Am I going to have babies tonight?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know she's not over weight, Im just saying that's what Im going threw right now with my dutch. But dutch's can easy get overweight. I'm just trying to help :)

TinysMom wrote:
Well - Athena just made her nest and had two very large dead babies. It broke my heart to see her licking them to try to get them to wake up.

She may still have some more as she was fairly large and she's acting like she still is in labor (not hard labor - she's just not settled down yet like a doe who has had all of her litter does).

I tried giving her two of Harmony's kits to see if maybe she would nurse them which would help stimulate the others to be born. No go...but she does seem happy to think she has some babies.

This is heartbreaking - my first time mama does great - my doe that is a great mama - loses hers.

I suspected she might since today is day 35.
Awww I am so sorry :(

Hopefully she has more in there. :innocent

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
Tessie wrote:
BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
Was the rescue pregnant when you got her, or did you breed her yourself? I'm just curious, because while it was good to rescue her, I find it irresponsible to have bred her. ;) If she was already pregnant, are you going to spay her after this litter? I think that would be best, because it's really irresponsible, especially since she's a mix. ;)

Emily

Who are you asking ? If it's me heck no i did not breed her I have had her two weeks and she is ready to give birth.

i just reread your post so I'm guessing you are not talking to me because my rescue girl is full blooded Mini Rex. She is beautiful and perfect.

Tessie

I was asking anyone with rescue's who are pregnant. ;)

Regardless if you got her that way, she probably isn't having purebred kits... Are you sure she's purebred, by the way? And just curious if she will be spayed after this litter?

Emily
just curious, why is it iresponsible ? do they turn out sick or do people just dont breed mixed breeds?

butsy wrote:

just curious, why is it iresponsible ? do they turn out sick or do people just dont breed mixed breeds?
It is considered irresponsible because there are so many rabbits in shelters that need homes - and why breed a mixed breed rabbit when there are so many that need homes.

The forum's "unofficial" policy which we've never really come out with a statement about - is that we support rescues and we support breeders who are breeding to purposely improve the breed.

Also, many times people who are doing mixed breed bunnies just want "cute babies" and aren't willing to educate themselves or have funds on hand to handle vet emergencies.

Well just curious but don't you all think it is a little irresponsible then for breeders to breed rabbits that are already well supported by other breeders such as Hollands, and NDs... not to mention the fact that some breeders actually dispose of babies that are not good representations of the breed. So really is it just for the benefit of the rabbits that breeders breed.. to improve the breed itself and to prevent extinction of a species.... or is it more for the perfect rabbit to win BOB or BIS and feel like WE did a great job and be proud of our win??

Its a little difficult to determine what we are really doing this for isn't it? I think its probably both. We do it because we love the rabbits, and want to improve the breed, but that is also for ourselves, because the breeding world is a community of itself. We have friends among the fellow breeders, and there is a youth royalty, and friendships made, and scholarships awarded, so in a way its for us too. And when we want to tell people that they are irresponsible for what they did sometimes we need to look at the mistakes we made along the way in ignorance, like letting a rabbit accidentally get pregnant, or letting a doe get a bit too chubby so she can't breed, or breeding a rabbit to soon after her last litter, perhaps showing a split penis buck not knowing what split penis is, and realizing that because we didn't know that we had bred him. I think to many people aren't simply irresponsible as we coin them, rather they just don't know and realize that certain things are not good ways to improve the breed or care for the animal and minimize the overpopulation. I know I let a doe get too chubby and didn't understand why she wouldn't take. Once a breeder finally told me she was to chubby and won't take because of that I fixed it and had to cut her feed to decrease her weight and she took after that. Along my journey, I have relied upon the kindness of other breeders to guide me into this world of rabbit breeding and showing. If it weren't for their kindness and guidance along the way, I would probably still be making some of the same mistakes and perhaps eventually giving up. Sometimes I think we forget the reason we got into breeding, and how someone helped most of us learn the ropes. I will always be grateful to the breeders who have helped me along my journey and I hope that I will be able to help other new breeders along their journey. We can all learn from one another, and that is what I think is one of the best things about our community!

