A New BLUE Litter!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
delusional wrote:
I don't think pet shops should sell big bunnies.. just with how long they'll be there and all..

I agree. People don't know what they are getting themselves into with a giant rabbit. They are solaid back and very special... but they do need a lot more room and dietary considerations while growing...(IMHO).

It's tough to put a price on a companion animal. I think a good home is priceless and I take that into consideration. Pet shops are there to make money... but it can be hard on the rabbit to be there so long. (I was told it's easy to sell the giants as babies or as adults...everyone wants a BIG one...but not inbetween... so that can leave months that the rabbit sits in the pet shop...)

I'd love to have a flemmish (particularly one of these adorable babies!) but I don't have the space for one! I hope one day we move to a bigger house and I have a room just for my bunnies!

Flashy wrote:
They sell them for £129.99 in Pets At Home, so no room for spontaneous buying. I desperately wanted him (I've always wanted a massive bun) and he looked so laid back and sweet, but I'm not sure I could justify exactly why I got another rabbit, lol.
Because you needed a BIG bunny to hug and snuggle with.

Honestly - I just love the personality of Flemish Giants and I so wish I lived closer to BlueGiants- cause I'd want to get a bunny from her.

Wow - its hard to think of their ears already being over an inch long....my lionhead's maximum ear size (for show) is like 3.5 inches....

They are stunning :inlove:!

And I can't get over how much flems cost around the world! I've never seen one for more than $60 NZ (probably about $45 US), normally they are $50 here or you can get a neutered one from the SPCA for $40.

I Agree Peg! What a BARGAIN!!! (But I don't want to tell you what they do with $20 bunnies around here...:()

Awww Cathy they are gorgeous and so big!! can't get over teh size of them on your hand or the size of the ears!! what are they weight wise by 8 weeks usually?

I usually expect 5.5 - 6 lbs (2.7 kilos?) at 8 weeks, but have had a few that made 7.5-8 lbs at 8 weeks.

(Actually, the blues have historically been smaller than other colors. But that is one of the things I've been working on foryears. And my blues are finally making excellent weight in comparison to other colors.)

blooming heck Cathy thats as big as Sully is at 6 months :shock:they must grow really quickly what do you have to do with their feed? as you were saying early about their dietry requirements :)I am so nosy but I just love learning about different breeds :biggrin2:

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I'd love to have a flemmish (particularly one of these adorable babies!) but I don't have the space for one! I hope one day we move to a bigger house and I have a room just for my bunnies!
I want one, too! I've already told Will that I am going to get a flemmie as an "introduction to larger pets". He has to wait to get a dog lol

Hooray for more peeking eyes! Soon they'll be all over! :D

Aaaaah they are so cute! I can't believe how big they are at so young already! :shock::shock::shock::shock:

Flashy, our P@H sells giants too... Currently they have a Giant Papillon, called Dotty, and she is GORGEOUS. She's an adoption bun, but they charge the same price, £129.99 for them to discourage impulse buys for the novelty that they're big etc.... If it wasn't for that price me and Steve would probably have gotten her the other week.... It's not that we can't afford the cost of keeping her, it's just the outlay is too much for us lol! She is BEAUTIFUL though.... we are in love.... but I'm not sure that now is the time to be bringing more rabbits home lol....

Oh wow...$20...I'm envious! Teeny, though he was technically pet quality (due to his fur not being one specific color, but a marbling of blue and fawn), was $95!!

And I don't understand why someone wouldn't want a Flemish from itty bitty baby size. It was SO FUN watching Teeny grow from being a baby kit! I've not had that with anyone else. I knew him from barely-past-newborn to just after a year of age. Watching him grow was just something else! :)

What beautiful sweeties, Cathy...you know how I love those blues! :D

BlueGiants wrote:
I Agree Peg! What a BARGAIN!!! (But I don't want to tell you what they do with $20 bunnies around here...:()
From what I remember when I bought him (and I hounded them to get a flemish even though it meant driving over 2 hours one way)....it seems like they had an overage of bunnies (they had five different breeds) and the husband (who bred the flemish) knew I was already driving quite a distance to get him. I think Tiny was the only pet quality male they had (and she refused to sell a female as a pet).

When I got him - he was about 6 pounds if I remember right...so he wasn't overly huge - but he was so unsocialized.

Someday I hope to get a socialized flemish giant or flemish giant mix at a younger age....

This might be a dumb question Cathy but you can have a Flemmie as a house pet right? Im assuming it would be just like having a beagle running around?? lol. I would be worried because I have seen how some rabbits flip out when you pick them up...I would be afraid of what those back legs would do. Are they different in the way they handle themselves because they are so big?

Flemish make great house pets, if you have the room for them. The do require a "little" more space than the average rabbit. But they tend to be really laid back and good companions. (There are a number of Flemish House bunnies on here! Ask Tiny's Mom, Maherwomanor Carolyn...)

You always have to be careful how you lift ANY rabbit. And you do have to be preparedwhen you pick upthe extra weight of a Flemish. But generally, they do great indoors. Very adaptable bunny. They get love attention and make themselves right at home and part of your family.

BlueGiants wrote:
Flemish make great house pets, if you have the room for them. The do require a "little" more space than the average rabbit. But they tend to be really laid back and good companions. (There are a number of Flemish House bunnies on here! Ask Tiny's Mom, Maherwomanor Carolyn...)

You always have to be careful how you lift ANY rabbit. And you do have to be preparedwhen you pick upthe extra weight of a Flemish. But generally, they do great indoors. Very adaptable bunny. They get love attention and make themselves right at home and part of your family.
Once you have a flemish giant litter-box trained - I think it is great if they can have the run of the house like a cat or dog. They really enjoy it and many times they will stay close to you once they bond to you.

It dawned on me the other day that even before I felt Tiny & I had bonded - he would frequently sleep within 3-5 feet of my computer desk so he could be near me. I thought at the time it was just because he liked sleeping under the table....but the more I thought about it- he only slept there if I was at the computer.

But its important to remember that like dogs and cats - flemish may start to think the couch and recliner and stuff are theirs...to do whatever. Tiny used to sleep on the couch when I was gone (I came home once and caught him on it) and sometimes in the recliner at night too. He felt like there was nothing wrong with that....after all - it was his house...

In fact - here's a picture of the look he gave me once when I caught him up on the recliner..

June2005bunnies073-1.jpg

My point? Flemish don't know they're rabbits. They think they're just short people with fur on....and so can't understand why the need to be caged...

Latest posts

Back