BK very ill (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemonaxis

Reaction score
Not really much to say and very hard to type...

My baby is losing weight, is disinterested in everything, tests all come back normal.
$200 later and he is 250g lighter.

He is sick and I don't know whats wrong with him...

I am not myself.

He may not recover.

Symptoms: Loss of appetite, listlessness, losing fur (too much), sleeping too much and just letting go it seems.

Have not let the kids know as it is my sons birthday tomorrow...sigh.

Have you got him on Nutri-Cal? I think you can get it there, but it may have another name. It's a vitamin/calorie supplement for cats and dogs, works great for bunnies.

What exactly were the tests? Bloodwork?

Has he hadX-rays?

Dental issues very often don't show up in a visual exam. Is he (or was he before) appearing interested in food and then disinterested after a few nibbles?

Are his wounds all healed up? Any chance of a deep abscess?

Poor bunny... Poor Lisa... :sad:

sas :tears2:

Pipp wrote:
Have you got him on Nutri-Cal? I think you can get it there, but it may have another name. It's a vitamin/calorie supplement for cats and dogs, works great for bunnies.

Ditto to that.

:pray:

Have you had the vet do a fecal sample? The cat that bit him might have had parasites.

Poor little BK - We're praying for him!

Ooohhh...BK's recovery from the cat attack has been one of the highlights of the past few months. I am so sorry to hear he is not well.

Prayers and positive thoughts being sent his way. Snuggle him for me and tell him he's loved all over the world. Tell him to keep fighting for life.

Keep us updated.

-Mary Ellen

My first thought was the same as Bo B Bunny....parasites. We have seen some of those little nasties cause weight loss, fur loss, upset GI and just being a blah bunny. I normally do a fecal but they are not totally accurate every time. And in many cases, it is cheaper just to deworm them.

Randy

Randy, I was also thinking that cat bites are some of the worst bites you can ever get from what I hear. I saw a thing on television where a lady was helping an injured cat and she nearly lost her hand because it bit her - she was/is a pianist.

However, if it were infection, I would think there would be indication near the bite site. Is that normally the case?

Oh and would you just use Ivermectin?

RIGHT!!!!!

Nutri-cal or its alternative is what I am after.

He has been dewormed but it was a while ago so will be deworming him again.

He has had a full range of blood tests but no xray but vet did check his skeleton manually to see if she could find any broken bones.

GI is a major issue, he has tiny small hard poos and hardly any pee.
Been syringing him water and pumpkin.

Thank RO members, I am lost without you, its hard to think straight when your heart bun is sickly.

I love BK so much.
Probably too much.

There ya go! Bo did that same thing when he started molting and all.

Worm him, get his body going. I actually gave Bo some oats just cause he would eat them. If you are getting poos at all that's GREAT - let's just get them fluffy now LOL!

Poor BK!!!

First take a deep breath. I think you might want to get some liquoids into him. I know that that's imporatant in humans. is he sheding? What Bo B Bunnysounds like what somethimes happens to my buns when thye go through a seriouse shed, well not at all this bad, but still.

Worms might be a possiblity.

I'm not much help here.

Hang in there, BK's a very specile bunny! And I think that if he's strong enough to handle a cat attach, he can handle a little cold!!

Sending Lots of good Vibs your way,

-TK

Vibes:

:rainbow::hugsquish::clover::bouquet::magicwand:

:sunshine::pink iris::hug::inlove::rose::purplepansy::brownbunny

:groupparty::hug1:bunnyheart:heartbeat::goodluck:anotherbun:big kiss::pray:

I keep thinking "sub-q fluids" when I see this thread... Poor BK, and poor you.

I'm hoping and praying for a good outcome.

As for loving him "too much," there is no such thing, in my book, at least.

I'm so sorry BK is not well. Will be :pray:

BK is no better but no worse, tracked down nutir-gel which is hopefully the right stuff and will be picking that up soon.

He did urinate this morning which is really really good.

been dewormed and am feeding him a bit of pumpkin, lots of water available, very diluted fruit juice and trying to encourage him to eat some hay.

I can see his back bone and feel his ribs!! Wondering how this can happen so quickly.
He was fine a few days ago and I thought he was a little off colour as he was moulting.

poor little man, he is being kept warm and I have seperated him from Jazz so I can monitor his input/output and just keep him settled.

He is grinding his teeth when he urinates and I am very concerned about kidney problems.

I am going to search on RO for kidney related inforamtion, GI stasis and well anything I think might help.

I lost my whole post:X

You might try some cranberry juice....it might help if it's a UTI.

Try wetting down some parsley or his favorite veggie.

Try lightly misting his hay with diluted juice or tea (chamomile or mint)

Someone else mentioned sub-q....I'm thinking the same thing.

Continuing to send prayers and good thoughts.
:pray:

~`Jim

Also very gentle tummy rubs. I laid Bo on me and reached my hand under him and simply petted him with just a bit of pressure. He hates his tummy touched, but laid there and enjoyed the tummy rubs.

Believe me - Bo is pooping like a champ now!

Latest posts

Back