ZRabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ohmahgawd, look at Jacko's FACE! You need to get a picture of him yawning and caption it like a lion! :pleaseplease:

Samara wrote:
ohmahgawd, look at Jacko's FACE! You need to get a picture of him yawning and caption it like a lion! :pleaseplease:

He no longer lives with me :( I rehomed him after he and Anthony decided they couldn't get along. I didn't have space for two xpens and Jacko was very scared of me. I made some mistakes(forcing attention on a shy bun) which caused him to be very flightly with me; so he went to live with an outdoor colony of female rabbits! He always loved being outside

I'm SO sorry I missed that in your post. I feel like an uber chump. :(

I bet he likes having a gaggle of girls though! :)

candykittten wrote:
Samara wrote:

He no longer lives with me :( I rehomed him after he and Anthony decided they couldn't get along. I didn't have space for two xpens and Jacko was very scared of me. I made some mistakes(forcing attention on a shy bun) which caused him to be very flightly with me; so he went to live with an outdoor colony of female rabbits! He always loved being outside
What a cutie Jacko was. Love his mane. So sorry about the lack of bonding between him and Anthony, but you truly did right by him and your Anthony.. Sounds like Jacko is in a really good place now.

I did a few mistakes myself. With my Dobby. But was able, thankfully to win his trust back. Hey, you live and learn right?

K:)

Samara wrote:

The more I learn, the more I'm able to benefit my bunnies. Though I only did research and had no true experience with bunnies, when Kreacher had the spins and rolling, I knew there was something wrong but not what. This experience help me understand the minute I saw Neville.

With Dobby and mishandling as a babe (just didn't truly secure him when I held him), this helped me tone my technique on my other bunnies. Really paying attention help me get Dobby's trust back. Now he's such a cuddly bunny. But still to this day, he gets tense when ready to be put down. I've been able to get his trust on picking him up. He loves to snuggle as well, but when he knows he's getting down, he does struggle. I've learned to make sure I secure his lower back so that he does not injure himself. Also I've learned that he will take advantage, so I have been picking him up again and making him calm before putting him down.

I'm still a bit nervous when they are little. But find gloves did help MY confidence so that I can work with Neville and Luna. Neville is more of a struggler. Luna just loves to be held. She doesn't struggle as much. I'll be a basket case when babies are finally born. Though I've read everything possible, until you actually have the experience you really don't know the technique you will use.

We are looking forward to Neville and Luna growing up. I've already got a crate for them (honeymoon suite I call it). I think the best thing to do is give them neutral ground. I'm going to make sure Luna is ready before trying to rush for babies. As much as I want to experience kits, I want nothing to happen to Luna. She's such a hoot! I'm really enjoying the experience of a doe. My husband is also looking forward to the patter of little kit feet. We even talked it over and might consider just one litter. We don't know until we experience it. Also might even keep the babes for our own.

Whatever the future brings, but we have our backup plans in place. We know completely that life NEVER goes as planned. That's why the "one day at a time" attitude.

ZRabbits wrote:
  Also might even keep the babes for our own. 

[/quote]

come now... surely you can part with just one? :pleaseplease:

candykittten wrote:
ZRabbits wrote:
Also might even keep the babes for our own.

come now... surely you can part with just one? :pleaseplease:

lol, probably but maybe not. I'm hoping for awesome kits. When Neville got real sick the day we brought Luna home, I thought nah, it's just not in the cards for me seeing the combination I picked out. But tonight, after the last dose of meds was given and seeing Neville running and practicing his balance in the x-pen, that light of possible awesome kits blinked on again.

I've really got to study them well. I have been but more for health reasons. Hoping Neville was on the mend, and making sure Luna's stress level in settling in was low. But I also know that Luna still is in that zone of 6-12 weeks were things can happen to a kit (digestive, inner ear,) so she's still in that radar zone of me watching. Tonight I was able to relax and really study their features (eyes of a breeder).

Neville leans more to the Angora side. I can see how some show people can try to pass Lion head's for Angora kits at that age. His mane is really coming in, but his saddle hasn't shown. Absolutely love his ears. Now that he holds them up (during the tilt had a hard time lifting left ear), I can see how wide and short they are. They really look more to me like a Lion (My opinion). He still has wool on his face but his eyes are starting to show. His back feet are very wide and he sat naturally without looking pinched. (Thanks Sarah).

Luna on the otherhand, can see her saddle forming. You can see where the ancestral Neatherland is. Her stripe on the back feels like Netherland. Her ears are like Neville's but a bit longer. Maybe because of the lack of wool on her ears than Neville. She also when sitting naturally has no pinched look. (Very naive eye and will get pro opinion). Karma always comes back to haunt me lol. As I said lion/rex had poofy hair, Luna looks like she's wearing a poofy tiara. I see her mane coming in but her face definitely lacks the wool that Neville does.

