Baby lops (with pictures)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DazyDaizee

Reaction score
First, the pictures:
10tinies.jpg

babies.jpg

tinybaby.jpg

tinybaby2.jpg

Mommy.jpg

The humane society had 8 rabbits surrendered. 2 gave birth within days. They fostered out both litters. A third was VERY pregnant. I offered to foster (the alternative was the babies were euthanized when they were born, or an emergency spay was done.. in which case the babies would have still been alive and died a horrible death). Needless to say, this didn't sit well with me.. so here I am with a litter of ten.

The babies will be adopted out by the humane society when they are of age. They were born TODAY 7/23/09. The mom is so sweet. Mom and dad are both lops (don't know who dad is, just that all rabbits surrendered were lops). Looks like there will be a lot of brokens, some nearly solid gray/blacks and perhaps some whites or light colors.

If anyone is interested in adopting, please get in touch with me. There are ten babies and I want to see them go to trustworthy, rabbit savy homes. However, I have no say in where they go, as I have no ownership of them. If anyone is interested, the adoption goes through the humane society, but I can probably have a rabbit reserved until you can fill out adoption applications. The shelter is in Lowell, MA.

Thanks!

I wish you were closer. My daughter wants a bunny. Another bunny. Lol. I was just looking on Petfinder today.

Edit: the momma is gorgeous!

Theres actually a bun that looks EXACTLY like her at the OSPCA here, just her age is 'unknown' and thats a big risk.
Anyways, back on topic. I think you'd get alot more 'offers' if this was in the 'rescue me' forum.
*waits for a mod to walk by*.. teehhee.

wow they are so small. they look like jelly babies...

good on you for taking the mum and giving the babies life. bless you. I'm sure you'll have fun watching the little ones grow up too... I hope you are proud for giving them a chance at life!

Actually.. I think there might be a few harlequins.. PEW and Harlequin are my favorites :)
I'm a little worried about some of the runts. Most everyone had milk bellies except for two. One got roughed up this morning.. his mom grabbed him accidentally when she was rearranging the nest and he has a little gash and some bruises. I'm keeping an eye on it. I tried to give the two of them a little KMR since it didn't seem like they got the chance to nurse with the rest of the babies. I don't think I got a lot in.. I was worried about them aspirating, so I went VERY slowly and didn't force it.. which basically meant it was mostly trickling down their chins.. I'm hoping for the best...

Could you get the two who had less food a bit of special nursing time? ie, have just the mom on your lap and take just those two out so they have a chance without all the other siblings getting in the way? Also, I've heard that esbilac puppy powder is better than KMR for bunnies.

If it's just one with injuries and it doesn't happen again, I wouldn't worry about it. It may have just been an accident.

Would you like me to move this somewhere?

They really are adorable, and kudos for fostering them. One day I'd like to foster a doe and her babies but it's a lot of responsibility! It's my only chance to have baby bunnies, though.

I'm sort of afraid of taking the babies out with mom since she isn't used to being held, and I worry that she may accidentally injure the babies if I try to let them nurse while I hold her..

I know it was an accident when she injured the baby. I saw her rearranging the nest, she had paper towels and hay in her mouth and went to grab more, grabbed the baby and he started to scream. I had to go over to grab her so she'd realize and let him go. He's one of the smallest in the litter though and doesn't seem to be nursing well.

I just took him and the other runt that didn't seem to be getting enough milk and gave them some more KMR. I have read different things about milk substitutes. It seems like nothing is really ideal.. but the rescue suggested KMR, so that's what I picked up..

I think the thread will be fine here for now.. I'm probably going to have questions that are best answered here vs the adoption forum. When they get older I'll put a separate post in the adoption section.

Thanks!

And I agree.. fostering was the only way I'd every experience baby bunnies, too.. since I'd never breed, so it was something I was excited about, but at the same time, it was life or death for these buns.

