Bonding Aggresive/Stubborn female Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tryingmybest

Reaction score
Hi.
So I have two spayed female bunnies both roughly around 2 years old. I have tried bonding them multiple times doing different methods but to no avail.

1st time (3months)
This was when I acquired the second bunny Dr.Yang. I set their enclosure next to each other but to make they do not touch and can only smell one another. I let their enclosure be like this for 1 month and no fights ever broke out so I decided to switch blankets and litter boxes intermittently between then for the next 2 months. I also tried a dating meet up in a small enclosure which ended very badly. They started chasing each other and bitting one another. It ended with Dr.Grey having a wound on her nose.

After that I stopped bonding and still kept their enclosure near each other and continuously change their items around. I stopped for roughly 2 months and started again after they started sleeping near each other and being okay with their nose touching each other. There was occasional boxing moves between the two but were never too serious.

2nd try
I decided to use a friend to help bond them in which I hold one bunny and my friend hold the other one we petted them both next to each other and let them smell one another once awhile lasted for 15 mins. Then after that the next day we tried feeding them near each other to try and distract them and that was fine as well. Finally we tried another meet up and again it ended up in a fight with fur flying everywhere, mainly Dr. Yang attacking and charging at Dr. Grey. But there are moments where Dr.Grey tries to hump Dr. Yang and assert dominance.

After the 2nd fight we stopped and waited another couple of months and now we are starting again with our third attempt

3rd attempt
We started with the bathtub very small space and stress bonding them. We put Yang and grey in the box and move it around for 30 sec and when it is done we put them in the tub. There have been fights where fur is flying places but we break it up with a dustpan and put them in the box to stress bond again for 20 sec. we did this for 10 mins and we ended the tub bonding with Yang grooming herself and grey just sitting still in the corner. We are gonna go in for a second tub meeting later today at 8 pm. And will try car bonding we are more determined now but any tips or suggestions would really help. I need help and I have been searching up bunny body language and trying my best to understand and get them to bond.

Sounds like you have a couple of very stubborn girls!

I do hope you have success, but if you don't, it doesn't mean you did anything wrong. Sometimes 2 rabbits simply refuse to get along.

Stress bonding is a questionable method that, while promoted on the internet, tends to only work with rabbits that are already inclined to get along -- that's been my experience anyway. I've found that for the more difficult bonds, stress bonding only serves to give their human a false sense of them getting along. But once the stress is removed, they tend to go right back to not getting along.

I'm not saying it can't work, just urging caution. Here's some further info on this subject that may shed some light or provide more ideas.
https://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/stress-bonding-what-does-it-mean/

I have bonded with success and struggles with my group but boy and girl is always easiest. A dry tub with a blanket down to prevent sliding. Pet both rabbits and talk softly to them. After a about 5 to 10 minutes according to how well it goes. Put back in homes and then date again later in the day. Until success and then short visit elsewhere. Then the first night together I rested near so I knew all was a success. There was humping but it all worked out. A laundry basket is good too. Put them in it and slide real easy on a carpet floor to distract them and talk quietly to them. Reassure them all is good! Happy bonding.
Years of Joy now!

Back