Baby lops (with pictures)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your not to far away from me with those little buns :] to bad my mom doesn't want more :[

The injury is to the back only, not the genitals. I've just been watching it, and he seems to be doing well, so I haven't done anything..

I checked everyone a few minutes ago and one runt looked a little off and didn't have any milk. The injured guy had a little milk, but not as much as most of the others. One runt had a HUGE milk belly, so she's doing well for herself! I gave the runt and injured guy a little nursing time with mom, which mom was more calm for. Both filled up eagerly, and I returned everyone to the nest.

I know that all the babies might not make it.. and I know that if they don't it's not my fault, it's a big litter and it's nature. But I am really pulling for them. I would be devastated if we lost any.. I know that's just the way it goes, but the irrational part of my mind tells me they all WILL make it, and that's what I want to see. I cared for a litter of 15 baby rats, with one very unfortunate baby who was injured by her mother. I syringe fed that baby for days to get her strength back and all 15 (large litter) lived and did well.. so I'm hoping for a repeat.. though I know baby rabbits are more fragile than baby rats.

I do have rolled oats, so I'll offer mom some.

And now for what everyone is looking for: Pictures :)
Very exciting.. much more color today! Looks like 5 broken, 1 harlequin, 2 fawn?, 2 gray/black? The fawn color surprised me. I wonder what it will turn out to be.. any ideas? Very cute though.
litter.jpg

litter2.jpg

litter3.jpg

a runt:
runt.jpg

my injured guy:
injuredfawn.jpg

injured guy:
injuredbabe2.jpg

Injured guy:
injuredbabe.jpg

Harlequin:
harlequin2.jpg

harlequin.jpg

oh for petes sake you are killing me, i think you have a fondness for the injured guy,lol, he is cute i love the pic of him all snuggly in your hand. Best of luck and i hope they all make it

I do have a fondness for the injured baby, but also the tiny runt and the runt the next size up :) And the harlequin..
The smallest runt(4th photo above)nursed this morning on his own. He didn't have as big of a belly as everyone else, but he has a noticeable milk stripe.
The second smallest baby had a giant milk belly again, so I think she's going to pull through for sure. The injured guy had a full belly, too. So the main one I'm concerned about is the smallest one, but he's fighting,anyway.

When babies are lost, when does it usually happen? After what age does the likelihood decrease that we'll lose any (from it being a big litter)?

Aww, wish I could drop by and nuzzle the little cuties - I love to her their little squeaking noises when mom shows up, lol.

Oh my gosh, I don't know how much more of the cuteness I can stand....my daughter is getting tired of hearing me 'ooohhing' and 'ahhhing'...then she comes over and starts in with me 'cause she's a sucker for babies like her momma, lol.

haha, I feel the same way every time I see them. I thought my boyfriend would get sick of hearing me say "look how adorable they are!" but he seems to agree with me :)

I don't want to have to give them away :( I'm a horrible foster parent. I've already adopted a foster rabbit.. but I'm thinking we'll be adopting one more...

Thanks, but I do always question myself because I know I get too attached. If I had a little more self control.. but I worry about where they'll end up and I always think "what's one more".

I know bonding will be difficult with a third rabbit, but I can't see NOT keeping at least one of these little babies. And then I start to wonder, well, if bonding doesn't work, the little one will need a companion.. so how about two? Haha, so you see how I fail as a foster mom.

I'm writing as a zombie because the cuteness killed me.

They are so so so sweet and precious!!! *squees*

Seriously, rabbit train out to Iowa anyone? :p Man if it were possible I would totally adopt one or two.

wow they really change and grow very fast! I agree they are much cuter by day 4, they look less like jelly babies too haha

I should be about to leave the house but I got distracted by looking at all these photos... they look like they are made of silk, are they ridiculously soft?

I enjoy the daily photos... I haven't had baby bunnies so it is very interesting to me. keep them coming :)

Yeah, I actually expected them to grow slower. I never had a litter before this, either, so it's all a surprise to me. I was gauging based on the rat litter I cared for, but these guys seem to be growing faster.
I will keep posting the daily pictures :) I've been trying to do them about the same time each day so it's close to 24 hours apart. I like comparing the new pictures to the first pictures. It's so funny that it's only a few days difference.

I wonder what you would see if you could just sit and watch them for 24 hours? Would you notice the hair growing?

Time-lapse photography would be wicked cool for this case.. then you'd be able to see them grow right before your eyes.

My dog LOVES tiny babies :)
mimiloves.jpg

litter-2.jpg

My favorites <3
favorites.jpg

babies-1.jpg

Harlequin-2.jpg

awwwe they are so precious!

this is your first rabbit litter... and there are 10 kits? mamma bun threw you into the deep end. you are doing a really good job, they all seem healthy and thriving. keep up the good work.

I think the change between days 4-5 is less drastic than between some of the other days. interesting... thanks again for the update :)

Oh my word...that picture of your dog watching the babies is tooo precious,seriously...you have to stop posting this because my daughter & I are dying lol - I want to hold one SO bad:inlove:

crystal wrote:
this is your first rabbit litter... and there are 10 kits? mamma bun threw you into the deep end. you are doing a really good job, they all seem healthy and thriving. keep up the good work.

Yes, haha.. and the first rat litter I cared for had 15.. so it seems to always end up that way for me. I am glad I got the opportunity, though. I would never breed rabbits. I leave it to the experts. So this was my only chance to experience baby bunnies from day one.

Anneq,
My dog was found as a stray with seven puppies, so I think that's where her affinity for small fluffy things came from :) I would have loved to have seen her pups, I bet she was a great mom.

Latest posts

Back