I read the note from the person who suggested selling pictures. Actually,I had thought the same thing a few days ago back when I was looking at your Chance thread. Could your rabbit rescue place set up a fund raising day for Chance where people could bring in their bunsto have theirpicture taken? The lady who does the bunny pictures for the humane society here does such a cute job by setting up a little background (a colorful blanket usually) and then has some little props,like around Valentine's Day she had that of thing. Or could they put the story on their web site. Since so many people sent good wishes to him from all over the country, maybe some would be willing to make donations? Weren't they also doing a news article, maybe they could put his new needs in the paper as a follow up. However, if his health is just at a place where it is his time, he's had two week of comfort andl ove.

Oh, Sweetheart...this so aweful to hear....

I know that at this point, nothing I say will help...but just know that I love you and am here for you...

:bigtears:

Im soo sorry,a couple of years ago our pony got badly cut, we were advised too put her down or send her too a vet school which we could not afford.we took care of her here.the bill was over $1000 not counting bandages etc.we had too put her down anyway the infection ate away her ligaments.3 legged horses cant support all the weight on the other 3.the new vet said she might be saved but she was in soo much pain i knew it was time too let go.its a terrible decision too have to make.bluebird

Oh no! That's terrible. Poor Chance. And poor you. What a terrible thing to happen when things were going so well. :sad: :hug2:

I can't even to begin to imagine what you're going through. I wish I could help, but I don't even live in the same country as you. :(

Poor Chance. He got abused and neglected, and, when he finally gets a loving and caring owner like you, this happens. It doesn't seem fair.:tears2:

I'll be thinking and praying that Chance recovers :pray:

Rachel.

Can you do some sort of fund raising through the humane society?

OH! What about that one site that helps out bunnies in need? Where you can nominate them? Someone posted a topic about it...I will try to find it!!

I'm praying for you, so hard! I wish I could do more.

- Amy

EDIT TO ADD: FOUND IT!http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=19334&forum_id=1&highlight=nominate

It may be that Chance doesn't have much time left no matter what is done, however, MBH did say they were doing a newspaper article about him and that makes me think that it wouldn't hurt to notify the person writing the story and ask for another article for him to raise money for medical care.

Then again maybe this is his time to go to the bridge.....:bigtears:

Latest posts

Back