Color is another thing. I love Neville's Blue Ears and his coat is turning Lilac. He's more Lilac Tort, like his father than Blue Tort. I'm really looking forward to see what his color is like by 6 months. Loving the lighter color and with Luna's Chocolate, I'm looking forward to chocolate and lilac kits. Whether tort or broken.

I might be too selfish to give one up, but maybe one will catch an eye and I'll let one go. But right now, I'm just enjoying watching them grow, and hoping distilling the trust which will help form a good temperament. A trait which I hope is instilled in their kits.

It's going to be interesting and truly enjoyable and heart warming journey.

Update on ZRabbits:

Dobby is turning out to be such a good bunny. He's the one that gets to have the run of the house. He's our "House" Bunny. Yesterday really showed that he's getting comfortable and responsible. I can now go up and give pets without him thinking I'm going to put him back. Also I can pick him up, cuddle and put him down without any struggle. He's up to about 4 hours now with no issues. He is finding his favorite spots, instead of the one under my chair. He loves to follow us around and when it was dinner time had to check out what Dad was eating. He now comes and begs for treats from my husband. He paws at my husband's leg to let him know he's there and looking. We still put the x-pen up to keep Dobby's distance from the other crates. But he does visit the other bunnies. Now that Kreacher's crate is at floor level, Dobby and Kreacher have now started to interact again. They now acknowledge one another again. Dobby did leave poo marking near Kreacher's crate but nothing destructive or aggressive which is good.

Kreacher is just fascinated with everyone else. I set up the x-pen once Dobby went back to his crate for the little ones. Neville and Luna had a bunny blast. Luna showed my husband what a Bunny 500 was all about. She was ripping. And Kreacher enjoyed watching them. So did Willard. He sat up on his shelf and just observed. It was a very pleasurable experience. My bunnies now know each other and they know they are all safe. No growling or thumping. No aggressive stance. They are just curious of one another. I think how we are doing it is a very good and safe way. They need to know who the tribe is. I know they smell each other and now they see each other.

For Neville, NO MORE MEDS. We finished it all yesterday. And watching him last night, I know My Heart bunny is definitely on that road to recovery. He spent most of his outside run time practicing his balance. Getting more steady and stronger each day. Watching him work his neck back to straight was heartwarming. We had his house in the pen, along with some tubes. And always litter box. Neville hadn't been able to sit on top of his house like he loved to do because of the loss of balance. But he was able to last night. So thrilled. He's been standing up more and more. Before he would roll back because his back legs were a bit weak. Now you can see the strength coming back. Was working on his speed. Finally saw a beautiful Bunny 500. Had an accident. Peed just outside his litter box. But was positive that his litter box skills were coming back. Little set back due to being sick, but know he's getting the idea back again.

Luna, well, she's just a hoot! I'm so loving this experience with a girl. She's just so much different than raising boys. What energy she has, and the confidence. She loved the tubes. First sticking her head in and then by the end of "outside" time, running straight through. Also she smells Neville. It's just funny watching her. She will smell, then look around and stand, then race around and stop to do it all again. Her first "introduction" to her future mate. lol. She's so quick and watching zig zag through the tubes, around the house and litter box is just awesome to watch. And so deliberate with her chin marking. Like "Guess what boys, it's MINE now.". She's really good with the litter box. Much neater than Neville. Or any of the boys.

I love her markings. I never thought I'd have a white bunny, but I think she's just lovely. Her markings around her eyes look like she's wearing glasses. And her marking on her back looks like an upside down exclamation point. Her "Furry Tiara" makes me laugh but I can see her mane coming in. Her personality just shines through. Truly will enjoy watching her grow and mature.

I think it's time to official change your profile to say "Luna" and not "Luna on the way!" :)

So glad everyone is settled in and learning their tribemates. I think you're going to have a smashing rabbitry when that first litter makes its way into the world. You must be 100x as excited as I am, and I'M EXCITED!!!

:yahoo:

Samara wrote:
I think it's time to official change your profile to say "Luna" and not "Luna on the way!" :)

So glad everyone is settled in and learning their tribemates. I think you're going to have a smashing rabbitry when that first litter makes its way into the world. You must be 100x as excited as I am, and I'M EXCITED!!!

:yahoo:

Thanks forgot all about that! Updated my profile.

And am truly excited. Thanks for being excited for me as well.

Update on ZRabbits:

Neville is truly getting his strength and spunk back. Yesterday in his outside play time he worked with stretching his neck. His tilt is not as noticeable as before. He definitely has his balance back because he's running, darting, changing direction with no problems whatsoever. So far all looks good. Dr. Joe had the right prescription to get my boy back to how he was before he got sick.

Went out and got Luna a new food bowl so she would stop playing hockey with her small food bowl. She would wipe it around or carry it around so I had to do something. She's very happy now with her new one.

Dobby is so funny. He's our "Don't mess with the schedule" type of bunny. We didn't get the boys and Luna out in the morning. Lazy Sunday I guess. So when Dobby was let out for his afternoon run, he immediately went to the kitchen and waited under my husband chair for raisins. My husband obliged. The others don't mind a bit of a change, but Dobby, he's set in his ways. He's the one that got upset the first road trip for Neville. But when we got Luna, Dobby was more upset about Neville. They all were concerned including Jake. Amazing how they all sensed his illness.

