ZRabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ellay wrote:
I want him. He is so precious!! It makes me want to adopt a friend for Elena.

Same goes for your Elena. Shame we live so far apart, I would love for them to meet. They could listen to music together, and we could laugh at the antics they both pull. I'd bet Elena would teach Neville a few moves like she's showed us on the videos. Still love that flop and roll. lol

K:)

Haha! Those two would be so funny together :biggrin: But the cuteness factor would be so high that I'm not sure any of us could handle it. Our hearts would melt instantly.

ellay wrote:
Haha! Those two would be so funny together :biggrin: But the cuteness factor would be so high that I'm not sure any of us could handle it. Our hearts would melt instantly.

Have to say I agree with you on that one. lol

He is so adorable!!!!! And you can definitely see the difference between his mane and his baby hair. When he's all done shedding/growing, will the only area without the long hair be across his shoulders and back area?

He has the sweetest, cutest face! I'd be spending most of my time driving him crazy by kissing him. Love his flyaway locks. :heartbeat:

He should have shorter hair at the shoulders and back (saddle). We will see what will happen as he grows. The single mane lionheads have the short fur like the Netherland, but Neville being a DM, I believe it will be quite different. Only time will tell.

Once he hits that 6 month mark and when I've really examined Luna at the same age, I'll be able to see who has the good traits and who are lacking some of the conformation. ie: Neville's ears which still have wool on them.

Still in the studying period with my lionheads. I'm in the process now of joining the ARBA. I've got to be a member of 5 years before I can even petition for a COD. Then I've got three years to get my rabbitry ready. I've been reading that Chocolate Tort is a hard color to do, but there is a way which is explained in the Guidebook. Lots of good information from those who already been there. I believe no one has a COD for that color. Will see what will happen in 5 years time.

Also I read that 2013 the Convention will be near you? Should be really interesting.

K :)

BTW, I was giving him kisses and hugs just now. You caught me! lol

ZRabbits wrote:
Today our Neville turns 11 weeks old.   It feels like he's been with us forever.  He looks like he's getting so big, but he's got LOTS of hair and wool

BUNNYS1341.jpg

In this pic it shows his length.  He's really not that long but the skirt makes him look long.  Which would be an issue if he was 6 months old showing as a Junior. 

BUNNYS1347.jpg

Here you can see the mane forming.   Also you can see there is still wool on his ears. 

BUNNYS1336.jpg

This pic shows how the mane is getting longer since we brought him home.

BUNNYS1343.jpg

I wanted to show you his face.  At 10 weeks his facial hair is receding, but double manes do hold their face hair longer.   

BUNNYS1336.jpg

Had to show another view of his back and mane.

BUNNYS1345.jpg

As I'm reading the guidelines I'm studying Neville as I do it.  I'm looking forward to keep track of his growth, physically and mane and skirt. 

He was a pistol today.  Trying to get him to stay still for pics.  I can't bribe him because he's still too young.  And he's smart enough to know pellets are NOT treats. lol

I'm sorry Ma'am but your rabbit seems to have exploded.

What kind of feeding schedule do you have for the boys?

And what kind of pellet do you feed? I can't recall seeing it so far in the blog. :ph34r2

Samara wrote:
What kind of feeding schedule do you have for the boys?

And what kind of pellet do you feed? I can't recall seeing it so far in the blog. :ph34r2
Dobby, Kreacher & Willard get Zupreem Timothy pellets in the morning and veggies with fruit at night (6-6:30, that's when I get home from work). They have free choice Timothy hay all day.

Neville and Luna (when she gets here) get free choice Alfalfa pellets (Oxbow Essential for Young Rabbits) and free choice Timothy hay all day long. When they hit that 7 month mark, Neville will make the transition to Timothy pellets, but Luna because I'll be breeding her at 7-8 months will stay on the Alfalfa pellets.

K :)

Ahh, I DO remember seeing the Oxbow Essential for Young Rabbits in your blog.

How do you measure out their pellet portions? I've always free fed pellets. The vet never said Bailey (my first rabbit) was overweight...

Now I'm looking at Gubble and thinking he could very well become a wee meatloaf the way he eats.

Molly has a 5 week old litter of 3 right now and I've got them on her Manna Pro pellets plus a mix of Timothy and Alfalfa hay. Molly gets veggies, but none for the wee ones yet!

