BK very ill (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me Three! I've been thinking about him a lot.

To everyone interested in BK's health, I am sorry if I have not updated more regularly, I am doing so as often as I can.

Bk and my family arekeeping me very busy.

Its a longish story but I have been`hunting to find out what is wrong with my little blue man.

He has lost another 28grams in 24hours ( I use a kitchen scale to weigh my buns once a week).

I am trying camomile tea and tummy rubs.

Okay I wanted to post that before I lost it as my wireless is playing up and have limited internet access,

Anyway there is a possibility that my BK has been poisoned!!!!

A neighbour said she saw me picking Dock and Dandelion for my buns every day.
She told me of a neighbour who has been recently spraying his weeds with the deadliest of poisons and he mentioned to her to warn me NOT to pick the weeds from his house. He too has seen me weed hunting for my buns.

Anyway last week I got a bumper crop of goodies for my buns from up and down the street including the poisoned weeds.

I am usually extremely careful about where I get their food from.

One weed called Puha here is one that only BK loves.
Jazz won't touch it and Kruger won't either.

Its good for bunnies and its Bk's favourite so he gets it a few times a week.

Well you can see where I am going here.
Its quite possible Bk has ingested weed killers!

Off to vet soon.

Will update asap :(

thats terrible however at least you have a better idea of whast it could be.

Does anyone know can you use activated charcoal on bunnies? as thats what you use on us when we are poisoned, and it takes away all the poison kind of sucks it up into the charcoal then i guess you pass it :?.

sending :hug:and :pray:

Oh no!! :(

I hope they figure out a way to help him...keep us posted, okay?

:pray::pleaseplease:

OMG that's so scary! That's why I am so funny about what I feed the bunnies. My mom's dog got poisoned from going out in her own yard and my dad had sprayed part of the yard heavily. She never even got on that part but it was strong enough for a little dog to get really sick.

:pray: Little BK....

Eeeeekkkkk!!!!!! I can't help much here!!!!

Mabey some will come along, have you tried to PM Pamnock, or JimD? I know that they're very knowledgable (so is every one else here too) they might know!!

Get well soon,

-TK :pray::clover::hug2:

IF this is poisoning, the blood tests have not detected it.

Bk is not getting worse which is the good news.
I am going to change the title of this thread because I REFUSE to lose this little bun!!!!!!

He IS eating a bit and I am giving him bran flakes to soak up any residual poison and to get his gut moving. He loves them and has eaten a few teaspoons. He is recovering some of his fur loss but overall he is very warm to the touch and ever so sluggish and sleepy.

I am doing what I can, not much insight from vets, they are bafled by his down turn and are suggesting another course of antibiotics.

I am not sure but might go for that, I have them here.

Not sue about the charcoal, I also have that at home in case the children are ever likely to swallow poison, will Pam, JimD and Randy about poisoning and what I can do,

This is all very distressing but as always I am hopeful and ever vigilant of even the slightest changes too suggest that he won't make it.

Oh dear. Sounds like a good plan. I don't know anything about this to help you any, I'm sorry.:hug:

Thanks for updating us, we're all concerned about you and BK. I'll have you guys in my thoughts and prayers:(.

:pray:

Does anyone know anything about weed killers and pets ingesting the stuff?

BK is hyper ventilating but seems otherwise okayish, ie he is nibbling on foods and drinking a bit of water.

He weighs 1.8kg down from 2.3kg 2 weeks ago.

I am desperately hoping that if he has ingested anything nasty, it will eventually leave his system and he will recover!!:(

He has been urinating and his droppings look a little rounder and softer but not even close to his normal output.

He is so warm too, his ears are hot to the touch and he seems to be trying to fight an infection.

He is back on a course of antibiotics because I don't know what else to do.

Going to head for the homeopathics if he does not appear to be improving very soon.

Pumpkin is on the menu but needs to be syringed in.

He is licking water out of my cupped hands and yeah....I find this all much harder than when he was attacked by the cat because then at least I knew what to do and what the problem was.

Usually I post over RO and like to welcome new comers etc etc but for now, I am wrapped up in getting BK better so will only be focusing on this particular thread for the time being.

Sorry.

Did the vet give you any clues as to what to do? DId he do xrays, was he positive it was poisoning?

Cool water on your hands then put it on his ears should help if he has a bit of a temperature.

I don't blame you there is plenty of other people to say hi to newbies and post just work on getting him better:)

Can you ask your vet about the charcoal? or try pming Randy maybe he would know

polly wrote:
Can you ask your vet about the charcoal? or try pming Randy maybe he would know
I'm a bit out of my league with this kind of issue.
Sending lots of prayers and good thoughts.

Make sure you check with a real expert on the charcoal. It's recommended now as the #1 treatment of ingested poison, but it can have many adverse affects.
It should also be used as soon as possible to take full advantage of it's benefits.

Just a few of the things I found:

Some activated charcoal products contain sorbitol. Sorbitol is a sweetener as well as a laxative, therefore, it may cause severe diarrhea.

Charcoal may interfere with the absorption of medications and nutrients.

Activated charcoal may cause swelling or pain in the stomach.

Charcoal may cause constipation when taken for a drug overdose or accidental poisoning.

with charcoal, in humans they only use it wihtin a certtain period of time whilst the poisons are still in the sotmasch, after thst its not useful as the poison has alrerady been fuklly absorded. im fairly cewrtain it eould be too late in this case.

i really hope BK pulls through and keeps fighting. he';s a special guy with a great psirit, if anyone can amke it, he will.

keep us updated.

poh, and dont worry about anyr5thign else other tshn you and bk because there comes a timewhen your buns and your lives have to come first overa forum. there's only one of you, but loads of orther poerople here, so just focus on bk.

off to vets AGAIN!!

Thank you for all the advice.

BK backbone is now visible, he is simply wasting away, we are doing more sub q fluids today and further quesses into his condition.

I feel so sad. Poor little man, he is so unhappy, not even walking anymore, just crouching in the box by my bed.

Oh, hun. I'm so sorry. It really isn't fair :(

Latest posts

Back