Crate cleaning went well. Did it a little different this time. My husband held each one as I cleaned. It was good because they all got a massage while I was making sure their environment was clean. They all enjoyed the contact and then enjoyed messing up their crates to the way they like it. Rearrangement is a priority. lol

Monday morning, back to work.

Hahaha Harvey plays hockey with his bowl. Or tries too. And it's a heavy dish too. I'll hear him in my bed room rearranging things that I have left out.

Update of ZRabbits:

Neville and Luna just love their evening runs in the X-pen. We both laugh at their antics. Neville getting stronger every day!

Kreacher is loving watching the little ones. We moved Kreacher to the bottom crate and I think he's enjoying seeing everything. He's always been on top but now has a different view. He comes to the front of his crate and watches. No stomping or aggression at all. He's just curious. He sits in his litter box, munching on hay and watches the little one's antics. He's even come to the front of his crate when Dobby is out. I think they remember their past bond. No aggression at all. Just a little tension though with Willard. Kreacher just doesn't trust him. Which I respect and keep both of them out of harms way.

Time for work. Everyone one have a good day!

k:)

Update on ZRabbits:

Dobby is becoming more and more our "House" Bunny. Last night was the first time he fought me to go back. He just wasn't ready. And wasn't interested in returning to his crate. Boy did he fight me when I picked him up. So much so that he actually jumped from my arms. I made sure I was as close to the floor as possible to avoid injury. So went and picked up again, did the same thing. He still didn't want to go back to his crate. So after the third time, I sat with him and held him to calm him down. We worked it out and he went back in his crate quietly. This morning was better. He's starting to realize and understand. I know he's not really keen on being held for a period of time, but he's got to get to understand when it's time, it's time.

Dobby has started a new way to binky. He will be perfectly still and then all of sudden air borne. By about two foot. Lands, looks around, and then takes off with a big kick. It's just funny to watch. He's just such a strong bunny. He's my biggest at at about 5 pounds. And it's definitely not fat. He's built solid. These romps around the house has given him loads of exercise and responsibility. He's an angel when out. He and Jake get along very well. To a point where they now understand each other. Dobby has found different spots in the house to relax. His favorites are under my chair in the living room, stretched out in front of the curio, stretched out in front of the stereo, or to the right of his crate. Sometimes he will hop into the kitchen and spend time under my husband chair grooming. That's usually his spot in the morning when we get them out for their morning run in the kitchen.

Neville and Luna are starting to get with the program here. They now know when the other bunnies get excited or hearing a bag move, that it's "TREAT" Time. They are both eating well, drinking plenty, and have found that hay is pretty good stuff to eat, other than pellets. They both love their Wheat Grass. 4 strands of it each twice a day. After that, they do eat and then a healthy rest. They also are getting into the routine of exercise. They enjoy their morning runs and I have been giving them evening runs in the x-pen at night. They are separate. They won't be introduced to each other for a while. But they do know each other is there.

Groomed Neville for the first time last night since his illness. And he's back to his ole curious self. I haven't flipped him yet because I don't want to scare him after his spinning incident. I don't want to stir anything up yet. I am finding that if I let them run first, that grooming is a lot easier when they are more relaxed. Less scratching and boy are those baby nails wicked.

Willard, as an intact male, is still such a sweetheart. No spraying at all so far. But very acute to his surroundings. Nothing gets past him. No aggression is shown. Actually he's starting to bond with me now. He bonded straight away with my Husband. But now as I open his crate, he's there for scratches and loves for me to talk to him. It took awhile for him to warm up to me. He tolerated me for a bit, but it seems like the bonding with both of us with Willard has finally happened. He likes his morning run, but is not too keen on being out and about in the living room. I think he's still a bit insecure regarding big spaces. Hopefully we can build that up because I know he would love the full run.

Kreacher is Kreacher. He will never change. He's our thinker. It may sounds funny to you but it seems like he observes and than calculates everything. Even giving him treats, he needs to inspect it, inspect your hand, definitely needs a scratch on his forehead before he takes anything from you. But when you pick him up to groom him or just a snuggle, he just melts. Loves the attention. Loves to be held and enjoys his time with us.

It just amazes me how individual they really are. And knowing that and respecting that has been such an eye opening education. It truly helps the bonding process if you really get to know the individual behind that cute bunny face.

One thing I'm learning from my Luna, girls know what they want and not afraid to ask. Luna now goes to my husband and paws his leg for Wheat grass. It took the boys a little while to get that down pat, but not our little Girl. She's right on top of it.

Very curious and very bold. Extremely quick. Love to watch her do her maneuvers. Little ones like to practice. Neville is picking up speed as well each day. He's calmer now regarding picking up due to all the time with medication. But he's starting to get feisty again, which is excellent. He wants to see every thing.

It's fun to have babies in the house.

Latest posts

Back