Bunny Birthing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe she is too tense for it to come down.

Would it be feasible to put the baaby in the nest and to put her on top of the nest and give her treats and stroke her to keep her in the same place and relax her?

WhenI tried that with my doe though, she freaked out and ran away. She went back to feed them when it was quiet and felt right for her.

Make sure that you keep yourself calm and not stressed around her.

If the only way to do it is on her back, is she calm and relaxed?

Try puttingthe doein the nest box and just gently hold her head. Place the baby under her and let her nurse naturally. Stroke Momma's head and keep her calm. Let the baby nurse for 4-5 minutes, and let the momma hop away. Keep it calm and quiet and give Momma a treat when she is done (make it a pleasant experience).

The mum wont stay over the nest long enough to let the baby nurse :S

the nest is full of fur too, so its hard to get the baby out in the open and under the mum. Shali I get a small box, and put a bit of fur and the straw in, and sit mum over that?

That would work! Use a clean, small box and just sit her in it. If you can give her Cheerios or some small treat... anything tokeep her calm and still. I prefer to gently hold their head (they think they're getting petted) with one hand and keep a hand near the baby (just in case).

i got bitten. Splat isn't what you'd call a calm rabbit. I put the baby back and made it clear to her she had a baby in the nest. Splat nuzzled and licked the baby, then hopped off. Im just going to hope she doesnt hurt it, and realises that she's a mum, and she has to feed it.

If the baby doesnt seem to have been fed properly by the morning, i think i might do it myself and hand rear her. I'll have to run to the pet shop during my morning free, and get a rearing bottle and some more powder milk for her :).

I just wish she was bigger than she is, she's a tiny baby!

While it will not hurt to have stuff on hand in case you have to hand feed the bunny - I would do all that you could to have mama feed it. I've had does that didn't want to feed at first and after about 3 days or so they got used to the idea that they had babies and they had to feed them. Really...mama's milk is so much better for them.

Do what others have suggested - put mama in a box or basket with some treats and have the baby underneath mama. You might to put a piece of fabric on the bottom of the box simply to keep baby warm while he/she is nursing.

I've had to do this before every 4-6 hours before - in order to keep the baby full enough till it got a good nursing. Then I went to 8 hours apart and then 12 hours apart, etc.

I'm glad you have experience with hand rearing but still yet, I'd do all I could to have it get mama's milk. If mama is nuzzling it - that is a good sign.

Peg

I would agree that mom's milk is the best possible option. Have everything on hand for hand rearing, and supplement if necessary, but keep trying to stimulate mom's milk production.

I've fostered a litter where mom seemed to not be making much milk. I took mom and put her over the babies at least twice a day and kept her their for 5 minutes. The babies never looked as fat as some babies, but they had lots of energy and grew at a good rate. They plumped out more when they started eating solid food.

It is normal for baby rabbits to feed on one nipple for a few seconds then root around for another. So baby should be suckling on one, then look for another and then another. Especially when there's a small litter, this will help evenly drain all breasts and avoid infected mammary glands.

--Dawn

The baby seems to have been fed during the night :D. The kit is plump, but not as plump as it should be. I've decided im going to get all i need to hand rear, and supplement the baby for now. I like that idea, i can make sure she gets enough food, and it can grow up with its mum :).

If the baby has been fed, that is terrific. Remember that she is a new mum and she needs to learn what to do. she might be a mum that feeds the kit twice a day.

Keep and eye, by all means, but please only intervene with supplements if it is the only option left. It carries so many risks to do that, and I know you have done it successfully before, but it's not all down to the skill of the person raising the kit, it's down to luck too. Give mum a chance to prove herself because she could turn out to be excellent.

I agree with Flashy... give the mom a chance. Nothing wrong with having the supplies on hand, but don't rush to suppliment. Supplimenting with formula will cause the baby to suckle less, and may cause the moms milk to dry up. The mothers milk is much richer than any formula you can buy, as well as better forimproving the baby's immune system. Hand reared babies tend to have a lot of issues as they grow.

I'd give the momma 48 hours, keep any eye on the baby's belly, and then re-evaluate. Could be the baby is just not a heavy suckler at this point, could be the momma's milk is taking it's time to come in (with only one baby nursing, her body may not feel the demand yet). I would err on the side ofcautiousness andwait.

^_^ will do!

She's been fed again during the day whilst i've been at school. I've bought the stuff I need just in case, I can always send it to my RSPCA center if i dont use it :).The baby has plumped out a bit now, and is REALLY active; it cant stop moving! Splat isnt too bothered about me going in the hutch to check anymore, especially if I have a piece of carrot or banana (dont ask, she goes mental for the stuff). So, yeah, one happy healthy baby!

I'll post pics when my computer is working properly :)

Wonderful! So happy to hear she's "getting into the groove"... LOL!

:great: YEAH!!!! Splat!!!!!!!!

*claps* I'm so pleased =D. I've had the baby out whilst my dad cleaned the front of the hutch where splat has been doing her 'business', and it's so active and squeaky!

It's already getting the idea that it has to hop, not walk on all 4 legs :). It's really funny watching it half hop, but when i hand reared Splat, the excersize did her good, she could out run her brothers and sister at a third of the size! I hope I have another athletic bunny on my hands, they're so fun!

Awww I'm really happy about how the baby is looking :biggrin2:

:camera :camera :camera Some Photo's would be very nice if you could..... :bunnydance:

Baby Day 1
BabyDay1.jpg

Day 3

BabyDay3.jpg

The pics are a bit rubbish, so i'll get some much better ones soon =D

It's got really odd markings, but if i'm right, its going to be white and grey, like its daddy :D. I dont think there will be much brown on it at all really, but I might be wrong.

Comeaftermeanillgetya.jpg

The one on the right is Splat :). The one next to her is Panface (seriously, don't ask. Nickname that stuck o_O... I cant even remember what I was going to call her!), big fat sister :D

MumandherLads.jpg

Hmm, Here is Gran in the middle, Uncle on the Left, and Daddy on the right :). I have no good pics of them separately. This is an old pic, as you can see, the two lil lads are really small compared to them now :). Daddy is now a lot darker and very very muscly.

Yes, I have one weird, but none the less cute family of bunnies :). Accidents happen I suppose... ^ Was an accident that ended up in my first 4 babies, now another one! No one's fault though really, these things happen!

I've inadvertantly showed you 6/7 of my bunnies. I'll show you grandad too, just for the hell of it.
Beckham.jpg

You have beautiful rabbits, you can definitely see the family resemblance :) And yup, definitely a butterfly kit. You can tell what the markings will be by thedifferent pigmenton the skin (as I'm sure you know) and it's so exciting to see them grow up like that (my kits were also butterflies).

You should start a blog for them/the kit if you haven't already :) I'm really glad she is doing well.

Latest posts

Back