Cat litter and bunnies, do they mix?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Kathryn Yarnton, May 22, 2018.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. May 22, 2018 #1

Kathryn Yarnton

Kathryn Yarnton

Kathryn Yarnton

So, I have two lovely cats, Garfield and Prism. But recently I picked up a rabbit, his names Omelette - we call him Ommy for short. Anyway, he wasn't litter trained when I got him, and so I have been encouraging him to use his litter box (shredded paper and timothy hay) but this morning when I opened his cage - as he has free roam of our room along with the cats, he peed in their litter box. I have read that clumping litter can be bad for bunnies, but he only peed and did a few poos in it.
    I want to know if its okay if they share?
    Ommy isn't eating any of it, I clean it daily, and the cats are still using it.

2. May 22, 2018 #2

JimJam

JimJam

JimJam

If he thinks it is safe to use the cats litter as his own litter, then I would let him! Rabbits know what what they are doing and he could've just done it this once. just make sure you keep cleaning the litter tray daily and it should be fine :)

Kathryn Yarnton likes this.
  3. May 22, 2018 #3

JBun

JBun

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I'm afraid it really isn't safe. Rabbits have been known to die of an intestinal blockage due to inadvertently consuming clumping litter. Even if your rabbit doesn't seem to be eating any of it, it can accidentally get consumed if it somehow gets stuck to the feet or bum and gets groomed off.

I would suggest either moving your cats litter boxes so your bun can't access them, or change your cats litter to a rabbit safe one such as Feline Pine or Yesterdays News.

Kathryn Yarnton likes this.