Am I going to have babies tonight?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone :biggrin:

Howwill I know if she is caring for them? It will break my heartif I find dead babies. Should I watch her with a flashlight to see or just leave her alone . Well i will not sleep tonight .

You will know if she's caring for them because she will be feeding them and their bellies should look like little ping-pong balls. Usually does will not feed their babies until about a day after she has them, so don't worry if they aren't looking fed the day or two afterwords.

Unfortunately, dead babies are a common given when breeding rabbits - especially with a does' first litter. It's sad to find dead babies, but it's just something you have to get used to when you have a pregnant rabbit. ;)

I would just leave her alone for now, and just check on her when you feed. If you keep bugging her, you'll stress her out. Don't use a flashlight, either.

Emily

Definitely don't watch her with a flashlight as you may totally stress her out. You may also still have a few days to wait if she is only on day 28. Hope everything goes well.

Sabine wrote:
You may also still have a few days to wait if she is only on day 28.

Agreed. 31 days is the average due date. All litters I have hadwere born on the 31st, and I make the 31st day their official due date. 28 days, she should have a nestbox in her cage, though, as well as plenty of hay for nesting material. ;)

Emily

*** I would put a nestbox in on day 26 or 27. You have to make sure the doe doesn't pee in it, but I have two does that kindle at 10 pm - 3 am night 27. If I held off on the nest box, I'd wake up to a nest in the corner, and babies crawling off the wire and dying on the ground below.

Then again, I also have does that'll go until day 30, 31, even up to 34. Each doe tends to have a schedule, but they can still vary within that schedule. It's always good to be prepared.

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
Sabine wrote:
You may also still have a few days to wait if she is only on day 28.

Agreed. 31 days is the average due date. All litters I have hadwere born on the 31st, and I make the 31st day their official due date. 28 days, she should have a nestbox in her cage, though, as well as plenty of hay for nesting material. ;)

Emily
Yes I learned all of that with my first posts. She has a great nestbox that she has been setting up for two weeks . I know that sounds early but she is great with it. I have it attached to the outside of the cage to give her more room she is in my bedroom.

I think tonight is it :)I cleaned her litter box probably I should not of did it.I just caught her sitting in it licking her bottom. I put my hand near her nestbox and she went in it batting my hand.

I am setting on needles and pins. :pray:should i leave a dim light on in my bedroom it is very dark in there.

Latest posts

Back