2020 Indoor Cages... add your photo!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dad and i just finished completing Storm's condo roof. Now he cannot get outside his dorm at night.
We used natural walls from the two heat sources, one of which is never used and the other not used in warmer seasons when we're there, third wall is armchair lined with (floor cardboard?) And the last long wall is also made up of two sheets of that "floor cardboard" (dunno what it's called here, basically was used to line floors and rarely even walls of old houses. Our floor here is just painted floorcardboard. "Põrandapapp" in our language.)
Whilst the roof is now a 1.2*1.2 cm squares "pvc-coated rodent fence." The roll was 1.2*2.5m and we used up almost all of it, so i'd say the "apartment" as i like to call it is just comfy enough to spend the night in. He free roams when we're there and awake.
His "curfew" is at 22.00 when he gets his dinner and goes in. We go to bed right after that. He has no area rugs at the moment because otherwise he pees on them instead of in the box, he has hay toys in there for the night, other times he gets baby blocks, tossables, balls, hanging and hay toys. (We wanna sleep soundly at night so he wouldn't do way too much noise.)
I'll also replace the upper door with mesh so we could see each other.
If all goes well he'll also get a buddy-in-training by august.15951867489497395406284004971707.jpg15951867795935628821694505246251.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 44914 View attachment 44913 Xpen-80x80 panels . Lino underneath to protect oak floor and mats to give bunnies grip out of litter tray. They now free roam this room 24/7 although we’ve yet to bunny proof the rest of the house.

Curious do most of you not have trouble with bunnies chewing baseboards or do you only have them free roaming when you can supervise? I see baseboards exposed in this photo.

My bunnies don't bother with the baseboard. They have found that destroying the pen's spruce??? (Harilik kuusk) wood sides is a more fulfilling activity.

My rabbits free roam my room and I feel like I change their setup every month but I like this one, hopefully it’ll stay 😅

I used three shelves on my storage thing to hold a little bed, their litter tray (they can both fit in it) and their water dishes. Then on the side is their hidey houses and a digging box. I’m going to get a rug but Athena isn’t litter trained yet so it might be a few weeks.

Attachments

• 233901FD-EA32-468E-B664-FE98F28E0CBC.jpeg
    233901FD-EA32-468E-B664-FE98F28E0CBC.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 33
Here’s Silver’s current set up. His cage is 2ft x 4ft then he has a 4ft x 4ft pen area. His cage is always open so he has access to the pen. His pen is open about 15 hours a day on average.

One thing I feel like we don’t NEED his cage but do you think will he be upset if I take it away? He used to hide and sleep in it a lot underneath the black elevated level. But now that he’s gotten used to us he sleeps out in his pen against the bars or under the ramp. Just sometimes on top of that elevated level. I had a hidey house in there but I took it out since he wasn’t using it much. It’s next to our couch now in case he wants a place to hide. What do you think keep or get rid of the cage????

Attachments

• 79A7DF01-3B50-4C55-B743-C593F91993D4.jpeg
    79A7DF01-3B50-4C55-B743-C593F91993D4.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 28
I would take it out of the x pen area,
but still have it to where he can see it (but put the things in the cage into the x pen),
then do whatever you want w/ it

Here’s Silver’s current set up. His cage is 2ft x 4ft then he has a 4ft x 4ft pen area. His cage is always open so he has access to the pen. His pen is open about 15 hours a day on average.

One thing I feel like we don’t NEED his cage but do you think will he be upset if I take it away? He used to hide and sleep in it a lot underneath the black elevated level. But now that he’s gotten used to us he sleeps out in his pen against the bars or under the ramp. Just sometimes on top of that elevated level. I had a hidey house in there but I took it out since he wasn’t using it much. It’s next to our couch now in case he wants a place to hide. What do you think keep or get rid of the cage????

You could always try it and see how your bun likes it. But keep in mind that rearranging a rabbits area can sometimes affect their litter habits and suddenly set off territorial marking, as changing their area can sometimes make them feel insecure or upset. Some buns are fine not having a cage for a home base, and some prefer to have it for the sense of security it provides.

You could always try it and see how your bun likes it. But keep in mind that rearranging a rabbits area can sometimes affect their litter habits and suddenly set off territorial marking, as changing their area can sometimes make them feel insecure or upset. Some buns are fine not having a cage for a home base, and some prefer to have it for the sense of security it provides.
Maybe I’ll just wait then at least until he’s been neutered! We’ve been lucky this far with his litter habits! Also I understand I might need to restrict his movement for a day or so post-op?? The cage might be helpful for that.

Just a reminder...

...this thread should be just photos so anyone looking for ideas can easily scroll through plenty of pictures and not have to wade through lots of discussion.

Please start a new thread if you have questions or would like suggestions on a setup.

Elliot is only 11 months (he was neutered at 6 months). We live in British Columbia Canada! Elliot is still in his adolescent destruction phase and I have 2 dogs so free roaming isn't an option since we all share a space. I am always looking for new ideas and ways to make his home better however we just sold our house and moved and our space situation is VERY limited so he's in this xpen at the moment with free roam when I am home (most of the time). I just got him a new tunnel/house and am crocheting him a new blanket :) I am hoping my husband will build me something for Christmas for him. All my decorations for his cage came from AliExpress.

Attachments

• buns1.jpg
    buns1.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 32
  • buns2.jpg
    buns2.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 32
  • buns3.jpg
    buns3.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 32
My buns are in the process of being bonded.
Kookie is freeroam in my room since I have had him much longer and he is litter trained. Bandit stays in a large pen with a tarp since he is working on litter training. I am planning on freeroaming them both if the bonding works out.
View attachment 44783
Hi! This is my rabbit’s set up! By the way I’m sorry about the lighting.. So this cage is made with galvanized sheet metal molded the the correct size for the base of this cage. On top of that there is a layer of soft towels, and on top of that I put a waterproof table cloth (That my bunnies don’t eat.) The cage in total has eight square feet of floor space. It is currently split in halve as you can see in the photos because I am going to fix my male very soon.

I love the sign!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back