Okay.. I held mom and let the two babies I'm most concerned about nurse. I think they each got a decent amount of milk, though mom got very stressed. She did kick, like I expected, but I tried to keep her calm and cupped each baby in my hand so they were protected and didn't get hurt when she started kicking.

Question.. is it normal for them to go nipple to nipple frantically? They both settled at the end, but kept going from one to the next, then would stay on one for a bit, then move to the next..

Also.. aside from free feed pellets, hay, and plenty of veggies daily, should I be giving the mom anything else? She is thin and has been gorging herself. I got Kale & Romaine, but I don't know what else to offer her..
Thanks!

All babies nursed from mom this morning and all had good size milk stripes. One runt (not one of the two I was originally concerned with) had a smaller belly than the rest, but at least got a decent amount. Crossing my fingers.. I want them all to live...

You can try taking all the babies but the two you have concerns about out of the nest (maybe have a separate nestbox ready to put them all in) and then encouraging mum into the nest using things like treats. That might be less stressful for her.

Don't supplement them unless there is a reason to. Right now mum seems to be doing a good job. Hopefully she will be feeding them twice a day but you'll have to keep an eye particularly on the smallest ones that they are getting enough food.

It is normal for them to shuffle about between the nipples because they are looking for the best one that will give them the most milk. That's where survival of the fittest also plays a part because the smallest ones will get pushed out the way by the bigger ones.

Given you have put pictures up so VERY early and whilst they are teeny tiny I think it now becomes the RO Law that you have to regularly update us with pics of the babies as they grow :D

Thanks for the advice Flashy!
I really didn't want to give the KMR but after checking on those two a few times yesterday and they just looked so thin with no milk stripes, I figured it was necessary. Luckily now today they fed on their own, so hopefully they'll continue to do well.
I plan to take a few pictures every day when I check them.. so here are a few from yesterday. I haven't taken any today yet..

Day 2:
CIMG6047.jpg

CIMG6050.jpg

CIMG6052.jpg

CIMG6056.jpg

CIMG6057.jpg

CIMG6066.jpg

CIMG6068.jpg

CIMG6072.jpg

CIMG6075.jpg

injury:
CIMG6077.jpg

The two I was concerned about:
CIMG6078.jpg

Injured baby again:
poorman.jpg

Is the injury on the genitals? Are you doing anything with it?

They are very cute :D There are definitely brokens in there :D (my personal fave). I can't wait to see them grow and their ears lop :D

This is very pessimistic, but 10 is quite a big litter for a bun like that (as far as I know, although some breeders may correct me on that) and it would be expected to lose one or two along the way. Obviously it's a case of trying your hardest and doing your best for them (and you never know, they may all get there), but if you lose any its not going to be down to you, just down to mother nature.

Flashy wrote:
This is very pessimistic, but 10 is quite a big litter for a bun like that (as far as I know, although some breeders may correct me on that) and it would be expected to lose one or two along the way. Obviously it's a case of trying your hardest and doing your best for them (and you never know, they may all get there), but if you lose any its not going to be down to you, just down to mother nature.
I agree - 10 is a lot for momma to take on, if all survive then that's fantastic, but please don't beat yourself up if all don't make it.
I wish I could take one, but our landlord has set the limit :( - my daughter lives up in MA but her landlord said no to rabbits, cats or dogs..sigh.
Good luck with those bunnies - they are adorable.\

p.s. might want to also supplement mom's diet with some old-fashioned rolled oats - my doe really seemed to appreciate it when I put that in her feed while she was nursing her young ones.....now, ALL the buns go crazy for them. I also put a pinch of barley.

DazyDaizee wrote:
Also.. aside from free feed pellets, hay, and plenty of veggies daily, should I be giving the mom anything else? She is thin and has been gorging herself. I got Kale & Romaine, but I don't know what else to offer her..
Thanks!
I was wondering if you could give her oats? Old fashioned, not instant. Just a suggestion. Your doing a great job! :)

Latest posts

Back