Lishka wrote:
Well just curious but don't you all think it is a little irresponsible then for breeders to breed rabbits that are already well supported by other breeders such as Hollands, and NDs... not to mention the fact that some breeders actually dispose of babies that are not good representations of the breed. So really is it just for the benefit of the rabbits that breeders breed.. to improve the breed itself and to prevent extinction of a species.... or is it more for the perfect rabbit to win BOB or BIS and feel like WE did a great job and be proud of our win??

Its a little difficult to determine what we are really doing this for isn't it? I think its probably both. We do it because we love the rabbits, and want to improve the breed, but that is also for ourselves, because the breeding world is a community of itself. We have friends among the fellow breeders, and there is a youth royalty, and friendships made, and scholarships awarded, so in a way its for us too. And when we want to tell people that they are irresponsible for what they did sometimes we need to look at the mistakes we made along the way in ignorance, like letting a rabbit accidentally get pregnant, or letting a doe get a bit too chubby so she can't breed, or breeding a rabbit to soon after her last litter, perhaps showing a split penis buck not knowing what split penis is, and realizing that because we didn't know that we had bred him. I think to many people aren't simply irresponsible as we coin them, rather they just don't know and realize that certain things are not good ways to improve the breed or care for the animal and minimize the overpopulation. I know I let a doe get too chubby and didn't understand why she wouldn't take. Once a breeder finally told me she was to chubby and won't take because of that I fixed it and had to cut her feed to decrease her weight and she took after that. Along my journey, I have relied upon the kindness of other breeders to guide me into this world of rabbit breeding and showing. If it weren't for their kindness and guidance along the way, I would probably still be making some of the same mistakes and perhaps eventually giving up. Sometimes I think we forget the reason we got into breeding, and how someone helped most of us learn the ropes. I will always be grateful to the breeders who have helped me along my journey and I hope that I will be able to help other new breeders along their journey. We can all learn from one another, and that is what I think is one of the best things about our community!

I have always wondered that myself - why its irresponsible to breed mixed breeds, but you can breed as many purebreds as you want as long as you're "trying to improve the breed". Anyone can breed purebreds, then, as long as thats what you claim to be doing? What if you never make any real improvements? Any purebreds you cull/sell are taking the same place from a shelter bun any mixed breed rabbit would.

Daenerys wrote:
Lishka wrote:

I have always wondered that myself - why its irresponsible to breed mixed breeds, but you can breed as many purebreds as you want as long as you're "trying to improve the breed". Anyone can breed purebreds, then, as long as thats what you claim to be doing? What if you never make any real improvements? Any purebreds you cull/sell are taking the same place from a shelter bun any mixed breed rabbit would.
Look at it like breeding dogs, it should be done only responsibly and not to breed as many babies as you can. for what ever reason. A few litters here and there placed in good homes, and breeders SHOULD take back any bunny if the need arises. I do rescue work, and breed responsibly rats and bunnies. I breed them to improve the health and temperaments and so on. And to make them look better (but the health, temperaments and long lives come FIRST).

HOWEVER this post is about waiting for babies not who is right or wrong, (make a new post for that)

I have babies due in like 10 days >_< sooooooooo long......

Rattiemattiesrattery wrote:
Daenerys wrote:
Lishka wrote:

Look at it like breeding dogs, it should be done only responsibly and not to breed as many babies as you can. for what ever reason. A few litters here and there placed in good homes, and breeders SHOULD take back any bunny if the need arises. I do rescue work, and breed responsibly rats and bunnies. I breed them to improve the health and temperaments and so on. And to make them look better (but the health, temperaments and long lives come FIRST).

HOWEVER this post is about waiting for babies not who is right or wrong, (make a new post for that)

I have babies due in like 10 days >_< sooooooooo long......
10 days!! so close, yet so far away :p

I wasn't arguing right or wrong Amanda :). I was simply posting an opinion on breeding and babies so that some of the rescue moms with babies coming didn't feel so bad. And to answer Daeny's question, breeders who are working on special projects will sometimes breed 2 different breeds together to improve upon one or to introduce a new color.
:bunnyhug:

I also have babies due!! She should have kindled today. I hope there are little chins in there in the morning.
:stork:

Back