Samara wrote:
Ahh, I DO remember seeing the Oxbow Essential for Young Rabbits in your blog.

How do you measure out their pellet portions? I've always free fed pellets. The vet never said Bailey (my first rabbit) was overweight...

Now I'm looking at Gubble and thinking he could very well become a wee meatloaf the way he eats.

Molly has a 5 week old litter of 3 right now and I've got them on her Manna Pro pellets plus a mix of Timothy and Alfalfa hay. Molly gets veggies, but none for the wee ones yet!
Believe me took a while for me to figure out after stopping free choice pellets. I started with little less the 1/2 a cup. Wasted pellets each time. So now I'm down to 1/4 cup which seems to be the perfect amount. They now finish everything. And because I've done that they are eating more hay which is less fattening. And in the morning, they do greet me for the pellets but not like they are starving.

Neville was on the Manna Pro when I brought him home. I would have continued on it but the only size bag I could get around here was 50 lbs. My older boys couldn't be on alfalfa based pellets so the only one that would be eating all that was Neville. So thanks to LakeCondo's suggestion, I looked Oxbow Essential up, did some research, and to be perfectly honest, Neville had no problems with the transition.

Sounds good to me. I'm going to give that a shot. The Tractor Supply store in my town sells 25lb and 50lb bags. I buy the 25lb and store it in air tight containers.

I used to feed Oxbow. After Bailey passed away when I brought home Atts and Gubs I stayed with the breeders recommendations (which was the Manna Pro).

Oxbow has always been top notch around the local vet community and Bailey was always healthy. I think the next trip for rabbit food will come with a transition to it.

I like to mix up the Timothy hay with Orchard Grass occasionally also.

Yea I've found my boys like the mixture of Timothy Hay and Orchard grass every once in a while too. Gives them variety.

I've found they like to sleep in the softer grass hays. I can't blame them. I always want to pile it up into a bed too. I love the smell of grass fields!

I guess because I've always had their hay in their litter boxes, they sleep on either the Timothy or the Orchard. They all flop in their, after making sure it's just right. Dobby is funny to watch. He will take individual stalks and move them to where he likes and then flop and then start munching.

Have to agree with you how my house smells after fresh Orchard or Timothy is put out for the boys. Smells really good. Better than air fresheners or perfume sprays.

Kreacher and Dobby today are now 11 months old. I can't believe how fast it went. 9 months ago these little creatures came into our home. I had read load of information but when they came it was such a new experience.

Today they have turned into such gentlemen. They are truly a pleasure to have in our home and bring loads of joy to us every day.

Dobby yesterday was out of his crate roaming the living for 4 hours. It was like he owned the place. Love to see Dobby laying next to Jake, both of them together like it's been like that forever. And that's good. He loves being out of his crate. You have no idea how much he loves it. He's a perfect gentleman and has proved himself worthy of these bouts outside his crate. No poops, no peeing, no chewing, just relaxing. And visiting. Dobby now comes when you call his name. His favorite spot to relax is under my chair in the living room. He loves it there. He can see everything in the living room from every direction. He stretches out there, cleans himself, stretches again, and lays completely flat, sprawled out for a nice nap. But then he gets his burst of energy and boy can you hear him book.

Kreacher is Kreacher. He's the love bunny. When he's out he enjoys his romps but mostly he likes the attention. He eats it up. He will stay with you forever as long as you are massaging the back his neck and scratching between his ears and his forehead. He almost completely fell asleep in my arms yesterday, that's how relaxed he is. Always get the purring and if he really enjoys his massage, I get groomed. This bunny "with attitude" has turned into a gentleman ten fold. He had rough start when we first got him, and the "barbering" incident made us truly aware of what bunnies can do with each other. But once separated from Dobby, he found his own way. And has been a pleasure since the separation.

These two were my starter bunnies. And they have taught me well. And have shown that I got it right and I can do it. And so can they.

Weekend over, back to work. Not much on the boys, they are doing well this morning.

I need to start getting ready for Luna. My husband will be setting up her permanent crate so that the boys will see another is on it's way. My husband has already cleaned and disinfected the temporary crate for that pre-entrance to the tribe.

Also will be sending in my application sometime this week to ARBA. Need to establish ZRabbits. It's time to start putting things in order so that when the times comes, the foundation is secure and steady. It's going to be an interesting time. If you don't know what I'm saying, once Luna is here and part of the tribe, we can concentrate ON the tribe and it's development.

Back